Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1057469 Posts in 42961 Topics- by 34894 Members - Latest Member: ReverendTed

October 25, 2014, 09:08:26 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackPlaytestingSlender Man Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Slender Man Game  (Read 1770 times)
Schwiggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »

Making this caused dream-stalking.

It's true, I was stalked by Slender Man in my dreams during the development of the game - complete with the camera effects happening to my vision, asleep, and awake in daydreams. That'll teach me to make a horror game where the AI requires lots of testing.

Anyway, here are some clips from the game; sorry in advance for the graphics Tongue Though some people have said they add to the scariness, tell me what you think.
Youtube Video

I was given 3-4 weeks to complete a scary game for a Halloween competition (during the comp orange08 started a thread here about what makes games scary), and this was the result. If you like weeping angels from Dr. Who then you'll be able to figure out Slendy's AI pretty fast, but I still find it difficult to make it through without blacking out at least once. So give it a play, tell me what you think!

Slender Man game page on my site

Direct Dropbox Download

Controls are WASD, left mouse button, and right mouse button. Use them on stuff  Smiley
Hitting escape will cause you to exit the game immediately.

I'd like feedback regarding the 'experience' you had, since it's a somewhat atmospheric game. Even just saying what happened, what you did, and how you felt is good, or an analysis of your own is great as well. Any other aspect you want to comment on is fair game too, that's just my focus with this experiment is all.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:40:19 AM by Schwiggy » Logged

metaldemon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »

hey hey hey!

I tested this. and might i say the engine runs real nice! what did you use to make this ? =D

Gameplay wise:

the gameplay is good, but you should add some brief info on controls at the start.
and only after a few minutes I figured you need to go away from the ghosts or hallucinations to live longer. also I didn't get the Tap Spacebar element in a couple of encounters.

Graphics wise:

Graphics are great! I like the grayish colors and the cripsering of the view when encountering something scary. The sprites would fit better in the 3d world if they have a somewhat higher resolution or more different colors to help them stand out.
cause despite all my years of playing doom and wolfenstein I could easily see like: oeh that lantern is a sprite

Sound wise:

Just... great! the sound is what glues it all together. Smiley

I'm looking forward to see more games from you. =D

Jcup
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »

Holy crap!
That was intense after watching all the slenderman movies, this game has scared the crap out of me. This is amazing, I don't think I've been so scared in a game before! It's fantastic!

Oh btw there are 2 executables, run the one inside of the bin folder for it to work Smiley Idk if the game maker wants to fix that but yeah ha.

Great job dude!

Schwiggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »

Thanks metaldemon for the in-depth feedback! It's really helpful. The tap spacebar element is supposed to only be present until you win a grapple-fight; but I can see how it might be good to leave it up as a reminder also.

Jcup thanks also, I'm so sorry about that. I can't believe it but that "2nd executable" is actually a shortcut to the correct one - but only for my harddrive. Apparently Windows doesn't allow relative shortcuts... So I've changed the name of bin to gamefiles to make it more welcoming and removed the dummy shortcut. In the future if I have to do that I'll make a launcher application and put that in place of the shortcut.

And I'm really glad you've enjoyed it  Beer!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic