Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:18:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTribes Ascend
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Tribes Ascend  (Read 13328 times)
Dragonmaw
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »

Anyone else in the beta?

I'm enjoying it so far. It's no Tribes or Tribes 2, but it definitely captures the feel of Tribes better than Vengeance or Section 8 have.

Also I'm a bit disappointed in how certain weapons are very clearly outright upgrades rather than sidegrades or new options (Stealth Spinfusor and Thumper leap to mind)

Anyway, name is Tegiminis. Play with me! I also have two spare keys.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »

I've been playing frequently, I really like it.

I never played the predecessors, but from a fresh perspective I feel like it's a really solid game. I get the feeling this is the kind of FPS that could be played competitively.

My name is Vanof. Whoo!
I have spare keys as well.

But you can also get in the beta by liking their Tribes Ascend Facebook page.  Smiley

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »

Quote from: Wikipedia
Tribes: Ascend is an upcoming free-to-play multiplayer-only first-person shooter

Hi-Rez will also sell cosmetic items such as player skins, along with boosters that allow players to gain tokens and experience at a faster rate. Players earn in-match credits during matches for killing enemies, repairing structures or capturing objectives. Credits are then used to buy vehicles, supply drops, Tactical and Orbital strikes and base upgrades.

ok bye
Dragonmaw
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »

The in-match credits have been part of the Tribes series since forever, so that's not really anything new. But yeah, the F2P stuff is a bit annoying.
dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »

Quote from: Wikipedia
Tribes: Ascend is an upcoming free-to-play multiplayer-only first-person shooter

Hi-Rez will also sell cosmetic items such as player skins, along with boosters that allow players to gain tokens and experience at a faster rate. Players earn in-match credits during matches for killing enemies, repairing structures or capturing objectives. Credits are then used to buy vehicles, supply drops, Tactical and Orbital strikes and base upgrades.

ok bye

That is worded in a rather confusing way. The credits are completely seperate from the cash shop and for a single round only. More along the lines of Counter-Strike or Section 8 for example. You kill stuff, capture flags and can buy some toys as a reward. Once the map changes, you lose the credits and start from scratch.

But yeh, the cash-shop has stopped me from playing it. I don't mind the "pay to get there faster" thing when it is reasonable. However, I don't feel it's reasonable to have to play over 200 rounds on average just to unlock some weapon for a class which you then have to further upgrade with further exp. Way too slow.

If you want to try it, I've got a spare invite key you could use. It is fun, albeit personally I much prefer Section 8.

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 02:29:01 PM »

Got in to the beta, don't really like it. Hard to explain why, but it's probably because the physics for the weapons are so different from what I'm used to. I think TF2's physics are just too well-ingrained in my brain and I can't learn another FPS.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »

Motion inheritance is the best.

As an aside, I greatly prefer the design of Section 8 over Tribes Ascend, but Ascend captures the "Tribes" feel far better.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:53:58 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »

is the beta hard to get into? I have a key I'm not using so if anyone wants it...
AshfordPride
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »

is the beta hard to get into? I have a key I'm not using so if anyone wants it...

All you have to do is like their Facebook page to get a key.
HDSanctum
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 06:29:53 PM »

I played a little. Maybe it's because I sucked or didn't play enough, but from my experience I felt the weapons were imblananced. Sniper rifle is total junk, things move so fast you can hardly hit anyone but when you finally do it does pathetic damage. Machine guns are also hard to aim in the fast paced environment which basically reduces the gameplay to shoot an explode-y weapon at the ground where the enemy will land.

I didn't play any past tribes games.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 07:06:45 PM »

Sniper rifle is a matter of positioning. Try to line up with the direction the other guy is moving--much easier to track. As for damage, I totally agree.

The machine guns take getting used to but that's why you get a Tracer DX as a secondary.(which is SUPER EFFECTIVE.) Machine guns are good for enemies who are constantly flying or when you otherwise can't predict where they're going to land. And just like the sniper, if you're lined up with the enemy it's easy enough to rack up damage.

Also: about 80% of the current playerbase I've played against is used to mainly dealing with explosive-type weapons, so if you're decent with a machine gun you can totally annihilate.

AshfordPride
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »

Machine guns are also hard to aim in the fast paced environment which basically reduces the gameplay to shoot an explode-y weapon at the ground where the enemy will land.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »

Quality fucking post, Samtagonist.
AshfordPride
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 05:53:36 AM »

Quality fucking post, Samtagonist.

UHF is a quality film.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »

ok bye
I guess that is the problem with free-to-play shit.

Aside from that you are just exposing yourself by floating around in open and plain areas. That can make sense in mech-warrior but not in a fast-paced shooter. Doesn't look like depth of play, rather a mess. Unreal Tournament Classic a decade ago is still the most sophisticated shooter, devs haven't learned much since then.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:18:47 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 08:07:09 AM »

How I wish this game wasn't free to play with experience points and unlockables.  Concerned
AshfordPride
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 08:35:33 AM »

How I wish this game wasn't free to play with experience points and unlockables.  Concerned

The worst thing about free to play games is when people advertise stuff along the lines of "AND BEST OF ALL, IT'S FREE". 

Fuck you.  Fuck you!  I'm over here 170,000 credits away from getting a new gun.  I would've gladly payed twenty, thirty, forty dollars for this game, but now I have to ENDURE this mess.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »

yeah and if you want to buy your way in you'll pay the price of a full game for a character and a half (or in this game's case a gun and a half?)
iffi
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »

Apparently open beta's starting this Friday along with a content patch: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/22/swoop-in-the-tribes-ascend-beta-this-friday/

Seems fairly interesting, I might give it a try then.
andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 12:25:19 PM »

The beta has been tons of fun, I'm looking forward to the full release.

Also here is an open Steam group people can join if they so desire: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/shazbots
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic