* Worked on a new level
* Added Fire Arrow skill icon
* Made all ranged attacks have a chance to miss based on inverse square distance (higher chance to miss further away)
* Made ranged enemies not shoot at you if you are too far away
* Added AP Debuff skill for the enemy witch
* Added gibs for the witch
* Made fire/ice not appear when those skills miss
* Added item description for fire arrow
* Fixed bug with Knight not smashing tables
* Made AI better. Significantly reduced "hopping back and forth between tiles".
Happy with what I did today. Came across some stuff I didn't intend to fix, but did in the end since it was simple, like some AI stuff.
The ranged stuff I did today is pretty cool I think. You've got a much higher chance to miss the further you are away, but I put a cap on it, so that even when you're extremely far away you always have a 2% chance of hitting your target. I did this so that it's still possible to get an epic-day-saving shot off every once in a while. Equally, shots that are within 3 tiles are guaranteed hits. Melee strikes still have 1% chance of missing (not including enemy dodge).
Rough numbers for ranged attacks are: Guaranteed hit at 3 spaces or less. 75% chance to hit at 10 spaces. 33% chance to hit at 15 spaces. 20+spaces < 10%.
I also added an AP Debuff skill for the witches. They shoot at you and reduce your AP for the next turn. If you get hit enough you'll miss your next turn entirely! This makes the witches a good support class for the enemies and makes them interesting in combat. I need to represent when a player has lost AP due to a Debuff, as currently it just gives you a little green icon on you. The player might forget what happens by the time it comes around to their turn. Perhaps flashing the AP bar some other colour might work.
I also tweaked the AI a bit. I just thought I'd have a quick look at it, and I managed to fix a few problems very simply. The hopping around was due to the character using a "fleeing" tactic, but already being as far away as it could get and randomly choosing a tile to try and get further. I simply made it stop when it's as far away as it can get (without an A* path).
In this screenshot you can see the new Flame Arrow skill icon.
AP Reduction from the witch's spell