Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:22:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 476744 times)
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »

Now we have a website! Check it out and download the latest version there!
http://ganggarrison.com

Version 1.0 download:
http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~smaxein/GangGarrison2.zip

Old Update!

Since the release of version 1.0 there has been a lot of interest in continuing development in this game, by the creators as well as by our growing fan base. MedO has done a few updates, and (after a bit of drama) we have added some new members to our development team, who have contributed some updates as well. The latest versions include new maps, a functional spy, more balanced gameplay, and mostly stable networking code.

Also, a big thanks to Zephro and Vaati for the updated versions,
and another big thanks to HELLTRIKKY and Stefan, and all the others contributing maps and art to this game.

This game is technically open-source at this point, so that those who are interesting in contributing will be able to do so. We just hope that if you want to work on the game, you'll stop by and say hi and discuss your plans with us here. We really only want one person releasing new versions at a time so that things can stay coordinated and organized, but if you think you want to have a go, just let us know and we can figure something out.

One last quick thing, if you are having trouble playing the latest versions (because they are buggy), don't be afraid to try version 1.0. It is the most stable version, thing's haven't changed THAT much, and there are still plenty of people playing it (I hope).

Controls:
N - Change Team
M- Change Class
WASD - movement
Mouse - aim
LMB - Fire
RMB - alt-Fire
LShift - view score/players

Credits
Code  -  MedO
Art   -  mrfredman
Sound -  Synnah

Video:

Screenshots:

--First Post--
Yes, it's another Team Fortress remake.
Yes, I know someone is already working on that, but thanks to sick panda, we were working blind there for a few days.
Yes, ours is totally gonna be better.
Thanks for asking.

Myself and MedO are working on a TF2 bootleg demake as well!
Sadly, I don't have any pretty art to sell it with right this second, but you just wait, it will come, and you will be amazed!

Our goal is to get some actual internet multiplayer going and provide a super-fantastic online realm catered for those who want to work together and blow away their opponents in a 2d fashion.

More to come soon! just let me finish getting some artwork together...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:33:16 PM by mrfredman » Logged
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »

Alrighty, first update! I've got all the sprites together so have a look!

Besides the fact that the demoman looks a bit petite, I think that they are pretty good to go!

I think we're going to be shooting for a slightly more detailed look then our buddies over at Buddy Base II, but overall, they may end up looking somewhat similar. I'm just hoping that we will manage to have more expansive gameplay, which should set them apart.
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:18:01 PM »

*fist shake*

Still, looking good. Sprites are more on-model than mine (though many more colors too). Also, I have no internet multiplayer Sad

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »

groovey sprites - but where are the turrets?  Grin

Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »

This is looking pretty spiff.  If you have online, i might just have to make some babies. 

WIth you if you didn't know.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 08:04:27 AM »

While I am always down to make babies, internet multiplayer rests upon Medo's shoulders, hes our programming man, I'm just doing the art.
So when the time comes aim your baby-makers at him!
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »

I do believe that its time to give this thread a bump with some updates!

We have been making good progress in our quest for online multiplayer goodness, and while it is nowhere near ready for public viewing, we just held our first successful multiplayer test the other day! We still haven't quite figured out aiming or shooting, but we're making progress and that's what counts.

On the art/content front, there is also much to share. First of all, my first attempt at a background is done, and it looks pretty snazzy. I call it 2Dfort:

Its like seven times bigger in the actual game, but I figured I'd be a tease. I still have to fill in the background of the background, which makes me groan, but we've got the gamespace sorta worked out so we can start implementing all sorts of gameplay goodies.

I've also been working on all sorts of sprite animations, mostly boring ones for now; running, carrying the intel, etc. but once I get some fun death sprites together, I'll be sure to share them!
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »

Will it have mouse Aim, or is it fully retro?
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 12:23:31 AM »

Honestly, not sure yet. I think we're gonna try for mouse aim (or else how are we gonna do snipers?) but it may wind up being totally retro, or else with three directions of aiming (up, straight ahead, and down).

We're bending a few rules when it comes to retro/demake standards, seeing as no systems of yesteryear really had internet multiplayer, but we'll see what happens.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 12:31:09 AM »

You could have a system in which pressing up moves the aiming crosshair up and down moves it downwards.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »

You could have a system in which pressing up moves the aiming crosshair up and down moves it downwards.
Yeah, like Stick Soldiers.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 04:42:00 AM »

I'm currently working with Soldat-style mouse aim, but using the keyboard to aim to give it a more retro feel could be implemented quite easily. We'll probably try both and end up using what's more fun.
medieval
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 04:45:33 AM »

For extra retro-ness, you should make people buy some weird extra adapter in order to play online.
BeamSplashX
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 02:43:25 PM »

Require a SEGANet account to play.
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 10:50:16 AM »

Ha, nice work!  i lov tha art so far,. just not sure if there will be enough movement options in the 2d map,. need to have a couple ways around and out of the spawns, .  good luck with this,.  also looks like it would make a decent 2d tower defence type game actualy,. all the different units,. and the spawn rooms asthe castles,. would be very diferent gameplay,. but may work if you can't get the 2d mouse shooter stuff to be any fun,. .
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:08:58 PM by jph wacheski » Logged

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »

I'm very sure there will be a 2d shooter game, it would be a waste of a lot of work not to release that, since it's already half done. It's pretty quiet in this thread, but we're working on this game every day and we're making good progress.

Networking is pretty much done, apart from tweaks I might implement after some real-world testing, and we're working on the different weapons now. You'll get a demo soon.
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 10:34:36 PM »

Man, this is spiff.  Although, it does need more options as far as getting out of the base goes.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 11:07:50 PM »

OK, lots off stuff to say. So, as Medo says, we are making lots of progress, I think we've got the sprite animation mostly done, and things are starting to come together nicely. The one big project that remains for me is finishing up the background of the background, but since I'm seeing some criticism on the layout it would be a great time for me to take another crack at that.

People are saying that the spawn needs more exits, and that there need to be more ways of getting around the base. Looking at it now, I agree that its super simple, but I'm trying to make a map based on 2fort, which is a pretty simple map; either you go up to the top and snipe, charge across the bridge, or head for the sewers, there isn't much variation. I want to make the base more complicated and fun to play in, but I do want to try and keep it on three simple floors. I was thinking of maybe just adding some more open rooms and space to play around in between the different areas. Or maybe I could have tunnels connecting the spawn to different places. Maybe just more stairs going different places. I'm not sure.

I'm totally open to any ideas people have about level design. Please speak up and give me advice! Keeping in mind that it should roughly be a 2d equivalent of the TF2 2fort map, how should this level look?

Ok, on to a new subject.

So, at this point we have the core of this game together, but as the deadline starts to loom on the horizon, we're starting to realize that this game is crying out for polish. I mean nothing super fancy,  but some necessary basics. First off we have NO SOUND. We hadn't really thought about that in planning stage, but as this game comes together its absence is starting to become apparent.

So does anyone want to help us with the sound for this game?
We'll take anything you've got in the realm of sound effects and music. I'm not sure what we'll do if we don't get any help... maybe just find some generic old fashion stuff floating around on the web. Anyways: Help us!

I was also thinking that we could use some pretty menus. I had an idea, but I'm not sure if I will have time to actually do it, so I will throw it out to the forums just to see what happens.
I was thinking it would be awesome to have that badass menu image from the actual game:
done in pixel art. Wouldn't that look super cool? Maybe if I have time and everything else is done I'll try and take a stab at it, but if someone out there wants to contribute it would be super awesome as well.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 02:42:46 AM »

So does anyone want to help us with the sound for this game?
We'll take anything you've got in the realm of sound effects and music. I'm not sure what we'll do if we don't get any help... maybe just find some generic old fashion stuff floating around on the web. Anyways: Help us!

If all else fails, you could use sfxr.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 10:23:09 AM »

Luckily, I believe we have found someone to do our sound (thanks Synnah!), so I don't think we'll be needing any help in that area.

But if people still want to give me level design advice I'd be very greatfull! And I'd be even more greatfull if someone would take a stab at the menu art?

What say you TIGForums? Will you rise to the challenge?!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic