Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:22:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAn open source distribution platform
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: An open source distribution platform  (Read 8104 times)
nico
Level 0

is swigging some strong dwarven ale

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »

Hi everybody.

I've been working on a new experimental project that I'm happy to finally announce: an open source distribution platform / installer / thingie for downloadable games.

My aim for it is to create something like an open source Steam, but it's still far from that goal, so it's possible the end result will be something quite different. This is going to be an entirely open system, and that opens for a lot of cool and unique possibilities. Just the fact that there's no need to worry about competition, maintaining profits or keeping secrets, will affect a lot of design decisions.

The current prototype is still very early alpha and only supports freeware games, but it's a start, and it works. I've called it Tiggit, here's a screenshot (click for larger version):

Current features:
- freeware games only (no shop, though I'm adding demos soon)
- very simple wxWidgets-based front-end
- download, install and run games with a single click
- has some 200+ games currently, you can add games on the site

Test the prototype (Windows installer)
Source code at github
Homepage

The idea going forward is to stay with freeware and demos for a while longer to perfect the technology. But I hope we can add a shop of some kind to it in the not too distant future. I'm picturing this less as a centralized / monolithic shop though, and more as an open system for self promotion that connects people's individual shops into one system, but this is all just on the early planning stage.

I'd love to hear people's feedback on this. Obviously there's a lot more to do before this can be considered even remotely done, so all ideas and suggestions are highly welcome.

This .. is .. Tiggit!    ( games | download | forum | blog )
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:21:41 AM »

Something like Steam but opensource and make it so easy to donate or subscribe to monthly payment for developers would be a dream come true! Unfortunately I'm on OSX right now so I can't try it yet. Will try it when I'm on Windows.

Attila0413
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:20:51 AM »

Sounds like a wonderful idea  Smiley

brettchalupa
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »

I like this idea a lot. It would be especially awesome if it was cross-platform.

I'm gonna follow the repo and if I have time or any ideas, I will definitely add to the codebase. I think you should definitely make a github wiki page with a roadmap and add TODOs in another page or in the issues section. That way if other people want to work on it, they know what to work on.

It would also be pretty cool if this was something that just existed for freeware games. This would make it easy to find them, install them, and play them. It would also remove the process of accounts, dealing with payments, and all of that. If that's not something you'd want to do, then that's totally fine as well.  Smiley

Anyways, great work! I look forward to what this project brings.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:31:34 AM »

has been tried many many times before (remember tigsbox?), failed each time. maybe this time it'll succeed, but my cynicism says probably not

nico
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:57:33 AM »

Thanks for the ideas and support guys! Some thoughts:

I like this idea a lot. It would be especially awesome if it was cross-platform.

It definitely will be Smiley. In fact I'm already doing my own development in Linux, I've just decided to focus on the Windows release in the alpha phase since it's easier to support one target than several (and most games are native to windows.) All the tech I use (wxWidgets, libCurl, CMake etc) is highly portable.

One lofty idea I'm toying with (for some post-1.0 release) is automatic Wine integration, to be able to run Windows-only games on other platforms with zero effort. Maybe coupled up with a system for users to rate Wine compatibility. I think that would be incredibly cool.

I think you should definitely make a github wiki page with a roadmap and add TODOs in another page or in the issues section. That way if other people want to work on it, they know what to work on.

That's a great idea, I'll definitely get around to doing that soon.

It would also be pretty cool if this was something that just existed for freeware games. This would make it easy to find them, install them, and play them. It would also remove the process of accounts, dealing with payments, and all of that.

I agree. Though I can't see the sense in excluding non-free games for that purpose, since I think people want to find and play both. Right now the service is exactly what you describe (account-free and with freeware frontline and center), and I think and hope we'll be able to keep that aspect of it even if we add a shop. Using and registering for the shop could be entirely optional.

nico
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:09:23 AM »

has been tried many many times before (remember tigsbox?), failed each time. maybe this time it'll succeed, but my cynicism says probably not

Actually I'd love to learn more about these attempts, who were behind them, why they failed, etc. Do you have more info or links? Google didn't turn up anything for tigsbox. And were they all open source?  I'd be especially interested in scavanging ideas, experiences and even source code from these projects.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:25:28 AM by nico » Logged

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 05:45:39 AM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4235.0
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8599.0

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 06:00:15 AM »

As much as I'd like to toy with this, it appears my anti-virus won't let me due to "infection risk."

nico
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 07:15:37 AM »

As much as I'd like to toy with this, it appears my anti-virus won't let me due to "infection risk."

Ouch! Concerned Well the only match I could find on google (this one) is about a false positive (I assume you're also using Webroot?), but that doesn't prove anything though. Anyone else with other virus software want to try scanning the file?

For what it's worth, my own AV software (Avast) asked me if I want to quarantine it on the first run, but then again it does that for a lot of software. After some research I assumed it's because tiggit installs itself into appdata\, and most AV software don't seem to like that. I should probably change that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:26:22 AM by nico » Logged

nico
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:24:44 AM »

Thanks! Ah yes, I can understand why this thread is like deja vu all over again for some people Wink

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 07:44:35 AM »

yeah those two are two main ones. another one is this: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9138.msg284766#msg284766 -- it was similar although its emphasis was on community and the ability for developers to sell games through it. but it was also going to have a client similar to steam's, etc. etc. -- from what i remember he basically finished the site and got all the programming and infrastructure done, but *nobody used it*, so he abandoned it

you do have to realize that the biggest hurdle towards this thing is *not* creating it, it's marketing it, and getting people to use it. merely creating it is easy, it's having it be successful and popular and have people actually installing it and using it that's the real challenge. steam got popular because it had an extremely popular game (half life) to popularize the service, and because it was first, and because it had millions of marketing dollars behind it. without those advantage projects like this struggle to get even a few dozen users, word of mouth isn't really enough

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 09:09:25 AM »

I for one shall be excitedly watching this one progress, One more venue to distribute games is always good Smiley

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
cce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 04:30:36 AM »

Gave it a try, and it seems to be working fine. The user interface is pretty clear, and the games downloaded at reasonable speeds. If you are going to add some commenting or a similar features, you should consider Twitter/Facebook/Google verification instead of requiring them to create a new account. Everyone hates that.

And kudos for the open source release, it gives this some credibility. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 09:13:52 AM »

Hey, pretty sweet! Downloaded it just now and downloaded a couple of games.

Question - what's the process for getting games on to this? How do you guard against malware, and how do you decide what goes on? Is it just a decision you make yourself, or will some community decide, etc?

Nostrils!
nico
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Gave it a try, and it seems to be working fine. The user interface is pretty clear, and the games downloaded at reasonable speeds. If you are going to add some commenting or a similar features, you should consider Twitter/Facebook/Google verification instead of requiring them to create a new account. Everyone hates that.

I agree. Fact is the current user accounts weren't usable for anything really, so I've removed the signup link now so as to not confuse people.

I absolutely hope to add a comment/review feature at some point in the near future. I'm not sure yet how to pare Twitter/Facebook/Google with a C++-based client (maybe just outsource commenting to the browser?), but we'll figure something out.

nico
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »

Hey, pretty sweet! Downloaded it just now and downloaded a couple of games.

Question - what's the process for getting games on to this? How do you guard against malware, and how do you decide what goes on? Is it just a decision you make yourself, or will some community decide, etc?
Thanks!

Right now it's just a decision I make, and I add all the games manually. I'm definitely interested in opening the process up more though, that's something I'll be working on soon. A community-based moderation system is an awesome idea!

So far I've accepted pretty much anything that's a playable game (if it looks legit of course.) I don't really want to be the judge of what's good or not. My thinking is that it's better to manage the volume as it grows (by improving sorting, categorization, rating and maybe user moderation etc), rather than just restricting it.

William
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »

Just discovered Tiggit via Petri Purho's twitter account today, and it's just amazing.
Being able to easily install free indie games or even demo, have a link to the creator's webpage, etc... That's exactly what I was waiting for Smiley

Hope you'll be able to add Blocks That Matter demo (my game, just sent you a mail). And now I'll try to beat the first level of "The Goonies".
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about Tiggit, too! As long as shameless plugs are happening, Is there any formal process for submitting content? I'd love to put the Defender's Quest demo up there. Tongue

Another thought:
Have you considered partnering with one of the more "open" portals like IndieVania?

Nostrils!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »

This should be the job of a website.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic