Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:26:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesSoundless Mountain II [NES] FIXED LINK! (OSX / PC)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Soundless Mountain II [NES] FIXED LINK! (OSX / PC)  (Read 228359 times)
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »

It's the mole man!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 11:00:50 AM »

Smooth, man. Only thing bugging me is how the outline disappears when the right foot is on the ground.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 11:10:15 AM »

You mean the bottom of his foot, or over to the right of the image?

Can you pixel Noyb?  Would you like a crack at the Patient Demon?  :D

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 12:22:55 PM »

I mean the bottom of his foot. Like, there's that dark green outline around the entire sprite, including the foot while it's raised, but that outline disappears when his foot is on the ground. Pretty minor, since the rest of the sprite looks awesome.

And I'm sadly awful at pixelling, as my constant whining for background art for my own game and this freaky set of sprites I'm using as placeholder art shows. And I, err, never played Silent Hill. Embarrassed *skulks away*

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 11:42:20 PM »

Hehe thanks anyway Noyb...  Smiley   Noted, but dunno if I'll have time to sort it.

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 10:10:22 AM »

Ooooh, Thou, Superflat ! I praise Thy talent for this Amazing Demake !

Both platform choice and execution are brilliant, and the infamous "mirror introductory sequence" is astoundingly adapted !

No matter how far you'll manage to go with this ... I love it !

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 10:46:48 AM »

Great music from the mighty C418 is in the works.  Have heard his rendition of a certain theme and I can't wait to have it ingame!

So I have Jake walking about and I've come up with a nifty platform system for the slopes (descending Soundless Mountain) - and they can also be used to hold destination points from rooms, making map editing much easier.  Will also be able to add cutscenes to platforms - that's next on the agenda.  Also put in scanlines!

I've also got made this quick mockup / rough sketch to see a possible way to do the fog - I kept the pixel dither, but cheated and used some alpha blending (was too confusing otherwise.)  Is this too much of a cheat?  Any other ideas for ways to do fog?

EDIT: Thanks astrofra - I personally want it made to experience the great story in miniature!  I love SH2 so much and I can only hope to capture a tiny bit of its magic.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:54:33 AM by superflat » Logged

drakfyre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 10:52:29 AM »

Well, you could always try every-other-frame flicker.  That's how a lot of older games do transparency, like the Sonic games for the force field power ups.  I am not sure how it would look on a large area, and you have to be running the framerate at least 30fps for it to not look awful.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 10:56:06 AM »

Yeah I thought about that, and I reckon it would hurt if it was almost fullscreen - it was mostly used for shield / powerup type things really, can't think of a game offhand that used it fullscreen...

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 12:29:19 PM »

Don't forget that NES game backgrounds are tiled!

I'm looking forward to this game!

Yuka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »

The thing about the sprite's foot is probably not a problem since you won't be able to see any outline anyways when he is standing on something.

And I think early pixel artists did shortcuts like that to save memory (or colors maybe) anyway.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 04:24:40 PM »

Yeah I read that they did it to get an extra line of pixels on the face.

Here's my first actual in-game shot - it's come out looking very close to the mockup:

I've also got the camera moving around on rails to add focus on areas of interest and tension by not giving you much room to see (like the real game!)

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2008, 03:51:17 AM »

Here's a title screen:

medieval
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2008, 04:09:31 AM »

Superflat, I want your babies
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2008, 04:29:38 AM »

This is starting to look a bit much like Splatterhouse  :D
Lorc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2008, 05:16:30 AM »

Sorry if I'm being presumptuous, but you did say you wanted someone to animate the patient demon for you.

Idle cycle
Walk cycle (I was trying for a shuffling gait, that's why he's dragging one leg).
Spritesheet

Not terribly good I'm afraid, but maybe you could use them as placeholders.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2008, 06:27:46 AM »

Settled on the fog-style now (although I will weak it a bit more - might bound it to single pixel boundries, for example.)  I know it's not possible on a NES, but I love it.

Of my god - just noticed you Demon, Lorc, I think it's excellent!  It's going in!  One small thing is on the idle cycle of SH2 they poke their elbows out making flesh wings.  Few pixels change will do it.

I still need the falling-down-from-being-hit anim, the getting-back-up anim, the crawl anim (scuttley, like it's swimming) and the acid attack anim.  If you have any more time, any of those would be amazing.

Thankyou so much!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 01:22:17 PM by superflat » Logged

Lorc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2008, 08:52:24 AM »

That should be idling, spitting, falling over, scuttling, getting up and walking.  What a lively little fellow he is.

Spritesheet:
http://i37.tinypic.com/116j9zo.gif

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z98r3q  This is a .psd file, with each frame of animation on a different layer.  You might find this more useful than the sprite sheet because all the frames are in the correct position relative to each other.

In case it's not obvious, the spitting animation is intended to be frames 1-4 and then 3-1.  And the final frame of the falling animation (fall4) should double as the corpse.

I hope that's useful to you.

EDIT - spritesheet gif had some repeated frames - replaced with fixed version.  Animations .psd had everything correct though.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:29:56 AM by Lorc » Logged
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2008, 09:31:42 AM »

Lorc, I dunno what to say...  You're my hero!  You got so much life into that tiny sprite.  Beer!

I can't wait to get it in there. Now just need mannequins and good ol' triangle head.

I can send you a build if you're on a Mac... PM me.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »

Here's how it's looking ingame.  Fog is tidier I think.  Not long till I put the Patients in now,

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic