Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:24:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146232 times)
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: November 12, 2012, 06:23:58 AM »

Day 316
* Optimized code so that it runs better on older computers

Today I started off by running the game's current build on another computer besides my desktop to see how it ran. I'd had some reports of the latest version not running as smoothly so I wanted to try to clean those up. I managed to make a fair few performance improvements so that the game will run better than it did previously on the most recent large map. There were a few certain elements that were making the game run slow, but it's actually quite difficult to squeeze more performance out of the game now which I'm a little bit concerned about. I would have thought there would be one element that would have stuck out as slowing the whole game down, but all the tweaks I did were pretty much a few FPS here and there that added up to the game running faster.

Philip finished off the forest tileset which I'm ready to make a level with. I aim to do that tomorrow.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: November 14, 2012, 04:18:10 AM »

A public level editor is the most requested feature in Dungeon Dashers. I'd always planned to make one once the game was released. But how important would it be to have it right now? I recently received an email which made me consider creating a public editor for people to start making their own levels now. I'm finding it hard to get time to build new levels as well as add features. So a level editor would allow people to create and share their own maps and play more of the game now.

What do you think?

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: November 14, 2012, 07:56:44 AM »

Day 319
* Imported Philip's Forest Tileset
* Worked on a forest level

Forests!

deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 14, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »

A public level editor is the most requested feature in Dungeon Dashers. I'd always planned to make one once the game was released. But how important would it be to have it right now? I recently received an email which made me consider creating a public editor for people to start making their own levels now. I'm finding it hard to get time to build new levels as well as add features. So a level editor would allow people to create and share their own maps and play more of the game now.

What do you think?
Look at it this way, you could have a slew of user made campaigns and maps ready before the game even releases.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: November 14, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »

What do you think?
Look at it this way, you could have a slew of user made campaigns and maps ready before the game even releases.

That's true, as long as people are interested! I need a better level editor myself as well, because the current one is making the process of developing maps slow too.

I'm going to write out some short term goals today and some needed features to work on. I think a map editor is going to be one of them.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: November 14, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »

I've been thinking about things I need to do next to make the game better.

Here are some things I'll be focusing on in the coming days:

1. Revive confirmation when you step into a dead player's tile (should be able to do this today)
2. Public level editor (need to work out essential features, stable map format, and how it should look/work to be intuitive)
3. If I happen to finish the level editor, then more skills + item unlocks.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: November 15, 2012, 12:45:53 AM »

Day 319
* Imported Philip's Forest Tileset
* Worked on a forest level

Forests!

Philip tiles are always amazing  Shocked

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: November 15, 2012, 09:16:09 AM »

Day 320
* Added confirmation to revives
* Started work on public level editor

Adding confirmation to the revives was actually more complicated than I had anticipated. But I managed to make it work in the end. If you select "No" you will step through the player's tile (the same as when they are alive). There are bugs (not game-breaking) if you die on the same tile as them... which only happens if you step onto spikes.

I've begun developing a level editor that will be available with future builds of the game so that people can make their own levels and share them with friends.

Plain, but gets the job done:

Level editor so far:

dustyshouri
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 15, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »

Philip tiles are always amazing  Shocked
Thank you Smiley
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: November 18, 2012, 08:37:43 AM »

Day 323
* Worked on level editor

I worked on the level editor today. Some stuff is quick to do, since I can port the code from my existing editor. Other parts (the stuff which makes it prettier/easier to use) take a bit longer.

Sorry updates have been slow lately! Been busy with organizing some other game-dev related things such as changing my CDN/hosting to Amazon's S3 and changing some other web hosting stuff. Because of these changes, some links images may possibly temporarily break (due to DNS updates), let me know if the images in this thread die.

Here's the new level editor so far:

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 18, 2012, 10:00:23 AM »

This, my friend, is pure sex.

Keep on going.  Hand Metal LeftAngryHand Metal Right

deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 18, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »

Looking good, going to be interesting to see how the level editor turns out.(I still want torch triggers for hidden rooms or something like that though)
I've been meaning to ask you how is the multiplayer component going to work out when not in combat? Since it is turn based does that mean that whomever gets the last blow in combat can potentially horde the dungeon crawling to themselves until the next encounter?
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: November 18, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »

This, my friend, is pure sex.

Keep on going.  Hand Metal LeftAngryHand Metal Right

Thank you! Smiley

Looking good, going to be interesting to see how the level editor turns out.(I still want torch triggers for hidden rooms or something like that though)
I've been meaning to ask you how is the multiplayer component going to work out when not in combat? Since it is turn based does that mean that whomever gets the last blow in combat can potentially horde the dungeon crawling to themselves until the next encounter?

Torch triggers will be possible. They're currently possible with the scripting features I have already.

And who's to say that there aren't already secrets in the current levels which you haven't found yet? Wink

For Multiplayer, when there are no enemies around, all players will be able to move at the same time. It's something I thought a lot about during development, and it's one of the reasons I've delayed multiplayer a fair bit (since the early builds) - I didn't want to code it in only to need to rewrite the engine a few times. Now that all the core features of the game are quite settled, and it's mostly content, I'll be looking into adding proper multiplayer in the near future. So when you're all moving around at the same time you can collect treasure independently and run amok until you reach another door and engage in combat.

deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 18, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »

BLASPHEMY! I would have found the secrets by now!  Wizard
Lobotomist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 19, 2012, 12:55:37 AM »

Very hyped about the editor. Cant wait to see how it turns out  Smiley
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: November 19, 2012, 01:20:13 AM »

Very hyped about the editor. Cant wait to see how it turns out  Smiley

Thanks! It's good to hear that people seem quite interested in it. It reaffirms that it's worth doing, and motivates me to work on it Smiley

BLASPHEMY! I would have found the secrets by now!  Wizard

There is 1 secret in the current build, but don't spend your time looking for it, there's no hint of where it is Tongue When the map editor is out you'll be able to open up the level and work out where it is anyway!

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: November 19, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »

Day 324
* Added options to show/hide tiles/overhang/entities [level editor]
* Added ability to change collision mask on tiles [level editor]
* Added save for tiles [level editor]
* Added overhang placement/delete [level editor]

Worked on the level editor today some more. A screenshot would pretty much look the same as yesterday! Basic tiles saving/loading is working so far. Tomorrow I'll start adding entity placement (enemies, chests, torches, etc.).

If any of the screenshots stop working, let me know, as I recently changed some hosting options.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: November 21, 2012, 07:58:32 AM »

Day 326
* Added saving to overhang tiles [level editor]
* Started entity functions [level editor]
* Fixed bug with not being able to revive players after a dialogue box
* Fixed bug with yes/no appearing during dialogue.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: November 22, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »

Day 327
* Added Test Map function [level editor]
* Worked on entity functions

Didn't get all that much done today, but slow progress is still progress. Entities are going to be a little tedious to implement, but in the end it will be worth it, since the editor will be much easier to work with.

deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 22, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »

Is the map editor going to have scripting options for dialogue in reaction to events etc, or is that something we'll have to do by hand?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic