Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:25:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 782449 times)
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: November 28, 2012, 11:37:23 AM »

how big are the sprites?  Is the sprite grid a fixed size or is it divided within the picture file?
Sprites do not have a fixed size. If you'd want to use higher resolution textures, say you wanted all the wall textures to be 64x64 instead of 16x16 all you have to do is make the the textures file 256 pixels wide instead of 64 and then draw your textures, same goes for the sprites file and so on.

I'm not quite sure how the grid is made, I can't say if you could add a fifth column to the sprites or entities files but I'd guess no, dividing the the width of the files by a fixed amount like 4 for the textures or sprite file would be the easiest way to figure out the size of the textures/sprites in the image.
PlanetsFly
Level 0

Alpha Tester

View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: November 28, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »

OMG I made it to level 14 but then I died Sad

Oh BTW Chad do you know by when the new update will release?

The next update is going to be basically another round of polish. I want to upgrade to the latest version Lwjgl to hopefully fix some OSX issues, the hud getting cutoff on resize and some music related stuttering, and fix a bunch of lingering smaller gameplay bugs like not being able to pickup items in water and how the potions sometimes change effects between levels.

I'd also like to give the boss more of an introduction, right now he attacks right out of the gate which is a bit unfair considering his beam spell and you barely get a chance to register what you're fighting. I don't want to pause the game to play some custscene though, thinking I could just make his first spell a buff with some fancy visual effects and a brief invulnerability period to give him some more on-screen time.

2 Questions..

Do you plan on adding Co-op or something online to play with your friends?

Can you add NPCs that we can interact with?

Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: November 28, 2012, 12:49:14 PM »

Stahp ignoring me chad!
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2003 on: November 28, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »

Stahp ignoring me chad!

I read your message about the bows and wands, I filed it in the useful feedback part of my brain and moved on. I didn't see any reason to reply to it, there was no question Tongue
Gix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: November 28, 2012, 05:04:14 PM »

The next update is going to be basically another round of polish. I want to upgrade to the latest version Lwjgl to hopefully fix some OSX issues, the hud getting cutoff on resize and some music related stuttering, and fix a bunch of lingering smaller gameplay bugs like not being able to pickup items in water and how the potions sometimes change effects between levels.
Speaking of the OSX client, my system (v10.8.2) says Delver is damaged and needs to be trashed.

Sad

The 11-03-12 build (.jar) runs fine though.

- Gix
a6n0rma1
Level 0

I am rubber...you are glue...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2005 on: November 29, 2012, 01:38:33 AM »

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but if you kill a monster and it drops loot in the water, you can't pick it up. Just constant water particles are seen where the loot dropped. It's a shame to lose great items, just because when you killed the monster it was above water.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:52:36 AM by a6n0rma1 » Logged
Follower
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: November 29, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »

You need to boost the health of the boss, two hits from a lightening wand and he's out.
Riflenator1234
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: November 29, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »

Hey Chad, I have an idea to make the boss longer. You could make it so that he can block your attacks but he has to charge his spell for a short time. That would be a window for the player to hit him.
Suedeash
Level 0

That guy.

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: December 01, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »

Hey, Chad, now that you've hit the big 'alpha' stage, why don't you test out multiplayer? What about an infinite dungeons mode, where you can actually place torches around you? You can't break 16x16 tiles or entities, or place them, except torches. Torches could be used to mark shelters maybe? And maybe they'd burn out? And maybe wear-able skulls, which could turn you into a skeleton or something for a short period of time? I dunno.... O~O
Also, could you make it so that when you make a DelvEdit world, it actually saves it as a save file? Right now it's very difficult to save DelvEdit maps then actually use them.
PlanetsFly
Level 0

Alpha Tester

View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: December 01, 2012, 01:57:04 PM »

Yeah I got the 2012th post :D lol
whitewolfmusic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2010 on: December 01, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »

Yeah I got the 2012th post :D lol

Pah, 2012 is so... yesterday! I'm from the future!  Wizard
wy477wh173
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2011 on: December 01, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »

That makes me future +1!! Also, I bought the alpha for myself. I love it, the PC controls are 100% better on PC than Android. Really like it, Good job.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: December 01, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »

Hey... Whitewolf?
Is there some red thing trying to eat your avatar's face?

whitewolfmusic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2013 on: December 02, 2012, 05:50:05 AM »

Hey... Whitewolf?
Is there some red thing trying to eat your avatar's face?

No.. o.o But you have a lot of fantasy - I see what you mean. xD
Well, I'll get new artwork soon anyway. Smiley
Spilli
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: December 02, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »

Have you though about adding a portal system to try and optimize the rendering of the scene?
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2015 on: December 03, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »

Hell month begins. I'm moving cross country in January to live in SF, this is the month I get to pack up and empty the house and generally freak out. Probably not going to be too productive for Delver, going to limit myself to releasing a pack of smaller bug fixes.

Have you though about adding a portal system to try and optimize the rendering of the scene?

I've given it soem thought, I could turn every 17 x 17 chunk of tiles into a sector and place portals on tiles that bridge chunks - in a dungeon that's usually a 1x1 hallway. Any bottlenecks now are CPU side though, I wouldn't get much of a speed increase by doing that.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2016 on: December 03, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »

Congrats and good luck with the move Chad!  Beer!

Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: December 03, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »

Hell month begins. I'm moving cross country in January to live in SF, this is the month I get to pack up and empty the house and generally freak out. Probably not going to be too productive for Delver, going to limit myself to releasing a pack of smaller bug fixes.

Oh god. I've moved a couple times from state to state on a month's notice (c'est la vie for an army family), and it's always nuts. Best of luck so that everything arrives in San Fran in one piece.
Spilli
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: December 05, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »

I've given it soem thought, I could turn every 17 x 17 chunk of tiles into a sector and place portals on tiles that bridge chunks - in a dungeon that's usually a 1x1 hallway. Any bottlenecks now are CPU side though, I wouldn't get much of a speed increase by doing that.

I totally understand what you mean. I've been doing some experiments with Octrees. If you don't have a large quantity of objects clustered together it's just unnecessary overhead, and the frame rate can possibly drop.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2019 on: December 05, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »

I totally understand what you mean. I've been doing some experiments with Octrees. If you don't have a large quantity of objects clustered together it's just unnecessary overhead, and the frame rate can possibly drop.

I was just looking at implementing some octrees for cutting out collision checks, but it seemed like overkill for what I need. Instead I'm going with a simple spatial hash system - building a hash of entities every frame indexed by their rough x & y tile positions.

I was still worried about the performance hit from building that hash every frame, thankfully it seems okay. Doesn't seem to be thrashing the garbage collector too much.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic