Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:26:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 782481 times)
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: February 09, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »

When you go into your start menu to click on the game, it doesn't load it from its actual folder, and ends up not loading necessary files.
Karroc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: February 09, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »

I have a mac, if that changes anything?
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: February 09, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »

Everything. Can't help you, then.
Karroc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: February 09, 2013, 07:05:30 PM »

Sorry about that. Thanks a lot anyways!
MikeRatzlaff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: February 10, 2013, 03:47:50 PM »

MikeRatzlaff

Can you post your texture packs on the Delver wiki? I've been trying to make one, but not very good at it.

I can.  Nothing is finished though, it's all just experimental right now - just throwing in different textures to see how they look.

I'll write up a quick-start tutorial on the wiki, it's really not too hard once you get the hang of it.
MikeRatzlaff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: February 10, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »

I suggested footsteps but envisioned them more as subtle disturbances on the floor.  Can decals be something like a 50% transparent dark color?

I've discovered that the current engine (0.65) doesn't tolerate translucency in the 3d world (translucencies are rendered as transparent), but does allow it in the 2d interface.

This is a bummer, I couldn't add the ghosts and smoke/steam/mist effects I wanted to put in my mods.

However, it does give a new feature - any pixels that are translucent become invisible in the 3d world and appear only in inventory, so you can use this to make items look different in inventory than they do on the ground.  To demonstrate this I created a new item called the Cursed Helmet.  It looks normal when it on the ground but when you go to pick it up - GAH!  THERE IS A SEVERED HEAD IN IT!
MikeRatzlaff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: February 10, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »

wow I just wanted to say that this game has really inspired me.  I found it looking for a cool game for my new Android phone, then found the wiki and saw people modding it.  I thought I'd try so I started by replacing textures, then I started digging into the dat files.  To understand those I decompiled the class files and read the java files.  I din't know ANY java about 3 weeks ago, but I learned it in a hurry trying to understand the code.

I wanted to rip graphics and stuff from UW1 to do a mod but couldn't find any apps for that.  I found a file format spec sheet and started writing a ripper of my own, in Java.  Now I've ripped all the screens, graphics, items, critters, sounds, fonts, and levels (created a crude UW->Delver level converter) out using a Java app, and I didn't even know any Java until about 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, just wanted to say, thanks for making this fun game, and thanks for the inspiration.  Keep writing it and I'll keep modding it Smiley
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: February 11, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »

Boom that's the power of the wiki for you.  Glad that I know that someone looks at the wiki, and my work and other peles work pay off.
wow I just wanted to say that this game has really inspired me.  I found it looking for a cool game for my new Android phone, then found the wiki and saw people modding it.  I thought I'd try so I started by replacing textures, then I started digging into the dat files.  To understand those I decompiled the class files and read the java files.  I din't know ANY java about 3 weeks ago, but I learned it in a hurry trying to understand the code.

I wanted to rip graphics and stuff from UW1 to do a mod but couldn't find any apps for that.  I found a file format spec sheet and started writing a ripper of my own, in Java.  Now I've ripped all the screens, graphics, items, critters, sounds, fonts, and levels (created a crude UW->Delver level converter) out using a Java app, and I didn't even know any Java until about 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, just wanted to say, thanks for making this fun game, and thanks for the inspiration.  Keep writing it and I'll keep modding it Smiley

Delver is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                 Smiley
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2128 on: February 11, 2013, 03:12:40 PM »

I've discovered that the current engine (0.65) doesn't tolerate translucency in the 3d world (translucencies are rendered as transparent), but does allow it in the 2d interface.

Yeah, I'm currently using alpha clipping or discard to have transparency be on or off in the world hoping to make the renderer a bit faster, although from recent reading it'd probably be just as fast to just turn alpha blending on. I'll give that a try and see if it makes any difference.
wy477wh173
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2129 on: February 12, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »

Boom that's the power of the wiki for you.  Glad that I know that someone looks at the wiki, and my work and other peles work pay off.

Now I need to start brushing up on my Java. Geez, I've kinda abandoned it. . . Sorry java.  . . I'll always love you more than Ruby or GML.
MikeRatzlaff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: February 12, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »

Yeah, I'm currently using alpha clipping or discard to have transparency be on or off in the world hoping to make the renderer a bit faster, although from recent reading it'd probably be just as fast to just turn alpha blending on. I'll give that a try and see if it makes any difference.

I noticed that, in one of the files in the shaders folder, there was a line something like "If pixel.alpha<0.9 then pixel.discard" or something like that.  I figured that's where I need to mod to "fix" the translucencies, but my knowledge of shader code was insufficient to make any headway.
MikeRatzlaff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: February 12, 2013, 01:25:45 PM »

On the bat hit-box bug I mentioned before:
it's not just the bats, but certain monsters it happens on ocassionally.  It doesn't always happen but when it does, it's always the same monster defs.  It's like the xoffset gets set to about 0.5 because the actual monster is about half a block away from their graphic - if you attack the graphic you miss but if you attack the space to the right of it you'll hit, and blood will come from the space, and the item drop will drop in that space.  I can't find a way to reproduce this bug reliably but the fact that it always happens on the same monster def makes me think maybe you're changing an xoffset on an object and using a hard coded index and that index is wrong.  But that's just my guess.

And I found a cheat:  If you pick up the orb but never put it in an inventory slot, the undead will never start to spawn.  Just click on the orb (use inventory mode or "Z" mode to get a cursor) and hold the mouse button down but never release it.  You can still turn inventory on and off with "C" or "I".  You'll walk slow because you're charging your weapon, so to fix that just unequip your weapon (put it in a hotkey slot and use that hotkey).  You can go up and down stairs while holding the mouse button and the orb will still be on your cursor when you get to the next level.  And you can still use spacebar to attack.  The only time you have to actually put it in inventory is before you leave the first level.

And a request for mobile: Can you make it so that when you tap an item in the world it will pick it up and put it in inventory?  Right now if you tap an item he picks it up and then throws it away.
MikeRatzlaff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: February 12, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »

oh and I guess I might as well post this here too for the rest of you:

The current progress on my UW1 mod:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80735913/DelverMod-MWR-UW1-20130212.Zip

That has the textures, items, decorations, music, and UI skins.  Doesn't have the new monsters, dungeons, or sounds yet.

To install on a PC just blow it up in the same folder as your delver.exe.  For other OSes I have no idea, probably the same (blow it up in the same folder as the main delver jar) but I can't say for sure.

And someone feel free to post it on the wiki.  I haven't made an account there yet.
kensupen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: February 12, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »

oh and I guess I might as well post this here too for the rest of you:

The current progress on my UW1 mod:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80735913/DelverMod-MWR-UW1-20130212.Zip

That has the textures, items, decorations, music, and UI skins.  Doesn't have the new monsters, dungeons, or sounds yet.

To install on a PC just blow it up in the same folder as your delver.exe.  For other OSes I have no idea, probably the same (blow it up in the same folder as the main delver jar) but I can't say for sure.

And someone feel free to post it on the wiki.  I haven't made an account there yet.

Thanks MikeRatzlaff.

I noticed one issue with the graphics. The wands go into the floor.

I also had a question. Are money piles like skulls and bones, just random loot?
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: February 14, 2013, 12:42:47 AM »

Well, Int's being a quiet observer:
https://twitter.com/cuddigan/status/301948314943909888

Exolon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: February 14, 2013, 04:46:05 AM »

Is there a way to put the Underworld textures on my (not rooted) Android device?

Thanks

Exo

“Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.” ― Aristotle
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2136 on: February 14, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »

It's pretty awesome, I love the details like different debris spawning on wooden floors. When I renovate the website I need to make a whole section related to modding (and link to the wiki) so more people know that stuff like this is possible.

Is there a way to put the Underworld textures on my (not rooted) Android device?

Thanks

Exo

You should be able to, it's looking for assets in the Delver folder that gets created on the root of the SD card to house the savegames. After you run the game once you can use a file manager app to move the assets folder into that.
Exolon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: February 15, 2013, 12:46:02 AM »

Thanks.

I tried Underworld textures on my two phones.

On my Galaxy Note (Gingerbread) it looks fine. On my Galaxy Tab 2 (Jelly Bean) I can only see objects (e.g. torches, breads) but the rest is covered in darkness. No wall textures at all.

Any Idea?

Thanks

Exo

“Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.” ― Aristotle
MikeRatzlaff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: February 15, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »

Thanks MikeRatzlaff.

I noticed one issue with the graphics. The wands go into the floor.

I also had a question. Are money piles like skulls and bones, just random loot?
Yeah, the wands are weird - UW draws them at a 30 degree angle, but Delver assumes they are drawn at 45 degrees, so it rotates them into the ground.  I could either redraw them (but I wanted to stick with authentic UW graphics as much as possible), or I could shift them up a bit (so they'd be floating), or I could try to talk Chad into giving me control over the object rotation (which would require a code change).

There are a lot of items in there that are "teaser" items - items that were useful in UW but just junk in Delver because they have no purpose - coins can't be spent; lanterns, torches, and candles can't be lit; boots and gloves can't be worn; books, bedrolls, runebags, anvils, etc can't be used...  All just teaser items and decorations.

It's pretty awesome, I love the details like different debris spawning on wooden floors. When I renovate the website I need to make a whole section related to modding (and link to the wiki) so more people know that stuff like this is possible.
Thanks!  Yeah that's why I was saying that I was really digging through the dat files and the code trying to figure out all that was possible.  I've learned a lot about Java and JSON along the way.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: February 15, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »

I actually managed to figure out how to make more armors, like the helmets, and shields, and... I forget what the third one that's unused was..

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic