Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:11:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg Demakes [FINISHED]The Black And White Plane
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED]The Black And White Plane  (Read 25072 times)
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2008, 02:54:21 AM »

The Black And White Plane

I am demaking Ikaruga to an Atari-ish thing. I'm not being super adhesive to the Atari hardware, but it should look alright. I doubt it will win, but it's always good to enter.

So far, I have player movement, player firing, player colour change and most boring enemy handling and scoring code done.

Still have to add lives, continues, and the charge missile. And some levels, but at this state is should be easy to add new enemy types and a timeline for the levels.

Edit:I have demade Ikaruga to an Atari-ish thing. It is not being even vaguely adhesive to the Atari hardware, but it looks like it is. It is done! Never did go with the charge missile, but the rest is there.

I doubt it will win, but it's always good to enter.

Download is here!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:35:29 PM by PenguinSeph » Logged
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:56:34 AM »

I hope it'll have zillions of bullets! Smiley

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 04:08:31 AM »

I hope it has flickering.
ImaginaryThomas
Level 1

Reor, Creo, Incito

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 06:01:15 AM »

Haha, awesome name.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 07:15:07 AM »

AFAIK early atari hardware didn't flicker. Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »

Flicker wasn't a function of the hardware but had to be done manually in the code as a workaround for drawing too many sprites at once.   Earliest documented example is the 2600 port of Joust.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
PenguinHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 12:05:33 PM »

Flicker wasn't a function of the hardware but had to be done manually in the code as a workaround for drawing too many sprites at once.   Earliest documented example is the 2600 port of Joust.
While we are on the topic, how many sprites could the 2600 support? Does anyone know?
december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:31:58 PM »

While we are on the topic, how many sprites could the 2600 support? Does anyone know?
3 per scanline.  If they aren't all moving then possibly more.  5 one pixel missile sprites

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:37:06 PM »

The Atari is ridiculously limited. I seriously doubt you'll be able to demake Ikaruga with its limitations in mind. It also has some weird limitations and coding rules

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:33:03 PM »

Haha, awesome name.
Black and White Plain Game.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
PenguinHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »

The Atari is ridiculously limited. I seriously doubt you'll be able to demake Ikaruga with its limitations in mind. It also has some weird limitations and coding rules
I've just checked, and I have to agree.

I know I should have checked before I excitedly opened up GM like an eager puppy and started, but still. I could always just forget the limits and keep making it as is (which doesn't really seem in spirit of the compo), or quickly change it to a NES demake or something.

You would think that I would have learned at some point not to do stupid things like that.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »

You could pretend that you are developing on a special Atari console that has less limits. You know, bootleg your own console as well as game.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »

there are a shitton of weird consoles that bootleg parts of other consoles together, its not much of a stretch to think this might be for one of them.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 12:35:25 AM »

You could pretend that you are developing on a special Atari console that has less limits. You know, bootleg your own console as well as game.

yeah - just say the game cart has some extra ram in it and a superfx chip variant thingu  Wink

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 01:20:44 AM »

It is a one-chip Atari but it does have extra chips. For magic tricks.
PenguinHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 04:41:07 AM »

yeah - just say the game cart has some extra ram in it and a superfx chip variant thingu  Wink
Even that would be stretching it.

Unless I build in a 1/3 chance of the "console" bursting into flames or something.

Edit:In fact, that could be interesting. If the action gets too intense, the temperatures of the console gets higher. If it gets too high, the console bursts into flames, causing an instant game over. So the player has to manage both the game and the heat of the console. It could be a trainwreck, but even if it is, it will be glorious.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:54:11 AM by PenguinSeph » Logged
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 05:30:25 AM »

Interesting idea, it'd put a lot more emphasis on the bullet-eating to keep the console from melting.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 07:06:57 AM »

Most of the entries won't be that strict anyways.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
PenguinHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »

Most of the entries won't be that strict anyways.
I hope not, because I'm pretty much done, and it's not even vaguely using sprite limits. I'm not sure that it's still technically a demake at all anymore, but whatever. Even if I get disqualified, as least I made something.

After a quick prototype, I decided not to go with the overheating console idea. It was near impossible for the player to control it.

I'm going for a loop system, where it's basically a loop of all the most memorable bits from the first 3 levels of Ikaruga, and when you get to the end, it loops, but faster. If I have time, I'll add bits from the rest of Ikaruga as well.

Also, have some screenshots:

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »

Ok, this looks seriously cool.

Is it super hard?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic