Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:32:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146667 times)
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: February 03, 2013, 09:23:11 PM »

tl;dr like most modding tools, the dungeon builder adds A LOT to this game, as the mechanics and it evolve it should ensure a bunch of user generated content which is always good for a game and it's longevity.

tl;dr 2 START MAKING SOME MAPS AND CAMPAIGNS PEOPLE

Woo! I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else people come up with Smiley

I'm working on designing how some new levels and story elements fit together right now.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Lobotomist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 05, 2013, 12:04:50 AM »

I am allready making some Smiley
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: February 05, 2013, 12:08:31 AM »

I am allready making some Smiley

Wooo! Yeaaaaah!

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: February 05, 2013, 07:12:03 AM »

Day 402
* Worked out some design problems with building levels, healing, death, and gold use
* Fixed bug with knight charging through gates
* Fixed gate orientation not showing up in level editor
* Changed gate orientation/state labels in level editor
* Fixed triggers/scripting/metadata not being saved in level editor after being change

I've got a big todo list of things I need to work on for Dungeon Dashers. I worked from that today and found it was quite helpful. It helps focus my mind and stops me from getting overwhelmed by the big task. When it's broken down into little pieces and I'm only doing a Pomodoro on "Fix charging through gates", then things are more manageable, and I get stuff done.

nightz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 05, 2013, 07:45:06 AM »

Indeed. I always think about the bug tracking as the big motivation behind production. If you let yourself go by "big features" you probably wont finish anything as if you were fixing bugs and enhancement proposals. Keep up the good work Smiley
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: February 05, 2013, 07:49:42 AM »

Indeed. I always think about the bug tracking as the big motivation behind production. If you let yourself go by "big features" you probably wont finish anything as if you were fixing bugs and enhancement proposals. Keep up the good work Smiley

Thanks Smiley

It is very overwhelming to just think of features like "build level editor". And I think that's what demotivated me about that last big task. It was quite difficult to do and was difficult to show progress without it being complete. Hopefully now I should be able to move back into consistently doing lots of small tasks and progressing slowly but surely.

I also had a friend over today who was working on his own project, but we kept each other motivated and used the same Pomodoro sessions. It worked well!

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: February 06, 2013, 05:49:34 AM »

Day 403
* Added map properties to level editor
* Fixed how objects are layered in level editor
* Fixed overhang being duplicated multiple times when clicking on the same spot in level editor
* Made it possible to paint large tiles in level editor instead of individually clicking (bug was making them to overwrite each other)
* Fixed line-of-sight/shooting through doors and blockades
* Stopped the knight's dead body from charging through spikes after death

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: February 10, 2013, 06:22:25 AM »

Day 407
I spent most of today and yesterday organizing stuff for GDC. I'll be exhibiting Dungeon Dashers at GDC Play (Kiosk 77), so come say hello if you're around! I'd love to meet up with other developers over there. I live in Australia so it's quite a big flight, and I've been lucky enough to get funding from Film Victoria (government organisation) to sponsor my trip.

There's been a lot of "business" stuff to do lately. GDC is one part, and that also means I have to organise other things associated with it (business cards, artwork, copy for descriptions, filling out forms, etc.) It's exciting and slightly stressful.

Nathan has been reworking and remastering the tracks for the game, which are sounding spectacular. We've got some plans for how to integrate the tracks into the game better now so that they fit into particular areas, levels, and moods.

Chris has been working on some new character portraits to replace the other ones. He received some design help on the Elf's portrait from a friend named "Facet".

I'm really happy with how they turned out, though we may change the assassin to be less sinister to fit in with some storyline elements that are planned.

I'm planning to work on some new levels tomorrow and I might make a new video sometime this week.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: February 13, 2013, 06:08:54 AM »

Looking for someone to create a new Dungeon Dashers logo:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=31564.0

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: February 13, 2013, 06:37:32 AM »

really nice work on those portraits.
I personally feel the fighter looks way too "thin" compared to his role / archetype - I know this comes from the perspective, but I just cannot unsee it.
Also I have to say that the elf kinda sticks out to me in terms of style. It is mostly how the shading is done on the skin, which is so tremendously different to the mage or fighter.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: February 13, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »

really nice work on those portraits.
I personally feel the fighter looks way too "thin" compared to his role / archetype - I know this comes from the perspective, but I just cannot unsee it.
Also I have to say that the elf kinda sticks out to me in terms of style. It is mostly how the shading is done on the skin, which is so tremendously different to the mage or fighter.

Thank you! I'm sure Chris will be very happy to hear your comments.

I agree with you on the fighter/Knight. He is quite different to a typical knight. I'm unsure if this is a good thing to make him unique to other fantasy games (in the new storyline he's not a macho tough guy), or if it is too jarring for players.

I'll pass on your feedback about the elf. Do you think the shading needs improvement or is the style simply different? I think he went about creating the elf using different techniques.

deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 16, 2013, 10:01:40 AM »

The handlebar mustache must stay! My Word!

Oh and for those interested in the map making and development, I was doing a stream of some mapmaking on twitch and Andy was kind enough to stop by and shoot the breeze on what's going on and such on Skype while I was doing it.
I uploaded a highlight starting from when he popped in until the end, a little over an hour.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: February 16, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »

The handlebar mustache must stay! My Word!

Oh and for those interested in the map making and development, I was doing a stream of some mapmaking on twitch and Andy was kind enough to stop by and shoot the breeze on what's going on and such on Skype while I was doing it.
I uploaded a highlight starting from when he popped in until the end, a little over an hour.

Thanks for posting that. That was fun Smiley

I made a new trailer for the game to tease some upcoming areas:

I'll be developing another trailer in a couple of weeks for GDC.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: February 21, 2013, 05:33:14 PM »

Just thought I'd do a quick post to update everyone on what's been going on lately since I haven't been posting much. I've been doing a lot of work lately that isn't direct programming but which moves the game along in other areas. This isn't a normal "Daily" update since I usually code in those, but just an update on the past week or two.

Past week or so:
* I've been sorting out a lot of stuff to do with GDC. I'm exhibiting at GDC Play Kiosk #77 (come say hello!). That's pretty much sorted out now.
* I've been talking with Chris Singleton who is doing the writing for the game. He's developing some really cool ideas and writing some neat dialogue which replaces my crappy writing. The overall outline and direction is similar to before, but with more twists, turns and interesting bits and pieces.
* I've been in contact with a couple of artists who are concepting logos for the game.
* Philip has been fixing up some of the tilesets, such as Lava/Forest
* Chris is working on the Dragon sprite again
* Nathan has been producing many awesome tracks which haven't been shown yet. One of them is in the latest trailer.
* Sam Mummery (game developer friend) has been doing some new mockups for the character loadout screens which are a lot more intuitive and cleaner

This stuff all takes a lot of time to provide feedback on and communicate. I find it very difficult to decide on something like how a logo should look or what's possible with the story in terms of how it relates to gameplay.

I also have a big list of stuff I want for the build at GDC. I high estimated that it would be about 14 days of work. Some items will take 30 minutes, other parts 1 day. So there's still time to do it before I leave for GDC on the 19th of March, as long as I get coding soon.

Stuff I want for the GDC build:
* 5 Forest Levels
* Dragon Boss
* More skills
* Hit change indicator (%) for range attacks
* Healing/Potions
* Shadows fixed properly (new tilesets don't have them yet)
* Change skill hotkeys to QWER instead of 1234
* Bug Fixes
* Music engine tweaked so that it plays different tracks on levels
* Imperfect pixel scaling (game only does integer scaling atm because it looks better Tongue)
* Redo first level (tutorial/dialogue sucks)
* 1 Lava level (or more)
* Title screen (new logo, better menu, etc)
* End of level screen more exciting
* Character UI screen

Qunit
Level 0

Concept artist & Graphic Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: February 21, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »

you pixel-art work just reminds me of Henk Nieborg, which is AWESOME!!! - the rocks tile in particular.

love to see more Durr...?

editmode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 21, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »

Wow looks great, the character sprites are fantastic, remind me of Magic Sword and the Capcom D&D brawlers. I'll be at GDC so I'll definitely drop by.

Also nice to see a Melbourne indie (I used to live there) Beer!

UFO Dad coming soon!
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: February 23, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »

Wow looks great, the character sprites are fantastic, remind me of Magic Sword and the Capcom D&D brawlers. I'll be at GDC so I'll definitely drop by.

Also nice to see a Melbourne indie (I used to live there) Beer!

Thanks! All credit goes to the awesome artists working on the project. I do programming/design.

Looking forward to meeting you Smiley

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: February 23, 2013, 10:59:26 PM »

Yeah, that video is very sexy. I went to greenlight to make sure I had voted yes. I had already but still clicked yes a few times just to be doubly sure. I too will be looking for you at GDC. Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: February 23, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »

Yeah, that video is very sexy. I went to greenlight to make sure I had voted yes. I had already but still clicked yes a few times just to be doubly sure. I too will be looking for you at GDC. Smiley

Thank you! See you at GDC Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: February 24, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »

Day 421
* added chance to hit indicator to ranged attacks.
* changed Knight's charge to go through multiple rocky obstacles without stopping, alllowing interesting puzzles (where he must charge to get somewhere)
* fixed bug with the Knight skill cancelling mid charge
* made camera not move after shooting an arrow (making it easier to shoot multiple times in a row on the same target).

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic