Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411484 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:18:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146745 times)
nightz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 31, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »

Deadlyhabit, i just played your map, very cool. Thanks Smiley
Wish it had more puzzling elements, but i guess we learn that with time  Ninja
Can't wait for the next dungeon dashers version Smiley
deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 31, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »

Thanks, there's only so much with what's available at the moment that you can do with puzzles (will probably become a lot more versatile when scripting is enabled). I'm trying to come up with some more complicated ones, but kind of hard with what's available so far, but not going to stop me from getting creative.

Also I just realized the select tool does what I was bitching about in my last post for entities, didn't RTFM enough times  Embarrassed

Also I'm curious if the user generated stuff with say a campaign will be able to generate some sort of introduction like the main campaign.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: January 31, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »

Thanks, there's only so much with what's available at the moment that you can do with puzzles (will probably become a lot more versatile when scripting is enabled). I'm trying to come up with some more complicated ones, but kind of hard with what's available so far, but not going to stop me from getting creative.

Also I just realized the select tool does what I was bitching about in my last post for entities, didn't RTFM enough times  Embarrassed

Also I'm curious if the user generated stuff with say a campaign will be able to generate some sort of introduction like the main campaign.
As you found out you can select and change entities with the select too.

Hopefully there will be some kind of "cutscenes" like the ones in the current campaign that users can create. The current ones are hardcoded.

As for scripting, it's possible to script stuff, it's just not build into the editor. You need to open up the map files in a text editor and write it in yourself. You can look at the existing maps to see how I scripted some sequences in there. It's not pretty but it works. My raw notes are also in the manual.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: February 01, 2013, 02:26:38 AM »

Also some lighting besides torches would be cool. Since I used the forest tiles it didn't seem right to place torches all over for the aesthetic, so I hid some under overhangs for trees and such, but the sections without trees were left unlit.

Good lighting sources for a forest tileset could be:
- Lighting Bugs which fly dently in the air, casting light over a small area.
- Mushrooms. The concept of bioluminescent mushrooms can be found in many fantasy settings. These might be used in other tilesets as well, like in a caves one.

Lobotomist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 01, 2013, 04:57:05 AM »

Coming from D&D - I can say that variety of magic spells (or in this case also class skills) that affect world and characters in different ways, add a lot to variety - and tactics especially.

So I have no doubt the game will be increasingly complex and interesting as the things get added up.
deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 01, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »

Also some lighting besides torches would be cool. Since I used the forest tiles it didn't seem right to place torches all over for the aesthetic, so I hid some under overhangs for trees and such, but the sections without trees were left unlit.

Good lighting sources for a forest tileset could be:
- Lighting Bugs which fly dently in the air, casting light over a small area.
- Mushrooms. The concept of bioluminescent mushrooms can be found in many fantasy settings. These might be used in other tilesets as well, like in a caves one.
Both sound perfect, hadn't thought of the shrooms, but had thought of fireflies.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: February 01, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »

Glowing magical crystals in the rock walls?
deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 01, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »

Is there anyway we could get a rundown of the stats on the various monsters?

Also on campaign map 1 how did you overlap the dungeon entrance tiles, as it doesn't seem possible in the editor.

pic for reference
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:16:42 PM by deadlyhabit » Logged
nico010
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 01, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »

Well I finished my first level if anyone wants to check it out, I plan it to be a part of a larger campaign, but figured some of you guys like me are just waiting for new levels and content to play.

http://deadlyhabit.com/dungeondashers/001.map

Right click save should work as a direct click will open it in a text file.

Hopefully it should present a nice balance of challenging combat and puzzles (also some secret loot).
Looking forward to doing more once the scripting is enabled along with some other things in the editor.

how many time did you need to make that, I tried it and that's awesome
Lobotomist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »

How do you start user created map (its awesome!) with characters that have all skills unlocked ?
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: February 02, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »

Is there anyway we could get a rundown of the stats on the various monsters?

Also on campaign map 1 how did you overlap the dungeon entrance tiles, as it doesn't seem possible in the editor.

pic for reference

That entrance was made in an old editor, so it may not be possible now that I look at it. It's a combination of two tiles and then 3 overhang. I'll look into it again.

Stats for monsters - I'll take a look at some point, but they'll probably be tweaked a bit too.

deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 02, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »

how many time did you need to make that, I tried it and that's awesome
I assume you mean how long did it take me to make that map. It took me probably around 4-5 hours in total since I was still familiarizing myself with the editor. I also did it not in just one sitting, but bursts brainstorming the puzzles, designing one, linking them together with rooms, adding in the various barriers and traps, adding in secrets, adding in enemies, testing the whole time, and then placing the final polish and balance.

That entrance was made in an old editor, so it may not be possible now that I look at it. It's a combination of two tiles and then 3 overhang. I'll look into it again.

Stats for monsters - I'll take a look at some point, but they'll probably be tweaked a bit too.
Sweet, it's kind of trial and error to balancing fights at the moment without them.

A few notes for you about the editor:
 - The unlocks and achievements for the main campaign carry over to user made campaigns, same with level unlocks I believe (ie: if you beat the main campaign and have a user campaign with less levels they start already unlocked even though you haven't played them, same with the ability unlocks.) I'm thinking a quick fix for it would be a unique save file for each campaign.

- Any changes you make to a .map file in a text editor are erased/overwritten if you go back in the editor and and save again.

- The lava tiles don't put off any lighting, don't know if that's intentional it just seems odd.

ANYWAYS...

For you aspiring map makers I did an impromptu tutorial video on the Dungeon Builder 0.1

Hopefully that should get some of you guys going as I'm having almost as much fun making maps as I am playing the normal build.
deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 02, 2013, 06:22:08 PM »

Ok while testing a map just now I just discovered a couple quirks in the mechanics that may be inadvertent.
 - Ryder can blink through gates
 - Sir Jacob can dash through gates
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: February 02, 2013, 09:05:17 PM »

Ok while testing a map just now I just discovered a couple quirks in the mechanics that may be inadvertent.
 - Ryder can blink through gates
 - Sir Jacob can dash through gates

Ryder blinking through gates is intentional/gameplay mechanic. Perhaps it shouldn't be?

Sir Jacob dashing through gates (he can hit the next tile/enemy, but I don't think he goes through). This is a bug.

Wow. This video and map you've made are incredible.

A few notes for you about the editor:
 - The unlocks and achievements for the main campaign carry over to user made campaigns, same with level unlocks I believe (ie: if you beat the main campaign and have a user campaign with less levels they start already unlocked even though you haven't played them, same with the ability unlocks.) I'm thinking a quick fix for it would be a unique save file for each campaign.
That sounds like a bug. It is meant to have different progress for each campaign. I'll check it.

- Any changes you make to a .map file in a text editor are erased/overwritten if you go back in the editor and and save again.
If that happens when you don't already have the file open... sounds like another bug.

- The lava tiles don't put off any lighting, don't know if that's intentional it just seems odd.
I haven't played with the lava much, but looking at your video, some kind of lights to just place sound like a good idea for the forest as well, etc.

I'm taking a lot of notes from your video. A fair few bugs, but also just some crazy stuff I didn't even think of doing which you've tried to do with the editor. Such as putting traps on chests. You could similar stuff with scripting I think. Such as having spikes pop up under the player when he/she opens a chest.

Another question to everyone: How should I handle money in the custom levels? I know there's no shop at the moment, but the player could easily make a level that is just chests, and then stock up on cash which they could presumably use in the main campaign.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: February 02, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »

So after some playthroughs of deadlyhabit's maps I've written down lots of bugs and stuff. I feel almost overwhelmed with stuff to tackle!

Here's another design problem:
* What happens if a player dies and nobody can get to them to revive?

Uykered
« Reply #515 on: February 02, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »

Their body could decay to a skeleton after an amount of turns?
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: February 02, 2013, 11:37:14 PM »

Their body could decay to a skeleton after an amount of turns?

Then they ultimately lose the character/need to restart? The main problem is if the player dies somewhere crucial, e.g. where only the Assassin could get to a switch. Then the constraint is on the level designer rather than the player.

Uykered
« Reply #517 on: February 03, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »

Then they ultimately lose the character/need to restart?

Sounds good to me!
Lobotomist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 03, 2013, 12:04:57 AM »

For you aspiring map makers I did an impromptu tutorial video on the Dungeon Builder 0.1

Thanks sir !  Gentleman
deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 03, 2013, 05:22:59 AM »

Then they ultimately lose the character/need to restart?

Sounds good to me!
That was what I was trying to do, make it punishing so the player thinks further ahead and more about tactics. I figure a good progression of levels should ease players into this mode of thinking.
Putting the 5 star goal aside to thinking tactics and ensuring survival, while making 5 star ratings possible for those players who work well together (if multiplayer) and plan out their moves and are tacticians.
Then again we chatted last night, and who knows where my campaign will end up.
I figure since the multiplayer is going to be friend based rather than a server browser/matchmaking, people will be playing using teamspeak/skype etc akin to most games so i think it's going to play out interesting, maybe even like a virtual tabletop gaming session of D&D/Pathfinder to some degree.
In fact I was almost tempted to reach to some of my Pathfinder/Call of Cthulhu RPG books to recreate maps, but realized it wouldn't be practical.

tl;dr like most modding tools, the dungeon builder adds A LOT to this game, as the mechanics and it evolve it should ensure a bunch of user generated content which is always good for a game and it's longevity.

tl;dr 2 START MAKING SOME MAPS AND CAMPAIGNS PEOPLE
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:28:12 AM by deadlyhabit » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic