Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 06:18:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146650 times)
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »

Alex HW used to go by Kon, I believe.

Oh! That makes a lot of sense, someone else was trying to remember what his alias used to be. I forgot to ask him.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »

High elf attacks:

Grass tile:

Closed door:

junkboy
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 10:32:05 PM »

Alex HW and Dusty? Nice! This looks great
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 03:51:25 AM »

Alex HW and Dusty? Nice! This looks great
Thank you junkboy! That means a lot coming from you Smiley

Today's stuff:

Day 72
* added high-elf attack
* added new sounds
* added gold pickup
* added enemy character sprites (separate from their shadows, which is their base)
* added 'bounce' on being hit, and flash red on hit

Skeletons may or may not be placeholder.

Uykered
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 04:01:16 AM »

New tiles/character looks cool, the skeleton is cute! Will there be any more frames to the animations eventually?
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 05:12:37 AM »

New tiles/character looks cool, the skeleton is cute! Will there be any more frames to the animations eventually?

We're starting off with one attack frame per character+direction, but there's going to be different ones for each weapon type (e.g. dagger, axe, staff, bow, long sword). So there's a lot of different combinations which could end up being quite costly (with 6-8 playable characters planned too). Hopefully Alex will be able to do a few more frames, but I thought we should start with the essentials first and go from there.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 05:58:52 PM »

Real skeleton Tongue

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 04:06:15 AM »

Day 73:
* Tested out compatibility for Mac and Linux. There were a few bugs, but hopefully they will be resolved by the end of the project. It seems to work... for the most part.
* Modified AI so that they end their turn if they don't have a good move to do. Will continue with this tomorrow.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »

Day 74

Some in-game shots:

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »

Looks good! Smiley
JoshuaQuail
Level 0

pchoooo

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 01:49:03 AM »

made an account with this forum just so i could get updates to this brilliant game in the making. very excited to watch as it happens!
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 02:37:17 AM »

made an account with this forum just so i could get updates to this brilliant game in the making. very excited to watch as it happens!

Thank you! I hope you stick around and check out some of the other games too! Smiley

Looks good! Smiley

Thank you Smiley

Day 74 (2)
* made AI much better (different strategies such as attacking once and running away)
* fixed bug with player turn order if a player tried to vote too quickly after moving
* made some new test maps (seen in screenshots from today with new grass tiles)

I did an online playtest with a friend today and it seemed quite fun, though there's still a lot more to do. One of the next big sections will be the "skills", such as shooting fire balls from a magic staff or doubling your movement points with a quick sprint. The inventory system is another major feature which is yet to be implemented.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »

Starting to look awesome as more players fill up the screen

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »

This is looking really great and am looking forward to it - the coop nature is a huge bonus. Please make lots of short themed D&D Module like adventures that people can play instead of one long one. Also please make the sure the UI looks as great as the tiles.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »

Starting to look awesome as more players fill up the screen
It was surprising to me too how just adding in a few more enemies made it that little bit more fun.

This is looking really great and am looking forward to it - the coop nature is a huge bonus. Please make lots of short themed D&D Module like adventures that people can play instead of one long one. Also please make the sure the UI looks as great as the tiles.

Thanks! I'm actually planning to do pretty much exactly what you're talking about! I started making this game because I was inspired by playing strategy boardgames with friends and I want to be able to translate the fun aspects of strategizing together with friends to a computer game. I'm aiming to have somewhere in the ballpark of 30 levels/scenarios to play through, and each one will be a short little adventure with a particular theme as you mentioned - maybe in one level you'll be trying to kill an evil goblin king, and in another you'll be going through an ice cave trying to retrieve a lost relic.

The UI is something that's always in the back of my mind, and as you can tell from the WIP screenshots I haven't worked on it a lot yet. I still need to decide on what the controls for the game should be (mainly mouse or keyboard) and this will heavily influence the UI elements. I'll be sure to find someone who can really make it shine! (Probably Alex or Dusty Smiley)

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 01:53:11 AM »

Most of the work today I did was UI design related, I wrote up a lot of it on my tumblr devblog, which has most of the same stuff as this devblog, except I expand on some topics and ramble a whole lot more to myself: http://jigxor.org/

Day 75:
* Removed mouse controls, the game uses keyboard only for now, but I will most likely re-introduce them later
* Iterated on the UI - thanks to oryx for igniting some creative thoughts!

jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 05:50:35 AM »

Great progress, can't wait to check it out.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 08:22:39 AM »

It's turning out very cool. You got some great artists working on your game.
JoshuaQuail
Level 0

pchoooo

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »

since you brought up D&D, i thought i'd mention that i see this game being an excellent vehicle for running D&D (or most any tabletop RPG) encounters. do you plan on including DM-like controls for the host player? the attacks and stats would be impossible to reconcile (unless you included an ability builder, which i think is overkill), but that can be handled outside of the game. i could see myself using this in conjunction with a group skype and dice rolls, know what i mean?

either way, your progress is astounding! keep it up.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »

Turn based online co-op? It will be very interesting to see how you'll get around having to wait for three other people.

Also, the UI in the first post looks much cleaner and easier to read than the overlays. Transparent UI elements generally just clutter the screen, imo.

I hope combat will be very varied and interesting, because quite a lot of dungeon hacks become repetitive and boring quite fast because of it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic