Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:47:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTribes Ascend
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Tribes Ascend  (Read 13339 times)
AshfordPride
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2012, 05:18:32 AM »

New update added little badges that unlock with cumulative kills, repairs, flag grabs, etc. They also give you XP (the in-game currency).

You can rack up like 30k xp in an hour now.

Needless to say I'm quite pleased. Much better unlock curve.

Hot damn!  And just like that, I feel compelled to play Tribes again.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 04:58:03 PM »

I played last night and found dragonmaw online, so I played with him a bit. Holy crap is it annoying trying to kill him as a raider  Sad

Lag started getting crazy after a while though which really sucked. Made it impossible to use spray weapons.

Also there were some snipers hitting me from across the map while moving perpendicular to them even with the lag going, so what the hell? There's no way someone can pull that off is there? I don't know. I feel like saying hax but I don't wanna jump to conclusions because I might just suck at sniping.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »

Sniping is the only hitscan, so it's not impossible. I once sniped a flag carrier moving perpendicular to me right as he was about to cap our flag. Best shot I've ever made.

Also, you were chasing me? What was your name? Were you that annoying jerk who kept changing classes specifically to counter me?  Angry Hand Shake Right
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure the visible tracers with the starting machine gun don't synch up with the actual ones. It could be latency related (I think I had 14 ping though), but it feels sloppy and I was convinced it was hitscan bullshit until looking it up just now.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 05:55:54 PM »

It's just weird behavior on the bullet projectiles. Their hit boxes are... strange.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 06:27:30 PM »

My handle is Vanof.
Changing classes to counter you would have just been a coincidence, but damn it seemed like every time I went out I would encounter you. It was really weird. Waaagh!

Dragonmaw
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 06:36:50 PM »

Yep, it was you. I swear to god you seemed to chase me specifically and change classes to counter me, lmao. I was wondering why I had my own personal nemesis.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 07:56:41 PM »

Thinking back on it, I remember your name was almost always above your head, which made it really easy to spot/track you. One time you were like all the way across the map and I still saw your name, it was wacky. I'm guessing it's a friend system glitch, because I know it does that when I have friends on my team too.

iffi
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2012, 09:13:38 PM »

Sniping is the only hitscan, so it's not impossible.
Well, the shotgun(s) and I think the Soldier's Eagle Pistol (haven't tried that one but the description suggests it) are also hitscan, but of course those have much shorter range than the sniper rife.

When I started up the game today, it reset all my gameplay-related settings. o_O
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2012, 09:23:11 PM »

It seems to have done that after the last patch, I don't know why.

Also: yes the Shotgun is definitely hitscan, but that's in a whole different use class. I don't know about the Eagle Pistol though since I've never used it.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2012, 10:26:51 PM »

I want new Tribes Vengeance   Hand Metal Left Evil Hand Metal Right

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »

Jackal, Throwing Knives, Smoke Grenade, Skins, New Arena Map Where You Don't Fall Off The Edge Every Minute.

Disqus.

iffi
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »

I really want the Jackal. Evil
The rest I don't care all that much about. The smoke grenade seems pretty useful, but I'm not about to give up my sticky grenades for that (though if I had either the Jackal or the Stealth Spinfusor I might consider it).
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »

Too bad Hi-Rez is determined to keep the physics as unresponsive and backwards as possible because "people are already used to it", despite all of the core fanbase on the forums being very vocal about fixing a handful of major things.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2012, 08:03:56 PM »

What are peoples' problems with it, specifically?

Also it's really funny how 99% of all inf's with jackals are failing hard b/c none of them are used to it yet. Good times.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:14 PM »

There's a few things, but the two biggest are inheritance (projectiles maintaining the direction of the gun that shoots them, like real life) and how the jetpack works.

With the inheritance, in real life, when a plane is flying and drops a bomb, the bomb carries the same forward momentum.  It doesn't just drop straight down from where it was.  This means that if you're flying in the air, and someone else is flying in the air alongside you, you shoot at them, you hit them.  Currently, inheritance is at 50%, which means it gets half of your directional momentum.   This is insane, because it means the projectile isn't going where you're shooting, or where you shot, but somewhere in between based on how fast you're going.  People want it to either be 0% like TF2, or 100% like real life.  Having it be somewhere in between just makes no sense and means that you need to take a bag of extra variables into account just to reliably shoot a dude.  Not just where you are relative to them, and what directions you're both moving, but how fast you're moving and how much lead you need to add given that your projectile will have half of your momentum.  Also if you throw a grenade behind you while moving forwards it will go ahead of you and hit you, sometimes.

As for jetpacks, as I understand it they don't actually confer upwards thrust, they simply change your velocity.  This means that if you're falling, even if you have a full charge, your jetpack isn't going to be able to make you go up.  It turns out that the jetpack code their using is just modified strafing formulas or something from Unreal. 

They straight up refuse to actually go back and recode core aspects of the game.  They mock their fanbase by saying "we fixed physics people were complaining about" in patch notes and then removing server flags to modify inheritance variables.

They're not interested in making the game appealing to the core fans, they're trying to push tournament oriented play so they can rent out servers, etc.  They pretty much have indicated that they don't think it will "last" so they're trying to turn it out for as much quick cash as they can get.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »

Wow.  Facepalm

Yeah, those are actually the two things that have bugged me the most.

They still have an opportunity to save themselves since it's open beta. Erk.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2012, 08:48:32 PM »

No, after months of petitioning and reasoned arguments about why they should change these things, Hi-Rez officially stated that they aren't going to change the core physics because people are 'already used to them.'  It is exceedingly likely that they will put in the effort to sort this stuff out.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »

It's not 100% physics inheritance which makes the physics on spinfusors and grenades feel really weird
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2012, 09:24:18 PM »

My friend who has been a longtime Tribes fan for years literally dug up dozens of videos of dogs jumping out of car windows, people shooting while walking sideways, throwing things off of jetboats, etc, to post on forums to explain why 100% inheritance is important and intuitive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic