Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:36:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146225 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »

Looking good. Are the skeletons going to explode in a shower of blood, too? That would amuse me. Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

Looking good. Are the skeletons going to explode in a shower of blood, too? That would amuse me. Smiley

Everything explodes in a shower of blood right now, even skeletons! I'll probably tailor individual enemies to have different deaths but right now there's just lots of blood Tongue

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2012, 04:59:23 AM »

This game looks awsome!   Can it be played in singleplayer mode?

Delver is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                 Smiley
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2012, 05:51:51 AM »

This game looks awsome!   Can it be played in singleplayer mode?

It sure can! The game will have both singleplayer and multiplayer.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2012, 07:23:40 AM »

Defenders of the Crown?

Could be! I took the image from here: http://noirlac.tumblr.com/, where the author takes lots of awesome pictures from games. He doesn't write where they come from.

I'm quite sure it's the intro to Cadaver by the Bitmap Brothers (either that or Powermonger by Bullfrog).

EDIT: It was Powermonger...

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2012, 07:30:50 AM »

So it is! Good to know. Watching that YouTube video makes me want to go and play a bunch of old games.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2012, 08:21:54 AM »

Day 203
* Implemented new User Interface from mockups, besides changing weapons and shop

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »

Day 204
* Implemented changing weapons in UI. UI is now usable!
* Added in quest failure popup when all your heroes die.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2012, 06:02:20 AM »

Day 207
Added the Blink skill which allows heroes to teleport a short distance (2 tiles). It’s useful for getting past traps or behind a pack of enemies.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2012, 06:35:41 AM »

Day 209
* Fixed bug where keypresses were registered when the window didn't have focus
* Fixed game-breaking bug where two enemies could get stuck on top of each other forever if they passed over a chair (i.e. made it so enemies can't walk through chairs)
* Added proper weapon and equipment changing to the Lobby UI. Very happy with this. Each hero has a unique set of equipment that must be unlocked during gameplay.
* Worked out a lot of design issues to do with the purpose of XP, gold, leveling and even crafting new items.

Below: Selecting the weapon slot and changing from a sword to a bow. Still bad placeholder art.

Also, looking for a pixel artist:
Are you a pixel artist or painter interested in working with us? E-mail me with a link to your portfolio or attach a few pictures of your work. Professionalism and ability to work on a schedule and deliver work on time is a must.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2012, 06:07:18 AM »

Day 212
* Added healthbars to player portraits
* Added subdivisions for every 10 HP in the current player health bar
* Added numerical counter for health bar
* Made UI hide when it is the enemy turn
* Added Action point numerical counter

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »

Forgot to post this last night:

Day 213
* Added ability to walk around after you win.
* Changed damage types and removed some stats (agility/strength). Attack damage now based on raw weapon strength.
* Made melee attacks do the same damage for ranged characters.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2012, 07:00:54 AM »

Day 215
* Added new map selection system from a list
* Added level progression (when you beat one level it unlocks one or more other levels)
* Built new introduction level (level 1)
* Added gold persistence. The amount of gold you have is now saved.

Still lots of placeholder art:

Launched a new website yesterday, but I really want to do a new gameplay video. The current one is very old: http://www.dungeondashers.com

Also, today is my birthday!  Beer!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:23:59 AM by JigxorAndy » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2012, 07:11:55 AM »

Hey, just 2 questions:
-will it feature reconnecting? I have kinda unstable connection
-does it have online multi-player already?

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2012, 07:22:49 AM »

Hey, just 2 questions:
-will it feature reconnecting? I have kinda unstable connection
-does it have online multi-player already?

I'd love to do reconnecting, but it's quite a design challenge as you can imagine. It means recording the state of every object on screen when someone disconnects and then resending it when they reconnect. If people can only join at the start, then everyone can just load from a local map file, and send changes when something moves. I'll keep drop-in/drop-out as a wanted feature, but if it does make it to the final game it probably won't be in early versions.

The game has code for online multiplayer, but I've removed it for now while I concentrate on making the singleplayer really solid first. I want to make sure that the game works well before I translate all of that code to the multiplayer. So the basic backend of sending movements, attacks, damage, etc. all works but I'm still at the stage where certain major features may be added or tweaked extensively and maintaining both a singleplayer and multiplayer variant of that makes production much slower.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2012, 07:29:21 AM »

Okay, I just wondered if it's already good time to encourage my friends to buy the 4 pack :D

Hmm, about the reconnecting, if the game is turn-based I imagine it's easier to do this, but yet I'm not an experienced programmer so...

Anyway, I'll keep watching the project, keep up the good job! Smiley  Hand Thumbs Up Right

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2012, 07:36:25 AM »

Okay, I just wondered if it's already good time to encourage my friends to buy the 4 pack :D

Hmm, about the reconnecting, if the game is turn-based I imagine it's easier to do this, but yet I'm not an experienced programmer so...

Anyway, I'll keep watching the project, keep up the good job! Smiley  Hand Thumbs Up Right

I was surprised when I started doing the turn-based multiplayer code. I actually find it's much much more difficult than realtime games I've done in the past. When everything is state-based then you have a butterfly effect where any small desync will cause the game to completely break. If you imagine someone playing snail-mail chess, if you happened to tell them to move a piece to the wrong square, then the games are completely out of sync and you can't fix it if you don't realise that you made a mistake.

Action multiplayer games, like FPS games, allow you to simply send the "real" coordinates of an object when games go out of sync. This is mainly because there are less objects in realtime action games so you are able to do this with all of the available bandwidth. Games with lots of objects and certain "states" are a bit different.

Here's a good article on the topic if you're interested: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3094/1500_archers_on_a_288_network_.php/

Thank you for the kind words Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2012, 07:38:56 AM »

Wow when did you get on Steam?

I have a previous game on Steam, but I plan to put Dungeon Dashers on Steam Greenlight. I don't see why it wouldn't get on there, and I will continue to work on it until it is up, but if it never does and people are upset I will give anyone who asks a refund, no problem.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »

@turn-based multi: yeah, I was doing a turn-based online strategy once (and plan to make it someday in the future) and I remember how sometimes units were flying out of the screen because of a lost packet, crazy stuff

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »

Oh cool, I didn't know that. What is the previous game?

I developed Faerie Solitaire with one other guy. It's a casual game, don't hate me Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic