Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:09:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146679 times)
Jerom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: February 27, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »

Don't forget that ASDF or QWER is an awkward choice for the AZERTY (=french) keyboards, so I suggest to change the keymapping... please^^ ... or you could add an option to re-mapping some keys!

And about this sexy colorful logo: A>F>B>D>E

Edit:  Embarrassed oops.... Forget what i say about the key mapping!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:07:54 PM by Jerom » Logged

Uykered
« Reply #561 on: February 27, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »

Controls can be changed
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: February 27, 2013, 05:41:13 PM »

Don't forget that ASDF or QWER is an awkward choice for the AZERTY (=french) keyboards, so I suggest to change the keymapping... please^^ ... or you could add an option to re-mapping some keys!

And about this sexy colorful logo: A>F>B>D>E

Edit:  Embarrassed oops.... Forget what i say about the key mapping!

Yep! That's why I mentioned it only works for US keyboards, and the controls are fully remappable.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: February 27, 2013, 05:58:47 PM »

Okay latest version of the logo with changes based on everyone's feedback, what do you think?

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: February 27, 2013, 11:39:49 PM »

Final logo version:

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »

ruddy marvellous Hand Thumbs Up Right

My only nitpick is that although the flame from the torch looks great, it feels a bit off that its light isn't projected on to the letters. Even just a slight lighter overlay over the two Ds might feel a bit better I dunno.

Maybe something could be done in-game with lighting effects. Helm is going to animate the flame for in-game use as well. Thanks for the feedback.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: February 28, 2013, 01:29:36 AM »

Epic!
That is one marvelous logo type! Congratulations  Gentleman

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: February 28, 2013, 01:33:34 AM »

Epic!
That is one marvelous logo type! Congratulations  Gentleman

Thanks! I'm really happy with it too Smiley

Creo
Level 0

Dungeon Dasher

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 10, 2013, 12:26:11 AM »

I have purchased the game, played it through, and created a level using the editor.
I read through this forum and had a few quick ideas:

Tilesets:  River tilesets would be awesome, including tilesets for bridges to cross them.  I think rivers would open up more exploration-like atmosphere.

enemy AI: ranged units choose weakest party member OR highest threat party member to attack , and will group attack that party member if it will lead to a faster kill...conversely, if this is not possible, then shoot and hide.   similarly, melee units will attack the weakest party member if leads to a kill, and will attack to kill or attack and run dependent on what will lead to the least amount of return damage.  NOTE: since an enemy running away often will require that party members use up alloted action points to catch up, sometimes this will be a benefit to the enemy if the party member in question will have a less number of attacks available.  enemies should also take advantage of skill specific attacks like backstab, which might mean blinking behind you like the thief does...  Also, enemies may wish to consider spacing themselves out in order to better defend themselves as a group (avoid explosive shots, etc.)

Ranged Attacks:  Allow for shooting through enemies, but at a penalty to your to hit.  After all, an arrow is fairly slim and can fit through tight spaces.  This would allow for attempts at lobbing explosive shots into enemy groups.

Critical Hits:  Lots of blood on gibs, sure, but tons of blood on critical hits, and if there are bleeding units over time, then show that as well.

Lighting: I like the underground darkness. ... Makes torches contrast well and the atmosphere really is more spooky in the videos I see where there is darkness.  A dark tunnel that had no torches which was lit up as a fireball hurled along the walls...that would be awesome.

Level Editor:  Needs more assets like tilesets (like rivers) and monsters (the more the better).  Also, in order to adequately allow for user generated content, we must have a knowledge base of the appropriate skill levels and assets of the player characters, etc., Could a script be implemented as a graphical interface element which allowed to create general monster pathfinding routines, like guarding between points A to B, and so forth?  Also, is it possible to assign monsters a combat stance, like Aggressive or Passive?  Is it possible to assign the monsters the command to attack players on sight as opposed to the opening of a door?  That way monsters lurking in the back somewhere might not expose themselves too early, or might fall to a disadvantage as they could be taken by surprise, as it were.  I think it has been mentioned, but the tile for a dungeon entrance is not properly encoded or simply will not work for me.

Traps:  Traps like poison darts spitting from walls would be nice.  Also, traps ought to be able to be invisible, so that a player might simply walk over one and WHAM! spikes, darts, smashing walls, etc.  To counter this, the thief might have detect traps as a skill, which would enhance the RPG-tension.  I suppose the elf could have a skill for detect secret doors, if a special secret door entity could be created.  Disarm traps, too for the thief, which would ramp up his specialty.  Infrared for the elf for those really dark places... these are skills which seem to me to be essential in dungeon crawling goodness.

Pets:  Huh?  Pets are versatile, that could be interesting, too.

Wizard: Mind control? To take over a monster for a few turns so that you can turn it against its own... 

I also like the idea of not being able to see the dungeon walls that you have not explored yet.  There is so much more atmospheric goodness in not knowing what you are about to come up against, but when you can clearly see the walls that you have not yet explored, some of that magic and mystery is taken away...

Have you thought about allowing player characters to actually hold torches? 

Creo

PS:  Love the game! Thanks for making it!

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: March 10, 2013, 01:15:02 AM »

I have purchased the game, played it through, and created a level using the editor.
I read through this forum and had a few quick ideas:

Thank you for the great feedback.

Tilesets:  River tilesets would be awesome, including tilesets for bridges to cross them.  I think rivers would open up more exploration-like atmosphere.

I'd like to have some river tiles, I agree. I had planned them originally but haven't gotten around to making them. There are some lava tiles and bridges planned as well.

enemy AI: ranged units choose weakest party member OR highest threat party member to attack , and will group attack that party member if it will lead to a faster kill...conversely, if this is not possible, then shoot and hide.   similarly, melee units will attack the weakest party member if leads to a kill, and will attack to kill or attack and run dependent on what will lead to the least amount of return damage.  NOTE: since an enemy running away often will require that party members use up alloted action points to catch up, sometimes this will be a benefit to the enemy if the party member in question will have a less number of attacks available.  enemies should also take advantage of skill specific attacks like backstab, which might mean blinking behind you like the thief does...  Also, enemies may wish to consider spacing themselves out in order to better defend themselves as a group (avoid explosive shots, etc.)
All of the different enemies have different behaviours. Ranged enemy AI such as the goblin archers walk until you are in line-of-sight, take a shot and then run in the opposite direction from you to hide. Bats similarly "hit and run".

More powerful enemies will probably have some spell-like skills. The witches have an AP-reducing attack, and the lich kings can spawn skeletons (though they are not in the most recent build).

AI which "considers" the possible moves by the player and attempts to spread out to avoid explosive shots, etc. probably is not possible and I doubt that the player would notice this level of AI anyway (it would probably just look like random movement).

Ranged Attacks:  Allow for shooting through enemies, but at a penalty to your to hit.  After all, an arrow is fairly slim and can fit through tight spaces.  This would allow for attempts at lobbing explosive shots into enemy groups.
Not a bad idea but it might have a couple of problems. A good way to do it might be increased miss chance if you aim at an enemy who is blocked by another enemy. However this breaks the tactical element of positioning your own player characters to have the tank (Knight) infront to take damage. Some kind of "lobbing" attack like a bomb is a good idea which could go over enemies. I'll look into something like that.

Critical Hits:  Lots of blood on gibs, sure, but tons of blood on critical hits, and if there are bleeding units over time, then show that as well.
There might be more status effects like bleeding, burning, poisoned, etc. in the final build. More blood? Sure.

Lighting: I like the underground darkness. ... Makes torches contrast well and the atmosphere really is more spooky in the videos I see where there is darkness.  A dark tunnel that had no torches which was lit up as a fireball hurled along the walls...that would be awesome.
Good to hear you like the lighting effect. The fireball originally had lighting but I haven't put it back on... I don't think.

Level Editor:  Needs more assets like tilesets (like rivers) and monsters (the more the better).  Also, in order to adequately allow for user generated content, we must have a knowledge base of the appropriate skill levels and assets of the player characters, etc., Could a script be implemented as a graphical interface element which allowed to create general monster pathfinding routines, like guarding between points A to B, and so forth?  Also, is it possible to assign monsters a combat stance, like Aggressive or Passive?  Is it possible to assign the monsters the command to attack players on sight as opposed to the opening of a door?  That way monsters lurking in the back somewhere might not expose themselves too early, or might fall to a disadvantage as they could be taken by surprise, as it were.  I think it has been mentioned, but the tile for a dungeon entrance is not properly encoded or simply will not work for me.
I don't think you'll be able to know what skills, etc the players will have unless I made some kind of skill-restrictions for the levels. The heroes' core skills (the ones they start with) affect the world/traps. No future skills will do that... to the same extent at least... I don't think. I'll have to ponder on that.

As I mentioned before, enemy AI is tied to the type of enemy, so there isn't an agressive or Passive stance. For aggressive enemy AI, choose aggressive enemies like Orcs who attack until they're dead.

Additional pathfinding/AI routines/waypoints are not planned to be added. Though perhaps some type of "location" element might be, and the AI could be instructed to pathfind towards X/Y position.

I agree that there needs to be another way for enemies to appear when doors open. It's more exciting if enemies can appear behind the player or unexpectedly. This can be done with triggers at the moment, but there needs to be more options.

Entrance tiles are bugged in this version. Fixed in future versions.

Traps:  Traps like poison darts spitting from walls would be nice.  Also, traps ought to be able to be invisible, so that a player might simply walk over one and WHAM! spikes, darts, smashing walls, etc.  To counter this, the thief might have detect traps as a skill, which would enhance the RPG-tension.  I suppose the elf could have a skill for detect secret doors, if a special secret door entity could be created.  Disarm traps, too for the thief, which would ramp up his specialty.  Infrared for the elf for those really dark places... these are skills which seem to me to be essential in dungeon crawling goodness.
I have some new ideas for traps that I want to implement soon. Complete tile-blocking blocks that go up and down will be implemented, as well as triggers that must be stayed on to keep them active (think spikes that only stay down when a player is standing on a button and go up again when you stand off = teamwork/synergy).

Some kind of wall trap like darts is planned as well.

Disarming traps is a neat idea.

Pets:  Huh?  Pets are versatile, that could be interesting, too.
Cool idea but probably won't be implemented in version 1.0. There isn't really support for them in the current engine, though there is support for more than 4 playable characters at once.

Wizard: Mind control? To take over a monster for a few turns so that you can turn it against its own... 
Not a bad idea, but code-wise a little difficult... actually maybe not. I'll think about this, it sounds pretty bad-ass and would be a lot of fun.

I also like the idea of not being able to see the dungeon walls that you have not explored yet.  There is so much more atmospheric goodness in not knowing what you are about to come up against, but when you can clearly see the walls that you have not yet explored, some of that magic and mystery is taken away...
Might be worth exploring, you're right, it does sound fun. If I do implement a random dungeon generation mode in future builds then I'd definitely implement this.

Have you thought about allowing player characters to actually hold torches? 
No I haven't, and I probably won't implement that. It wouldn't really work art-wise. The players and enemies have ambient light on them at all times.

PS:  Love the game! Thanks for making it!

Thank you for the extremely detailed feedback and I'm glad you are enjoying it so far Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: March 10, 2013, 06:52:46 AM »

Day 435
* Added new chests (smaller chest graphic)
* Changed stone and stalagmite tiles to be more visible (graphical change)
* Fixed bug where nothing would happen if all players died (now shows defeat message)
* Fixed bug with blinking into obstacles (could blink into Knight obstacles)
* Implemented new music engine (again!)
* Made fast-forward fast forward more (can now skip "delays" in scripted sequences)
* Added new "play track" action to triggers (can force a track to play, e.g. battle music when you open a door)
* Various bug fixes

Stuff for this GDC build is coming along slowly but surely. Need to implement some more features and then get building some new levels. I'm going to build a new tutorial/first level which will be much smoother, and have better dialogue. I've got some new traps/puzzle elements which I think will add a lot of depth so I'm excited to add those.

Additionally today the game got featured quite heavily on Reddit which drove about 3,000+ visitors to the website: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/19ytj3/games_have_the_worst_puns/ So that was pretty cool.

Creo
Level 0

Dungeon Dasher

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 10, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »

I wanted to make the suggestion that the cave sections should be darker than they are now.  Even with dynamic lighting on, the dungeon caves do not seem "cave" enough, by the way of lighting.  I think they should be darker.  Darker would be better.

Also, if caves were made darker, would it be possible to make an overhang tile which allowed for light to come down from the ceiling, like a hole to the surface?  That way, you could extend a lighting aura in an area where there were no torches, and maybe the lighting effect could be different, more like natural light. 

Again though, I really think making the dungeons darker than they are now will work well for atmosphere.  You shouldn't be able to see everything in a cave unless there are torches or a light source, and right now when I play I can see everything.

Creo
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: March 10, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »

I'm still on the fence on this game (mainly because I'm not sure if my friends are willing to play it or not), so I watched a Let's Play video and I have to ask:

* Are you going to have line of sight and friendly fire in the final game? (Seems to be some great opportunities for hilarious deaths to be had there.)

* Should two characters really be able to occupy the same grid space without any penalties?

* The graphics are amazing, but there will be walking animations eventually, right? Smiley

There was a lot of very boring appearing kill-three-monsters-that-just-spawned levels in the Let's Play I saw, so that's a huge deterrent for me right now. Rogue-likes and dungeon crawlers are, imo, all about presenting the player with constant new and interesting challenges. But I guess this is the curse of the MMO generation that many things these days become a grind...

Either way, I'm keeping my eyes on this. It looks too good to not stay updated on it.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: March 15, 2013, 07:19:28 AM »

Sorry forgot to reply to this.

I'm still on the fence on this game (mainly because I'm not sure if my friends are willing to play it or not), so I watched a Let's Play video and I have to ask:

* Are you going to have line of sight and friendly fire in the final game? (Seems to be some great opportunities for hilarious deaths to be had there.)
Perhaps. A couple of people have mentioned it. I might try it out. But the targeting system is based on point to point rather than what the projectile hits along the way.

* Should two characters really be able to occupy the same grid space without any penalties?
Yes! Without this it just creates blocks at door openings etc. Players can't end their turn on the same tile as another character.

* The graphics are amazing, but there will be walking animations eventually, right? Smiley
Not planned at this stage, but perhaps.

There was a lot of very boring appearing kill-three-monsters-that-just-spawned levels in the Let's Play I saw, so that's a huge deterrent for me right now. Rogue-likes and dungeon crawlers are, imo, all about presenting the player with constant new and interesting challenges. But I guess this is the curse of the MMO generation that many things these days become a grind...

Either way, I'm keeping my eyes on this. It looks too good to not stay updated on it.
The levels aren't great at the moment. I'm currently putting a lot more work into design, puzzles, contraptions, etc. which should make the game much more interesting.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: March 15, 2013, 07:22:46 AM »

Day 440
* Partially implemented stone blocks which go up and down much like gates. However they take up a tile, block ranged attacks and can't be blinked through. (see screenshot)
* Wrote more story and dialogue (which I did a lot of yesterday but didn't post about). I think I've got a much better script for the opening levels which is more interesting and less cliche as well
* Designed a few new levels on paper
* Tweaked how textbox appears (fades in "nicer" and slower)

Testing out some elements with the new stone blocks.

deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 16, 2013, 02:35:26 AM »

heh if you have a new map editor shoot it my way and i'll see if i can break it or any mechanics again as always  My Word!
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: March 16, 2013, 03:01:10 AM »

heh if you have a new map editor shoot it my way and i'll see if i can break it or any mechanics again as always  My Word!

Lots of things are sure to break Tongue I'll have a new build out by the end of the week with more stuff. Oh god that's so soon.

GDC PANIC.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: March 16, 2013, 06:24:48 AM »

Day 441
* Finished implementing stone blocks
* Implemented multi-use teleports (don't deactivate after using them once)
* Fixed lightning for vertical doors
* Worked on gate lightning (but will probably postpone until later)
* Imported new tileset with larger floor pits and more lava

Next up is building some levels. I'm going to build the levels I've designed on paper tomorrow and see how they turn out.

Relatively boring screenshot of pits:

Creo
Level 0

Dungeon Dasher

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 16, 2013, 09:08:20 AM »

The multi-use teleports are a great idea, and the stone blocks look cool, and I'm really glad you brought in tilesets for the larger dark pits.  Those are all great ideas.  It looks like you have made very effective use of your time. 

Makes me think that a monster should be available which is able to use blink or teleport as an escape method, because that could take advantage of the pits in a cool visual way...

Will you make the STATS information available in your next build?

Looking forward to playing some more levels!

Creo
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: March 16, 2013, 05:59:15 PM »

The multi-use teleports are a great idea, and the stone blocks look cool, and I'm really glad you brought in tilesets for the larger dark pits.  Those are all great ideas.  It looks like you have made very effective use of your time. 

Makes me think that a monster should be available which is able to use blink or teleport as an escape method, because that could take advantage of the pits in a cool visual way...

Will you make the STATS information available in your next build?

Looking forward to playing some more levels!

Creo

Thanks!

Having an enemy which blinks is a really good idea. I'll keep that in mind. The bats are already flying so that they can go over pits but they're typically one or two shots to kill so they're not much of a challenge.

I'll aim to make stats available in the next build because I also want to have some items in there (which you find in chests in game).

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic