Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:03:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146685 times)
AmazingJas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 25, 2013, 03:02:29 AM »

Wow. You have done a great job of making this a powerful editor and deep overall package. Well done.

What's the roadmap from here?
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: January 25, 2013, 03:35:30 AM »

Wow. You have done a great job of making this a powerful editor and deep overall package. Well done.

What's the roadmap from here?

Thank you! I'm glad thank you think it's powerful. It took quite a while to put together, and while it's not the prettiest or easiest editor to use, it has all the functionality.

I'd love to see any cool levels that anyone comes up with Smiley

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Lobotomist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 27, 2013, 06:54:18 AM »

Cheers on awesome release !  Toast Left

Now , only to have time and make some nice levels :D
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: January 27, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »

Cheers on awesome release !  Toast Left

Now , only to have time and make some nice levels :D

Thank you! I hope people enjoy it Smiley

Lobotomist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 28, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »

BTW any chance you know location of savegame on win 8 ?
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: January 28, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »

BTW any chance you know location of savegame on win 8 ?

I'm not sure where the equivalent folder is on Windows 8. In code, it saves it to %APPDATA%. So for me that's "C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Roaming\Dungeon Dashers".

I use Windows 7 so I don't really konw where it would be on Windows 8. After a bit of Googling, it seems it might be in the same location, but hidden by default. Try showing hidden folders.

Lobotomist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 29, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »

Problem is Win 8 does not let me enter appdata even though i am running administrator account(yay! thanks microsoft) , will have to do bit digging to see how to access it.
nightz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 29, 2013, 06:39:31 AM »

From the videos all i can say is that the game looks awesome, i'll buy it tonight and have a go Smiley Also, since i'm on Windows 8 i can help with some feedback. Mind me asking you what language are you using and your plans on porting the whole stuff to other platforms? Also, are you coding stuff in server already and then you will just include more clients and prediction? Just wondering... Smiley Also following you on twitter.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: January 29, 2013, 06:47:26 AM »

From the videos all i can say is that the game looks awesome, i'll buy it tonight and have a go Smiley Also, since i'm on Windows 8 i can help with some feedback. Mind me asking you what language are you using and your plans on porting the whole stuff to other platforms? Also, are you coding stuff in server already and then you will just include more clients and prediction? Just wondering... Smiley Also following you on twitter.

Thank you for the kind words. At this stage it's looking less likely that I will port the game to other platforms. It's being developed with Multimedia Fusion 2, and so it's quite difficult to port the game, short of having custom extensions developed by a third party.

The game is player hosted peer-to-peer. So there is no dedicated server.

nightz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 30, 2013, 04:16:02 PM »

Hey, bought your game today, gave it a go, overall its pretty cool but i think it lacks depth. I mean, its awesome to walk on the dungeon (even without player anims), the graphics are awesome, the music is good too but there is 'something' missing. It gets old quickly. What I think the game is lacking is maybe more rpg elements. Maybe some side quests (instead of only collecting gold and killing monsters?) or maybe additional objectives. Don't get me wrong, i loved the game (mainly the visuals and how old school it plays) and I'm sure you still will put more stuff on it, so i just came here to share my feedback expecting the game to be improved. By the way, it crashed when i exited but it was only when i chose 'quit', windows 8 Smiley

I recommended your game to a friend and he said:
"The truth is, if this game was released 15 years ago, it would be an awesome game cause games at that time were just like that today we need something more even for an indie"

Keep the good work Smiley
PS: If you are reading this and became interested in the game, buy it. Support the author. It is a good game and will get better and better, I'm sure  Beer!
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: January 30, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »

Hey, bought your game today, gave it a go, overall its pretty cool but i think it lacks depth. I mean, its awesome to walk on the dungeon (even without player anims), the graphics are awesome, the music is good too but there is 'something' missing. It gets old quickly. What I think the game is lacking is maybe more rpg elements. Maybe some side quests (instead of only collecting gold and killing monsters?) or maybe additional objectives. Don't get me wrong, i loved the game (mainly the visuals and how old school it plays) and I'm sure you still will put more stuff on it, so i just came here to share my feedback expecting the game to be improved. By the way, it crashed when i exited but it was only when i chose 'quit', windows 8 Smiley

"The truth is, if this game was released 15 years ago, it would be an awesome game cause games at that time were just like that today we need something more even for an indie"

PS: If you are reading this and became interested in the game, buy it. Support the author. It is a good game and will get better and better, I'm sure  Beer!

Thank you for the honest feedback!

Do you have any suggestions on what I could improve to fix what's missing? If there were new skills each level, new enemies, other elements, etc. do you think that would hold your interest?

I was reluctant to put in RPG-stat building elements because that wasn't part of the original design. To me the game was more about using tactics to out outmaneuver the enemies, rather than grind stats to get really good gear etc. That's why for the weapons/items I wasn't going to make any item necessarily "better" than another, and each having its own strengths/weaknesses. However I'm open to changing this if it would truly make the game better. I haven't experimented much with the stats yet, as you can see, no weapons are being unlocked.

Lobotomist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 31, 2013, 02:04:11 AM »

Thank you for the honest feedback!

Do you have any suggestions on what I could improve to fix what's missing? If there were new skills each level, new enemies, other elements, etc. do you think that would hold your interest?

I was reluctant to put in RPG-stat building elements because that wasn't part of the original design. To me the game was more about using tactics to out outmaneuver the enemies, rather than grind stats to get really good gear etc. That's why for the weapons/items I wasn't going to make any item necessarily "better" than another, and each having its own strengths/weaknesses. However I'm open to changing this if it would truly make the game better. I haven't experimented much with the stats yet, as you can see, no weapons are being unlocked.

My cup of tea in defense of DD

Its exactly why i love DDashers. Its tactical turn based RPG stripped to the core of what i like - and thats the tactical element , crawling and puzzle solving.

I care for the story , but to the point its only mood setter and not a main focus. Anyways there is more than enough RPGs where story is focus, and preciosly little that turn based tactic is.

And also , i am sure we only see here tip of iceberg - since most of skills , and items are still not in (at least i hope so) + dont forget about the editor Wink

nightz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 31, 2013, 05:21:18 AM »

Yeah, i love it too but i feel it lacks depth sometimes. Yesterday i spent some time thinking about whats exactly missing and i though it was something to encourage more exploration while not making it boring. I truly believe that more puzzling around the dungeon (instead of just simple switches that open doors) and maybe more usage of the classes will make the game feel better. The assassin isn't really useful most of the time (c'mon the knight kick asses by himself) and neither is the ranger (wizard spells have LOTS of range and are usually stronger). So i think that's it. The classes needs to show themselves more (and be more useful) in the spirit of 'making a difference' and the dungeon needs more puzzling and incentive for exploring other than collecting loot. I feel somehow the player needs the sensation of accomplishment and more brain work sometimes brings that  Gentleman
Lobotomist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:17 AM »

I can agree with you on that.

The game will need more puzzles , and more class skills (and items) - and definetly more difficulty.

But (and correct me if i am wrong) we are still seeing mere birth of functional engine skeleton. The game details are still to be added.
Jerom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: January 31, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »

Some ideas about the "lack of depth":
- "magic tiles" where only the wizard can walk on ("elfish bushes" where only January the elve could walk on, etc.)
- push-able barriers stopping monsters (the chair is not really interesting... but it's still fun to destroy them^^); this way, we can create sokoban-puzzle :D

BTW the level editor is really great! Add keyboard shortcut should be on your todo list Wink

deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 31, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »

Well I finished my first level if anyone wants to check it out, I plan it to be a part of a larger campaign, but figured some of you guys like me are just waiting for new levels and content to play.

http://deadlyhabit.com/dungeondashers/001.map

Right click save should work as a direct click will open it in a text file.

Hopefully it should present a nice balance of challenging combat and puzzles (also some secret loot).
Looking forward to doing more once the scripting is enabled along with some other things in the editor.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:33:41 AM by deadlyhabit » Logged
nightz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 31, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »

Some puzzles regarding pushable rocks (like old resident evil puzzles) would be nice too
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: January 31, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »

Woah thanks for the super great ideas guys! I will have to agree with what Lobotomist said, in that DD has always concentrated on being a fast-paced tactical game that is stripped down to the core elements so that it skips over the tedious parts of the game, such as waiting for slow turns.

I do however agree
I truly believe that more puzzling around the dungeon (instead of just simple switches that open doors) and maybe more usage of the classes will make the game feel better. The assassin isn't really useful most of the time (c'mon the knight kick asses by himself) and neither is the ranger (wizard spells have LOTS of range and are usually stronger). So i think that's it. The classes needs to show themselves more (and be more useful) in the spirit of 'making a difference' and the dungeon needs more puzzling and incentive for exploring other than collecting loot. I feel somehow the player needs the sensation of accomplishment and more brain work sometimes brings that  Gentleman
I do completely agree with this though. This is one part character balance / skill design, and one part level design.

My level designs are average so far. I've added this level editor after a lot of people requested it, so hopefully some people are able to make some interesting maps that push the puzzle and creative elements of the game's design.

The game will need more puzzles , and more class skills (and items) - and definetly more difficulty.

But (and correct me if i am wrong) we are still seeing mere birth of functional engine skeleton. The game details are still to be added.
This is pretty much what I'm aiming for. I think with enough new skills, items, etc. it should hold people's attention much better. If most levels end with you unlocking something new, it should keep it quite fresh. Combined with fun levels of course.

Some ideas about the "lack of depth":
- "magic tiles" where only the wizard can walk on ("elfish bushes" where only January the elve could walk on, etc.)
- push-able barriers stopping monsters (the chair is not really interesting... but it's still fun to destroy them^^); this way, we can create sokoban-puzzle :D

BTW the level editor is really great! Add keyboard shortcut should be on your todo list Wink
Those are some really really cool ideas! I like the idea of tiles that only certain characters can walk on. I want to work out a list of all of the possible traps/special entities/etc. But it's tough! I'm also not sure if every type of switch should be able to activate/deactivate every type of trap.

I do plan to have some kind of pushable obstacle. There is a boulder which has been drawn but not implemented yet. It was designed to roll down a corridor and kill players as a trap, but I could use that instead... or have both!

Well I finished my first level if anyone wants to check it out, I plan it to be a part of a larger campaign, but figured some of you guys like me are just waiting for new levels and content to play.

http://deadlyhabit.com/dungeondashers/001.map

Right click save should work as a direct click will open it in a text file.

Hopefully it should present a nice balance of challenging combat and puzzles (also some secret loot).
Looking forward to doing more once the scripting is enabled along with some other things in the editor.
Awesome work on making a level! I'll definitely check it out soon.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: January 31, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »

Forgot to mention, there are keyboard shortcuts. Try Q/W/E/A/S/D to switch between modes.

deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 31, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »

One thing that would be nice in the editor would be a tool to give info on an already placed entity and being able to edit it without deleting and replacing it.
When I was designing different sections of my map I wasn't placing entities  right away so it wasn't just a 0, 1, 2 etc scheme for group or activate ids.
When I came back later to work more on the level I couldn't remember which ids i'd already used so had to go back delete and replace them again which got to be a bit of a pain.

Also some lighting besides torches would be cool. Since I used the forest tiles it didn't seem right to place torches all over for the aesthetic, so I hid some under overhangs for trees and such, but the sections without trees were left unlit.

I'm hoping when the scripting is enabled for the editor some new tricks can be implemented, so I'll reserve mechanic ideas until then.

Also just curious how does the tileset tool exactly work?

Keep up the good work man.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic