Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:38:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 779734 times)
elija
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: January 19, 2013, 10:54:32 PM »

Just bump into this Smiley
Good old school feel - King's Quest 3D. I like it!
Odkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: January 20, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »

Just had an idea that I don't recall being implemented anywhere but I think would be great for a game like this. 

Referencing a map is a distraction, and there would never be a magical "you are here" function in reality. As an alternative to the map or minimap, would it be possible to overlay "footprints" onto any part of the floor that was already been visited?  That way the player could freely wander knowing whether or not he's ventured into a fresh area.  Footprints would exist in real life, so it actually makes more sense than a magic map.

Anyway, it seems like it'd be fairly easy to implement too.  Has any other 3d dungeon crawl used a scheme like that to show a player where he's been?
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: January 20, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »

Well with recent engine developments it sounds like footprints would be possible, but it would also be a lot more data to save.

That said, I for one thing removing the map would be bad, at least if footprints where the only thing marking the way since you'd quickly have them all over and they don't make sense on all floors, none of them really unless the first two levels are muddy.

Also, I think a "magic map" makes perfect sense in a world with floating eyeballs that shoot lasers, not to mention a world where magic exists.
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2083 on: January 20, 2013, 06:00:18 PM »

i agree with the person above, odkin: i don't think its a good idea, mostly because minimaps are something i refer to all the time! the game is very confusing without it and i find myself getting lost without referring to it. i personally don't like footprint ideas because it would be just plain confusing, considering that you would have so many ontop of each other, eventually leading to a big footprint shaped mess.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2084 on: January 22, 2013, 09:01:49 AM »

Just had an idea that I don't recall being implemented anywhere but I think would be great for a game like this. 

Referencing a map is a distraction, and there would never be a magical "you are here" function in reality. As an alternative to the map or minimap, would it be possible to overlay "footprints" onto any part of the floor that was already been visited?  That way the player could freely wander knowing whether or not he's ventured into a fresh area.  Footprints would exist in real life, so it actually makes more sense than a magic map.

Anyway, it seems like it'd be fairly easy to implement too.  Has any other 3d dungeon crawl used a scheme like that to show a player where he's been?

The real benefit of the map is that you can open it and see that you missed an intersection on the complete opposite side of the floor. With the footprints you'd still know where you had been, but not where you should be going next.

I watched a fair bit of youtube playthroughs when there wasn't a map, and in most I saw people circle the same area over and over again instead of backtracking to find the unexplored area, getting really frustrated in the process. After the map, people pop it up and immediately see where they haven't been yet.
fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: January 22, 2013, 05:20:21 PM »

I'm not sure if this would ultimately be a good idea, but you could have a map pick-up on each floor that activates the map for that floor. Not sure if that would be a good middle ground or if it would be better left as it is, which personally I find to work fine anyway.
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: January 22, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »

I personally like the feeling of completing the entire map.
So don't listen to their crazy realism Wink
bexsella
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: January 22, 2013, 10:10:07 PM »

The map really adds to that rogue-like feel of the game.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2088 on: January 23, 2013, 09:23:54 AM »

The UVs may be off a bit Smiley

I could make a decent size album of glitch screenshots at this point.
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2089 on: January 23, 2013, 09:49:37 AM »

MAKE A RELEASE  Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: January 23, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »

So what exactly is the current goal for the next release?

Delver is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                 Smiley
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2091 on: January 23, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »

So what exactly is the current goal for the next release?

More content, and fleshing out the dungeons a bit with special features like the giant statue above. I want to add enough where people that have played the previous versions see a noticeable difference.
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: January 23, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

If that statue starts walking, I'm going to push for a "sprint" function.
ShivanGaming
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: January 24, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »

Do you think that a keybinding system will be implemented sometime?
MikeRatzlaff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: January 24, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »

Hi! This is my first post so I'll throw out a quick introduction:

I found Delver while searching for some cool rogue-likes for my androids.  I bought it on my phone, then on my tablet and my PC (so you could say that I support Rogue three-ways Wink  Oh I'm so punny!)  Like many here I'm a big fan of UW and SS and all LGS games so of course I see huge potential in Delver.

I've been playing with Delver a bit:
  • My first mod project was that I noticed that the "Seiseki's Enchanted Delver" package on the wiki doesn't work with the latest (0.65) version of Delver, so I've been fixing that.  It mostly works now but still has random crashes and since there is no log output I can only guess at what the problems are and then guess at how to fix them.
  • Next I started working on my own mod, based on graphics from Tiles for NetHack, Stone Soup, and other open-source RPGs.  That's mostly done except for the monster animations.  Mostly I did this because I wanted to see how Delver looked with 32x32 instead of 16x16 graphics.
  • Now I'm working on a UW1 mod for it and it's looking pretty nice.  I've got most of the textures, items, and UI done.  I haven't yet found a utility to rip monster sprites from UW but I've seen the file specs posted so I might just have to write my own.  This one I'm doing at everything at 64x64 and it looks pretty sharp.
  • Another project I'm trying is to enhance the map generator - Sometimes it makes very small maps (I once got one that had a begin, 2 curves, and an end - boring!) and I want to make it either fill the entire map or guarantee a certain number of tiles are used (say a minimum of 8 or so) on a map.  I also want to add a chance to create an isolated area that is only accessible via ladder from another level (like level 7/8 in UW1).  I could also made it so that a series of connected isolated areas would form a tower (like the tower in UW1 at the top of which is a piece of the 3-part key) and would put the key to level 7 at the top of this tower but I don't know if all that back tracking would just be annoying.

Anyway, on to a few bugs I've been seeing:
  • When rendering a wall texture, it seems the the engine isn't quite rending the whole texture.  It's shaving a few pixels off the pixel column on the far right side of the texture.  This isn't very noticeable with 16x16 walls, but you can see it with 32x32 and really notice it with 64x64.  Same with the floor tiles - if you stand facing north and look straight down, the right-most pixel column is smaller than all the other pixel columns.
  • It seems that flying mobs have a bug in their collision detection and can often fly into the ceiling and the floor.  Seems like they are clipped against solid walls but not clipped when flying in a high ceiling tile to a lower ceiling tile - they can pass right into the ceiling of that tile and fly around there.  Also it seems that the bat hitbox is to the right of center.  I haven't seen this on other monsters.
  • I think mobs can spawn and there is no check for existing mobs in that space.  I sometimes see mobs stuck together and I assumed they both went through a teleporter.  But then I will kill them and scour the level for a teleporter that lands on that square and I can't find one.  Also, sometimes I am just walking around and suddenly I can't move and I'm taking damage.  I start attacking wildly and eventually something dies and I can move again.  I think a mob just spawned into my space.
  • Sometimes the text over-lay stops working.  If I am near an object and looking directly at it, then the description won't show  Also if I try to pick it up but can't then I won't see the "No Room" message.  But other text like my health display and hovering on items in my inventory still works.
  • On the map, sometimes it marks the stairs in a square next to the square that the stairs are actually in.  Also the arrow isn't centered properly - it can sometimes show that you are in a wall when you're not.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2095 on: January 25, 2013, 08:19:41 AM »

Anyway, on to a few bugs I've been seeing:
  • When rendering a wall texture, it seems the the engine isn't quite rending the whole texture.  It's shaving a few pixels off the pixel column on the far right side of the texture.  This isn't very noticeable with 16x16 walls, but you can see it with 32x32 and really notice it with 64x64.  Same with the floor tiles - if you stand facing north and look straight down, the right-most pixel column is smaller than all the other pixel columns.
  • It seems that flying mobs have a bug in their collision detection and can often fly into the ceiling and the floor.  Seems like they are clipped against solid walls but not clipped when flying in a high ceiling tile to a lower ceiling tile - they can pass right into the ceiling of that tile and fly around there.  Also it seems that the bat hitbox is to the right of center.  I haven't seen this on other monsters.
  • I think mobs can spawn and there is no check for existing mobs in that space.  I sometimes see mobs stuck together and I assumed they both went through a teleporter.  But then I will kill them and scour the level for a teleporter that lands on that square and I can't find one.  Also, sometimes I am just walking around and suddenly I can't move and I'm taking damage.  I start attacking wildly and eventually something dies and I can move again.  I think a mob just spawned into my space.
  • Sometimes the text over-lay stops working.  If I am near an object and looking directly at it, then the description won't show  Also if I try to pick it up but can't then I won't see the "No Room" message.  But other text like my health display and hovering on items in my inventory still works.
  • On the map, sometimes it marks the stairs in a square next to the square that the stairs are actually in.  Also the arrow isn't centered properly - it can sometimes show that you are in a wall when you're not.

You need to post some screenshots of your UW mod Smiley

RE: Bugs:

1) I think I'm shaving a bit off of the wall width due to a bit of the next texture trying to bleed in sometimes. Probably need to reduce that amount when using larger sized texture packs.

2) I've updated the collision system quite a bit in the version I'm working with now which will keep the bats out of the ceiling but still need to figure out what to do with flying AI, right now they always stay around the height they spawned at. I may make them fly up and down randomly while wandering staying a bit away from the floor and ceiling, and have them try to level in on the player's height when chasing.

3) Teleporters and spawning monsters are supposed to check if a tile is empty before moving, but apparently there's something broken with that check right now.

4) Text bug is fixed now, will be in the next version.

5) Lining up that little arrow has been hard, mostly due to trying to keep it centered as it rotates. I fudged and made it look close enough right now but there's still room for improvement.
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: January 25, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »

How easy is it to grab a weapon out of a ladder now?
ziznak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: January 27, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »

Whoa! I havent played since before the bow and arrows worked... I have to say I love em.  Good to see this project coming along fine.  I hope the move is fruitful and can't wait to see the newer releases.
MikeRatzlaff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: January 28, 2013, 03:33:17 AM »

You need to post some screenshots of your UW mod Smiley
For sure!  I'll have to get the package to you so you can play it yourself.

It's looking pretty good - I've got all the textures replaced, and added quite a few more.  I tinkered with the files inside generator.zip to get them all to show up.  Why do you have a ZIP inside the JAR?  Why not just have those files in a folder?  I made a generator folder in my assets folders but it doesn't pick files out of there.  I have to add them back into the zip every time.
I also completely replaced all the items with UW items graphics, and added the new weapons (axe, mace, etc)  I haven't balanced them properly, I just copied the sword definitions and changed their graphics.
I added a bunch of decorations. In fact the sprites file is full.  I've got 5 different plants, 2 mushrooms, 3 rocks, and a bunch of other stuff in there. The dungeons are well decorated Smiley

RE: Bugs:

1) I think I'm shaving a bit off of the wall width due to a bit of the next texture trying to bleed in sometimes. Probably need to reduce that amount when using larger sized texture packs.

I'll show you what I mean.

Here with 16x16 textures (stock):

See most pixel columns (like the one bracketed in green) are 25 pixels wide.  But the column bracketed in red is only 22 pixels wide.  That is the right-most column in the texture.

Here in 32x32 (using textures from Stone Soup):

Here most columns are 12 wide, but that one on the right edge of the texture is only 7.

Here in 64x64 (using Ultima Underworld textures):

Here most columns are 6 pixels wide.  Column #63 is only 2 pixels wide, and column #64 is missing completely.  See the blue bracket - if you count columns, there is only 62 complete, 1 tiny, and 1 missing (out of 64).

I'm guessing it's all just some kind of rounding error.  When scaling the textures it's calculating them slightly bigger than the wall.  Or something like that.

Anyway here's a few other bugs you may or may not be aware of:
  • Lights seem to go through walls - if a mage or a trap or whatever is on the other side of the wall and causes a light to appear then you can see that light even tho the source is blocked to you
  • An item dropped in water or lava will just keep splashing.  Also you cannot pick up items from water or lava.  Is this intentional?  I thought I saw a video of an older version where someone dropped something and then picked it up.
  • You can move an equipped item and put it in inventory and it stayed equipped.
  • If you pick up a weapon from the ground and put it in your equipped weapon slot, then the new weapon will be equipped.  But if you take a weapon from inventory and put it in your equipped slot, the change places but the old weapon is still equipped.
  • If you pick up an item off the ground, you can hold it on your mouse and walk far away.  When you finally put it on an item in your inventory, that item will go back to where you picked up the other item, even tho you are far away.
  • decorations hanging from the ceiling, if they are hanging from a sloped ceiling, seem to hang from height of the lowest point, even if they are not at the lowest side of the tile.
  • decorations should not be allowed to spawn in a square that has a ladder
kensupen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: January 30, 2013, 06:22:14 AM »

For some reason on my laptop, the blue crystals don't show up, but the blue light from them does. I'm using the 0.65 I purchased. I tried both the linux JAR and windows EXE. Running windows 7 Home Premium.

You said to include a GPU-Z screenshot.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:40:48 PM by kensupen » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic