Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:01:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopSkeledad - Art Asset Improvement
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Skeledad - Art Asset Improvement  (Read 1584 times)
machine empathy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »

Hey guys, I'm Madrick, and I'm the art and sound asset developer for a little two-man game dev group. We basically just two friends who work on silly little projects in our spare time as a hobby. Currently we're working on a project we're calling referring to as "Skeledad," (final name pending) which involves a reanimated skeleton dad who must find his son. You guys helped me out tremendously on a previous game called "Jim" earlier (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=20576) but I'm putting that to the side for now to focus on a bit less ambitious of a project.

Here's a half-mockup rendition with some of the assets I've made so far:

Here Skeledad is standing on the outskirts of the graveyard, with his newly acquired demon-possessed Rapier. Waaagh!
The background is very much a placeholder. Most of the tiles and especially the character sprite are also Works-In-Progress.  

An incomplete charged slashing attack (yes, I realize Rapiers are for stabbing but this one has DEMONS):

Basically what I'm going for with this is a very dark fantasy, almost castlevania feel. The game will focus on platforming and technical combo-based melee combat with dodging, blocks, parries, and counter attacks. Think "Dark Souls" combined with Castlevania in 2D.

Please tell me your thoughts and ideas for improvements if you have them! Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:16:18 PM by maddy » Logged
Kevin
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »

I find the sprite to be a bit busy or messy or something. I did a quick edit:

I think the you have a good start with the use of that dark green/yellow you used for the outline and felt that this sprite is a case where using a heavy outline around the whole thing would be to your advantage, especially if you plan on using the bright green outline of the contour. Without the full dark outline, the silhouette is messed up where the bright green meets the white of the bones. Using the outline/heavier shadows also allowed for some internal anti-aliasing, which helps smooth out the shape of the bones and sword. The only other thing worth mentioning is that I gave the pure greys a yellow/greenish tint, as pure grey can be a bit boring visually.
machine empathy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »

Working on side characters. Here's a first draft of a female swordsman:

I'm not too good with faces, unfortunately. Still trying to figure out if this is the right scale for the sprite.

I find the sprite to be a bit busy or messy or something. I did a quick edit:

INSIGHTFUL CONTRIBUTION

Thanks for the edit. When I made the character sprite, I basically just placed pixels in random spots until it looked "right." I knew the pose and palette were a little wonky, but I didn't know exactly what to work on. Now I've got a pretty clear idea. I'll work on that now.

EDIT:

(Ignore the flashing ribcage, that's the .gif creation software's fault)
I learned a LOT from working on this. I started with the original sprite and followed the guidelines set by your fantastic edit. Hopefully it retained some of the original idea without drawing on your style TOO heavily.

"Why is he breathing?" You might ask. That's... Uhh. The answer.. is...

AH. PHANTOM LUNG SYNDROME.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:20:08 PM by Madrick » Logged
machine empathy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:23:40 AM »

Working on side characters. Here's a first draft of a female swordsman:

Worked on this character a bit more tonight:

I'm pretty happy with how the sprite turned out. The portrait could use some more work.
machine empathy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »

GOONS

Not entirely sure what color scheme to go with on this guy. He's a fairly strong, yet dumb enemy type.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »

that goon looks cool, except the skull is facing a weird direction. love all the art so far!

galjic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »

GOONS

Not entirely sure what color scheme to go with on this guy. He's a fairly strong, yet dumb enemy type.

perhaps it could vary on skeledads location or on their health and methods of approach
machine empathy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »

Haven't posted in a while, so here's a representation of what I've been working on lately:

Several parts are still WIP, but I'm fairly happy with how things are progressing. The background is parallax.
machine empathy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »

Dirt is now 10x sexier.

Going to be working on detailing the bricks next.

EDIT:

Waaagh! AWW YEAH Waaagh!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:46:11 PM by Madrick » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic