Just thought I'd do a quick post to update everyone on what's been going on lately since I haven't been posting much. I've been doing a lot of work lately that isn't direct programming but which moves the game along in other areas. This isn't a normal "Daily" update since I usually code in those, but just an update on the past week or two.Past week or so:
* I've been sorting out a lot of stuff to do with GDC. I'm exhibiting at GDC Play Kiosk #77 (come say hello!). That's pretty much sorted out now.
* I've been talking with Chris Singleton
who is doing the writing for the game. He's developing some really cool ideas and writing some neat dialogue which replaces my crappy writing. The overall outline and direction is similar to before, but with more twists, turns and interesting bits and pieces.
* I've been in contact with a couple of artists who are concepting logos for the game.
* Philip has been fixing up some of the tilesets, such as Lava/Forest
* Chris is working on the Dragon sprite again
* Nathan has been producing many awesome tracks which haven't been shown yet. One of them is in the latest trailer.
* Sam Mummery (game developer friend) has been doing some new mockups for the character loadout screens which are a lot more intuitive and cleaner
This stuff all takes a lot of time to provide feedback on and communicate. I find it very difficult to decide on something like how a logo should look or what's possible with the story in terms of how it relates to gameplay.
I also have a big list of stuff I want for the build at GDC. I high estimated that it would be about 14 days of work. Some items will take 30 minutes, other parts 1 day. So there's still time to do it before I leave for GDC on the 19th of March, as long as I get coding soon.Stuff I want for the GDC build:
* 5 Forest Levels
* Dragon Boss
* More skills
* Hit change indicator (%) for range attacks
* Shadows fixed properly (new tilesets don't have them yet)
* Change skill hotkeys to QWER instead of 1234
* Bug Fixes
* Music engine tweaked so that it plays different tracks on levels
* Imperfect pixel scaling (game only does integer scaling atm because it looks better
* Redo first level (tutorial/dialogue sucks)
* 1 Lava level (or more)
* Title screen (new logo, better menu, etc)
* End of level screen more exciting
* Character UI screen