Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:26:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 779692 times)
TheNite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: December 14, 2013, 06:15:40 AM »

I worked on the castle wall some more to show what I imagine it could look like, the first two images look weird with the giant brick wall where the tile ends, sorry for that. I got a suggestion on the Steam forums that the Mine and Prison could just be special tiles found on the Cave and Dungeon floors. I'll most likely do that because I don't think they have enough variety for entire floors. (maybe mini dungeon floors after two main dungeon floors? or a static floor with a mini boss? or a a mini dungeon in the camp? so many ideas Waaagh!)

Also, re-installing Delver did not fix the trees. :p

Image 1, Image 2, Image 3.
david.vlach2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: December 14, 2013, 07:03:29 AM »

These tiles are wonderful!

And I would actually like to have a tile with Moria-like bridge over deep rift. Well, hello there! C'mon, everyone likes deep rifts and narrow bridges!
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3142 on: December 14, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »

._______. moria. please. do it now.   Hand Money Left Waaagh! Hand Money Right

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
TheNite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: December 14, 2013, 12:35:53 PM »

I haven't seen/read Lord of the Rings yet... (i'm sorry please don't hurt me)
...so can I have an image that shows how I should try and make Moria? From what I've seen it is giant hallways with pillars, or narrow bridges connecting different parts of a giant cave. Do the narrow bridges lead to the hallways? :p
Echelon5
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: December 14, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »

...so can I have an image that shows how I should try and make Moria? From what I've seen it is giant hallways with pillars, or narrow bridges connecting different parts of a giant cave. Do the narrow bridges lead to the hallways? :p

Yeah, pretty much. Moria's architecture is pretty distinct, so recreating it would be tricky. BUT if you were to try and match the vastness of the place it'd work. But yeah, you're right, it's lots of enormous hallways held up by pillars that lead into caverns and mining tunnel networks. Do a google image search and I'm sure you'll find tons of photos from the movie along with conceptual pics.
nokturnal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: December 14, 2013, 01:55:25 PM »

these screens so clearly show off the lighting problem. its like youre looking at a monitor with the brightness turned almost all the way down..

as a comparison here is the third screenshot, taken into photoshop, and having the auto contrast effect applied.

http://i.imgur.com/H2fEq4K.jpg

im not saying this is exactly how the game should look, im just saying.. something is weird with the contrast/light..

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3146 on: December 14, 2013, 02:29:44 PM »

When making level pieces for Delver, you shouldn't rely on ambient light alone. You should place torches or light tiles to properly light your level.

TheNite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »

Those were only example images of what the floor might look like, so they didn't have anything besides what you see really. Things most tiles need (monsters, loot, proper lighting, sprites, models, etc.) were not added because I only wanted to make a couple of quick examples to show off, and the ones that are liked get refined.

Here is that same area, but with some proper-ish lighting (that will be adjusted some more, looks a bit too yellow).

Anyway, nokturnal, I don't know if it is a good idea to point out problems for Delver on a fan-made mod with an unfinished example tile. Tongue

(Also, I was playing Delver on the lowest screen brightness. I'm not sure if that will change how the picture looks or not though.)
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3148 on: December 14, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »

Hmm. Maybe try making the light a complementary color?

It's really cool seeing what you are making with Delver. Thanks for sharing it!  Smiley

nokturnal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: December 14, 2013, 03:36:56 PM »

When making level pieces for Delver, you shouldn't rely on ambient light alone. You should place torches or light tiles to properly light your level.

the problem i was reffering to isnt a particual issue with specificly those screens, its the same throughout the game and was shortly discussed earlier in the thread..
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3150 on: December 14, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »

The brighter it is, the less of an "Ultima Underworld" feeling I get...

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3151 on: December 14, 2013, 09:46:21 PM »

here Tongue

http://www.tentonhammer.com/image/view/45333/preview

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
david.vlach2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: December 15, 2013, 02:57:14 AM »

And where is the gloomy, depresive feeling of the dungeon, where are the scary monsters hiding in the shadows when you increase the brightness of the game?

No more illumination!!!
nokturnal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: December 15, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »

And where is the gloomy, depresive feeling of the dungeon, where are the scary monsters hiding in the shadows when you increase the brightness of the game?

No more illumination!!!

sigh..
i wasnt aguing to making the game any brighter, im referring to how the game handles contrast in dark scenes..
MrDaaark
Level 0

Hi

View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: December 15, 2013, 06:48:12 PM »

No more illumination!!!

sigh..
i wasnt aguing to making the game any brighter, im referring to how the game handles contrast in dark scenes..

Welcome to programming forums. Every time you try and bring up proper color use, lighting, composition, color teory, etc, you'll get similarly ignorant and hostile responses.

david.vlach2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: December 16, 2013, 03:50:53 AM »

No more illumination!!!

sigh..

Welcome to programming forums. Every time you try and bring up proper color use, lighting, composition, color teory, etc, you'll get similarly ignorant and hostile responses.

Grin
Skizomeuh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3156 on: December 16, 2013, 05:30:57 AM »

I understand the current lighting system as an emulation of the classical roguelike's "fog of war". I'd love some kind of gamma slider to balance the image depending of the monitor and/or personal taste, but I vote to keep this lighting system as is because it's involved in the gameplay mechanisms in some ways.
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3157 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:28 AM »

No more illumination!!!

sigh..

Grin

good to be here, thanks. i promised myself i would never get myself involved in this kind of stuff, but an option to turn up or down brightness could solve a lot of these issues... just an IDEA Tongue

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Echelon5
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: December 19, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »

Crossing my fingers for shields and/or offhand items in the next update. *wink wink*

Also armchair game designer suggestion: Perhaps wands should be destroyed automatically when they run out of charges? It'd just be one of those user friendly features to smooth out the gameplay a bit. Unless you plan on implementing a way to recharge the wands in the future.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3159 on: December 19, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »

To expose even more stuff for modding and make less stuff hard coded, in the next version I'll be exposing the tile data in a new tiles.dat file to set info like the color the tile shows on the map, if the tile gives off any light, if it acts like water and eventually other stuff like maybe what sound the tile emits.

Here's an example of a water and a lava tile:

Code:
tiles: {
   "3": { class:com.interrupt.dungeoneer.tiles.TileData, isWater: true, mapColor: { r: 0, g: 0.5, b: 1.0 }, flowTex: 4 },
   "5": { class:com.interrupt.dungeoneer.tiles.TileData, isWater: true, hurt: 1.0, lightColor: { r: 0.6941, g: 0.1686, b: 0.1372 }, mapColor: { r: 1.0, g: 0.0, b: 0.0 }, flowTex: 6 }
}

This tells the game that any tile with the floor texture 3 acts as water with the scrolling side texture of 4 to do the waterfall effect, and it shows up as blue on the map. Lava at floor texture 5 is similar, but also emits a glowing red light and uses 'hurt: 1.0' to damage the player one point of damage every half second.

This should be useful for anyone wanting to make a doom mod, where damaging green slime would be important Smiley

these screens so clearly show off the lighting problem. its like youre looking at a monitor with the brightness turned almost all the way down..

as a comparison here is the third screenshot, taken into photoshop, and having the auto contrast effect applied.

http://i.imgur.com/H2fEq4K.jpg

im not saying this is exactly how the game should look, im just saying.. something is weird with the contrast/light..

What you're seeing is the black fog that's in place that fades out the lighting over distance, mainly for atmospheric reasons and to be evocative of the older games we're riffing from. This could be modded out by making changes to the dungeons.dat file if someone wanted to see what it looks like without it. The fog starting distance, ending distance, and color are things that can be monkeyed with in there.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic