Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998825 Posts in 39180 Topics- by 30592 Members - Latest Member: JuegoStudio

April 21, 2014, 04:10:02 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 66294 times)
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: October 07, 2012, 07:35:30 AM »

You might think about implementing a diary.

Like, the main menu would have
-> Mission
-> Shop
-> Diary

etc.

You would deliver storilines, objectives and the likes before, during and after levels.

Example: The player starts the Lich King's forgotten Tomb mission
Dialogue:
NPC - Quick, you need to break into the Lich King's Tomb and retrive the epic muffin!
Knight - On our way!
Rogue - I love muffins!

During the level you read a sign, talk to an PC, retrieve objects, and more storilines unfold

Final Battle:
Lich King - The epic muffin is mine!
Rogue - I want it so badly, die!

After winning mission: more storylines

If you access the Diary after completing the quest, you would show a brief summoary of the story

- The Lich King's forgotten Tomb
"An NPC meets the Heroes to beg them to retrive the epic muffin. The Elf approved. After long battles and [bla bla bla] the Heroes successfully retrieved the muffin. The NPC never heard of the Heroes back, so he immediately suspected the Elf wasn't able to resist such epic deliciousness."

Or something like that.

Also, the Diary might be a good place to collect other game progression related things, like
-> Achievements
-> Rare items found
-> Statistics (time played, number of deaths, etc.)

JigxorAndy
Level 5

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: October 07, 2012, 07:44:44 AM »

You might think about implementing a diary.

Also, the Diary might be a good place to collect other game progression related things, like
-> Achievements
-> Rare items found
-> Statistics (time played, number of deaths, etc.)

That's the kind of solution I had in mind too. Though there's still the non-linear aspect of it. Perhaps if it had "pages" that were unlocked as you completed the associated quests/levels, then that would work best. For example, level 1 = page 1, level 2 = page 2. Then if you beat level 2 before level 1, it just has page 1 as being blank/locked. having the stats/achievements/etc. too all fits in there.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: October 07, 2012, 11:53:19 AM »

Even if you try to keep it as simple as possible, a linear diary structure might still work pretty well, as you're suspecting.

You can assign pages to missions in a way for the diary to follow a nice order. And yes, uncompleted mission = locked pages.

Example:

- mission A
  |- mission B
  |  |- mission E (completing B required)
  |- mission C
  |- mission D
     |- mission F (completing both C and D required)
        |- mission G (completing both E and F required)

You would assign pages to mission like this
p1 - Mission A
p2 - Mission B
p3 - Mission E
p4 - Mission C
p5 - Mission D
p6 - Mission F
p7 - Mission G

headaches  Facepalm

JigxorAndy
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: October 08, 2012, 05:39:32 AM »

Day 282
* Added map title (with new typeface) and fade effect on start of each level
* Fixed bug with spawned monster directions + Lich King direction (couldn't critical hit them sometimes)
* Added new portraits for Dragon, Armoured Skeleton, and Fire Elemental
* Began code for giving player a recipe when they beat a quest
* Playersave.dat file now partially generated if it doesn't exist

Today I added in the display of the name of the level when you start. It fades in from black with the title and then fades out. This took a while as I had to draw a new typeface of the bitmap font at a higher resolution (I wanted smoother edges than just simply doubling it - still needs some touchups).

I also started putting in code to allow the game to start without any save file, as currently it loads most of the settings from the one I've been providing with builds. This is working towards the game in an initial state, and paving the way for me to add more unlocks.

So from my list for this week I was working on "2. Unlock recipes from beating quests". I'll finish that off tomorrow and then look into balancing some of the starting items, as well as adding in another level to teach the player their starting skills better.

You can assign pages to missions in a way for the diary to follow a nice order. And yes, uncompleted mission = locked pages.

Yep! Something like that sounds right.

JigxorAndy
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: October 09, 2012, 06:50:43 AM »

Day 283
* Worked out the overarching storyline for Dungeon Dashers
* Wrote a first draft for the dialogue in the first "cutscene"
* Developed a cutscene system

I spent most of the day trying to write a storyline for Dungeon Dashers. I wouldn't say that I have strong fictional writing skills, but it's something that has to be done! I was reading up on lots of different storyline structures and fantasy settings and I think I've come up with something that should work quite well. I spent the developing a cutscene system which displays text from the story, and will be displayed between levels.

My art budget probably won't allow for large pixel art pieces to go with the story at this stage, even though that would be really awesome. If sales pickup I'd like to include some.

I'm going to create a new introduction level tomorrow based on this storyline which should teach the player how to play the game (through gameplay) and will make everything flow better.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: October 10, 2012, 02:10:14 AM »

As with everything else, take this with a pingh of salt, since I've been experiencing so little of the actual game.

I think it would be nice if you conceived the very first 3 to 5 missions to teach the player about basics as the beginning of the story unfolds.

I don't exactly know what kind of pacing you have in mind, or how you're planning the story/player power progression to scale up.

Nonetheless, you might want to design a few "tutorial" missions for people absolutely new to the genre.

1st mission: basic of skills and combat (presenting only one or 2 basic skills per char + basic attack , AP system, the free move system).
2nd mission: teleport glyphs and traps, also pointing out to the players they can end up their turn whenever they want.
3rd mission: basics of items  + more skills (the equipment select menu is unlocked, allowing players to change equip and skills).

or something like that

Interweaving the tutorials within the story would be absolutely nice in my opinion. People don't really like having to play "dumb" tutorials as much as they like jumping into the actual game asap

JigxorAndy
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: October 10, 2012, 05:33:27 AM »

As with everything else, take this with a pingh of salt, since I've been experiencing so little of the actual game.

I think it would be nice if you conceived the very first 3 to 5 missions to teach the player about basics as the beginning of the story unfolds.

I don't exactly know what kind of pacing you have in mind, or how you're planning the story/player power progression to scale up.

Nonetheless, you might want to design a few "tutorial" missions for people absolutely new to the genre.

1st mission: basic of skills and combat (presenting only one or 2 basic skills per char + basic attack , AP system, the free move system).
2nd mission: teleport glyphs and traps, also pointing out to the players they can end up their turn whenever they want.
3rd mission: basics of items  + more skills (the equipment select menu is unlocked, allowing players to change equip and skills).

or something like that

Interweaving the tutorials within the story would be absolutely nice in my opinion. People don't really like having to play "dumb" tutorials as much as they like jumping into the actual game asap

Yep, that sort of teaching through gameplay is what I have planned for the first couple of levels. But I don't want it to be too slow either. I don't think it takes very long to understand the basics of the game once you know a few things.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: October 10, 2012, 05:46:49 AM »

Yep, that sort of teaching through gameplay is what I have planned for the first couple of levels. But I don't want it to be too slow either. I don't think it takes very long to understand the basics of the game once you know a few things.

Yeah, I agree with you. But I think we as developers easily tend to be affected by tunnel-vision when talking how easily the basics of a game can be understood.

You don't really need to make the "teaching" levels too slow, but try not to introduce too many new elements at once, as a new player feels much more confidence when he only needs to grasp a couple things at a time.

That would be my suggestion put in different words Wink

JigxorAndy
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: October 10, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »

Yeah, I agree with you. But I think we as developers easily tend to be affected by tunnel-vision when talking how easily the basics of a game can be understood.

You don't really need to make the "teaching" levels too slow, but try not to introduce too many new elements at once, as a new player feels much more confidence when he only needs to grasp a couple things at a time.

That would be my suggestion put in different words Wink

I'll create a new "first" level for the next build and see how it goes with everyone. I think I'm pretty good at putting myself in "someone else's shoes" when it comes to this part of design, so I'll give it a decent go.

I'm struggling with working out what the Wizard's permanent spell should be (the one he's always given), and so that's something I need to work out before I build a tutorial/level around it. It needs to be something that isn't overpowered and has a short to no cooldown (since it will be his only spell to begin with). But I also want to resist it being simple damage, since that's what the elf already has with her arrow.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: October 10, 2012, 06:22:02 AM »

The thing is, if you want to see how well the tutorial level(s) work, you need to take someone who never saw/played the game before, put her in front of it, and see if how things go. But yeah, you will need to iterate more as you develop the game, so no need to over-stress this now.

As for the natural skills, I'm assuming Blink (mobility) for Rogue, Cleave (melee AoE) for Knight and Bow (ranged attack) for Elf.

So, I think something like these might fare well for the Wiz.

Ice spell (can't remember the name sry): the one which freezes the target for 1 turn. Just make it do less dmg than Elf Bow attack. Also, the Cooldown would need to be at least 1 turn, meaning "You cannot fire the spell during the turn following the last time you cust it". This would be to prevent players freezing the same enemy over and over.

But anyway, you might consider other options too. I'm envisioning every Wiz skills having at least 1 turn cooldown, which means the Wiz wont have any spammable skills (like the Elf bow attack, for instance), nor he's supposed to engage in melee, unless he casted some sort of defensive spell.

So in my opinion, a good alternative might be a ranged AoE damage spell, since it's probably what most players would be likely to pick as a Wiz skill anyways.

Something like a Fireball with an AoE pattern like

Meaning, the tile in the middle gets full damage, the remaining 8 tiles get half of that.

This would have the potential to hit 9 enemies, which is unlikely, but might still be effective vs tightly packed groups of foes. Monsters with low max HP, or enemies previously weakened by other attacks, might die in just one shot, which really is the main strong point with Magic Users in most tactical games.

You might think about some other kind of skill, but all I can't really think about skills which are not either more complicated or not overpowered as a starter skill right now.

JigxorAndy
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2012, 07:43:35 AM »

Day 284
* Designed ways to make each enemy unique and what's different about each of them (need to implement a fair bit)
* Added more enemy portraits from Chris
* Designed a couple of new spells/skills
* Worked out the main storyline for the game

I mostly did design stuff today including story writing and the grouping of levels and their elements. Will work out the wizard's skill and then press on with building early levels. Been designing stuff the past couple of days, would be good to do more implementation.

Very sleepy!

JigxorAndy
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: October 11, 2012, 07:01:10 AM »

Day 285
* Added Music Engine - multiple tracks which fade in and out
* Cleave skill bugfix - sometimes wouldn't grant crits
* Gave wizard the fireball as a permanent skill
* Added new level win sound instead of the fanfare - which I didn't think suited the mood on all levels. It's too happy.
* Added Charge skill for Knight - allows the Knight to move in a straight line until he hits an enemy, really fun to charge through multiple boxes. Intending to add Knockback to the enemy as well.
* Added new portraits for monsters by Chris.

Spent most of the day getting the Music Engine in. Now in future builds there won't be random tracks playing here and there - instead there will be a handful of tracks that fade in and out of one another. There's also a Battle music track which I have set to play when there more than 4 enemies in a room. I'll probably change that to be triggered by level.

The Charge skill for the Knight is really fun to play with. It lets the Knight be able to get into the middle of a fight easily. I'll probably need to put a range limit on it at some stage, but it works well for now. The Knight's skill is going to be used to smash some obstacles that only he can destroy.

Chris has almost finished the portraits for all of the enemy characters so far. He only has to do the "overgrown" rabbits.

Philip has started a new tileset consiting of grass and trees! It's early so far, but I know it's going to look really exciting when it's done, adding a lot of variety to the game.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: October 11, 2012, 07:13:58 AM »

I'm pumped up about the latest updates!

I'm especially interested by
- "Designed ways to make each enemy unique and what's different about each of them (need to implement a fair bit)"
- "Designed a couple of new spells/skills"

Mind to elaborate a bit more on these?

Also, I'm very positive about the charge skill  Evil I think it's a neat way to deal with the Knight's issues with accomplishing much into fights. Can't wait to try all of these out first-hand.

Also very good to hear a proper sound engine is in. More music awesomeness  Kiss

alastair
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #328 on: October 11, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »

I like the Dash idea for the Knight, help him get into fights quicker.
JigxorAndy
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: October 11, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »

I'm pumped up about the latest updates!

I'm especially interested by
- "Designed ways to make each enemy unique and what's different about each of them (need to implement a fair bit)"
- "Designed a couple of new spells/skills"

Mind to elaborate a bit more on these?

Also, I'm very positive about the charge skill  Evil I think it's a neat way to deal with the Knight's issues with accomplishing much into fights. Can't wait to try all of these out first-hand.

Also very good to hear a proper sound engine is in. More music awesomeness  Kiss
I will elaborate on the skills sometime. I always post these devlogs before I go to bed, so I'm normally pretty sleepy! I'll be adding a heal skill to the Elf and a chain lightning spell to the Wizard soon.

As for the enemies, I didn't want them all to be "walk to player, attack". So I've come up with things that make almost every enemy unique. Examples are:
  • Zombie - respawns on death
  • Witch - Sap AP/Heal
  • Big Spider - spawns small spiders on death/slowing web
  • Bandit - steals gold on hit
  • Fire elemental - leaves a fire trail behind him
  • Armoured Skeleton - gives damage aura to surrounding enemies
  • Scarab - Suicide unit
  • Lich King - Spawns skeletons
  • Minotaur - Can charge in a straight line until it hits a player
  • Bat - Can fly over spikes/obstacles

I like the Dash idea for the Knight, help him get into fights quicker.
Yeah it seems to work well so far!

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic