Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:14:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 476743 times)
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 12:08:27 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are proud to announce the first Demo of our original and groundbreaking game, Gang Garrison 2. You can get it here: www.uni-koblenz.de/~smaxein/gg2demo.zip

There is still a lot to do, but we wanted to give you a feel of how the game will play. Instructions:

When you start the game, select "host" to try it for yourself, or "join" if you want to join a game someone else is hosting. Refrain from shooting before all players have joined, since that can desynchronize the newly joined clients (will be fixed soon).

To change your team, press "n". To change your class, press "m". Run around with WASD controls, aim with the mouse, use left mouse button to shoot and right mouse button to explode your mines when playing as the Detonator class. See the current stats (kills/deaths) with shift. The player names are currently fixed since we still lack an options menu.

You can already take the enemy intelligence and captures are recorded, but not displayed yet.

Make sure the your setup is able to run the game at 30fps (that causes around 10% CPU use my 2 years old Laptop), otherwise you will build up lag until you drown in unread packets. This is not a happy death, so try to prevent it. Report all bugs and suggestions here, or PM me or mrfredman.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 02:29:50 PM »

I played against myself. It's pretty cool but:
-I would use 39.dll or something, 'cuz multiplayer right now would take too much effort to set up.
-Spy and engie are useless (I guess you know this)

Also, are you planning on adding the secondary weapons for the classes? Maybe the melee weapons?
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »

I've just had a quick play around, and I've found a bug! With the Soldier, if you fire rockets directly downwards from standing, they will travel through the ground. You can fire through vertical walls in the same way. I guess the rocket is being created slightly in front of the tip of the launcher, so when you're pointing straight down, it's created underneath the collision line. Can the collision area be extended? Or, since this is meant to be a bootleg, does anyone actually care? Bugs like this were an integral part of old games!

Also, yes, I'll be working on the sound and music for this project. Hello!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 03:08:07 PM »

A few points:

We are aware Spy and Engineer are useless, we have plans for them which we hope will be completed in time, at the very least, we will give them some proper guns.

I don't really know the technical details of the multiplayer, but I am pretty sure we are using a 39.dll, cause I kept getting errors about it when we were playtesting, but MedO is really the one who knows about that.

We never had plans for secondary weapons, except for the Engineer who we hope will be able to shoot as well as build sentries. We considered melee weapons, but due to time restrictions they probably aren't gonna happen, there's still a chance... but its very slim.

And the shooting through walls bug should be fixed in time for the release, we're aware of it and its probably something that will go away very soon.

There should be a decent amount of bugs and weird happenings in the final version but we're trying to get rid of stuff that would mess up online gameplay, because we want that part to work decently.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 11:48:59 AM »

I'm gonna update this because I've decided the thread needs a bump, and because there are a bunch of updates on our game!

While, I don't think we are gonna release anything before we're done, the extra week to work has certainly given us a lot of time to add a few more layers of polish. Synnah just put together an AWESOME chiptunes rendition of Team Fortress 2 theme, maybe if you ask nicely he'll post it, and I think he's hard at work on another song for us.

And MedO is still hard at work getting all of our networking bugs sorted out. I think he's putting together the menus too... what a guy.

I'm doing some extra artwork to pretty up the game, but for the most part I'm twiddling my thumbs and being excited to release the final product! This game has turned out better than I expected, and I'm really looking forward to sharing it and actually getting to play with a bunch of people!
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 05:34:34 AM »

Well, nobody asked, but here it is anyway!

Chiptunes are a lot of fun to work on. There's something about the combinations of basic square and triangle synths that just works together, so I don't have to spend ages tweaking knobs and sliders to get them to sound right.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 05:54:59 AM »

Boy am I glad I asked for that. Yay!
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 07:34:36 AM »

That is excellent!
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »

We're working on an innovative new feature never seen in any other game before, that will allow players to find running games easily! We're not quite sure what we'll call it yet, but it's really cool... like if all the games were in a big lobby or something!

In other news, there's still a lot of work to do in improving the actual game, so this will be a pretty stressful weekend. But fun, too. So yay!
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »

2D shooter aiming system I thought of a while back, might be inspiration?   Gentleman

Button1: Enemy target select.
Button2: Target select, fire.
Button3: Friendly target select (For Medics and Spy Hunting  Cool )

Hit button1+2 OR crouch, to reset your target selection (or Button1+Button3?)

Works like such:
Face a direction.
Press Button1.
See a floating crosshair fling out in the direction you face, locking onto the first enemy it spots.
Press Button1 to cycle to the NEXT enemy, AKA the one behind them.
Press Button2 to select a target and begin AIMING.

Whilst aiming, good sirs, ye do not mash Button2. Oh no.
Your elegant Aim bar fills from the left to the right, with accuracy!
If the bar is below half, you will miss completely1 (no mashing!)
If you press Button2 JUST AS the meter fills, ye do extra damage
(erm, not sure it it should be 300% critical.. just more damage.

Advantages: Timing-skill in aiming! Replaces those stupid 3D mouselook!
Advantages: Skilled players do skillful damage with excellent timing! Voila!
Advantages: Two target selection buttons means you can control who you're trying to kill at any time!
Advantages: See bullets fly to an enemy from your teamate, then target the enemy yourself!

(PS as you can tell I took the time to write this.. TF2 demake sounds fricken awesome, no I haven't seen Buddy Base)

(MY BAD. I didn't see the game was complete, I just rushed ahead with a suggestion.. downloading and playing now  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed)

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 12:29:03 AM »

Thanks anyway for the suggestion, it does sound interesting, though it would be more suited to a slower paced game I think.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 03:15:51 PM »

The game is FINISHED!

...well, to be honest, I didn't get around to finishing the Engie and the Spy, which will be corrected in later releases after the compo is over, but the game is otherwise totally playable. Enjoy! Get your copy at http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~smaxein/GangGarrison2.zip!

We should try to organize a few "events" so that more people will be playing at once.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »

I propose a first big round of GG2 this saturday evening. I can host if noone else dares, but if I do it will probably lag.

On the issue of hosting, there's a problem for people who would try to host a server 24/7 at the moment, because every running Server will magically vanish from the lobby at 3am-4am GMT, since that's the time when we get a new IP from our ISP every day (I'm hosting the Lobby Server from home). I'll make a fix available tomorrow. Also, I'll make the Lobby Server only list games that can actually be reached.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 02:35:13 PM »

This looks really interesting Smiley Unfortunately there weren't any games available when I tried to play just there... Will try again tomorrow.

mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »

That's always the drawback of a multiplayer indie release. It's really hard to find someone to play with. I'm away from a PC for a day or two, so I can't be too helpful, but starting thursday I'll try and keep a server running as much as I can, I probably won't be watching the game, so just shoot a few times and be patient, and I'll come running to mess around with you!

Also on Thursday or Friday, I'm heading over to Chronic Logic (I've got a sweet internship there) and we're gonna try and have a 3 vs 3 match, but if more people want to join us it would be awesome, I'll post more details on that as soon as I figure it out. I really want to do everything I can to enable people to play our game.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 12:13:03 PM »

News in short:
- Lobby now only shows internet-reachable servers
- Fix released for permanent (or at least long-running) servers

News in long:
The Lobby will now silently reject any server that is unreachable from the intarnets, since trying to connect to them only leads to a long frustrating wait for the people haplessly clicking on them. So if you don't see your server appear on the Lobby, you probably didn't open/forward the appropriate port on your firewall/router.

You only need to open/forward one TCP port (8190 by default, but you can change that in the options). UDP is not used at all for client/server communication. For hosting on your local network, just connect manually.

If you think you set up everything correctly but still don't see your Server on the Lobby, please report it here or PM me and I'll look into it.

Also, there is now a fix for the issue I mentioned in the last post. The Game will now look up the Lobby Server's IP every 10 minutes to ensure it stays in the Lobby when the Lobby Server's IP changes (which happens once a day). The new version is otherwise completely the same and fully compatible to the old one. You can get it at http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~smaxein/gg2_Lobbyfix.zip
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 12:36:24 PM »

My server is up and running for the day. I'm off playing Spore, but if you join the server and shoot a bunch, I'll hear the sound and come running. I can try and maintain it 24/7 but I won't necessarily be there all the time.
Renton
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »

I just played this with someone (probably mrfredman since it was his server), it was fun, needless to say, it needs more cowbell people. 1-on-1 was nice, I did win 2 rounds, but the game will only reach it's full potential in an at least  6-on-6 game.

We should arrange a big game sometime.

Anyway, GG mate!  Beer!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:42:11 PM by Renton » Logged
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »

We are totally gonna be playing this on one of those online game nights that tigsource has now and then.

This would be such a great game if more polished. It's a nice variation to soldat.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »

Tales from an afternoon of server hosting:

I ran the server for about 5 hours this afternoon, and got maybe 15 people playing, never more than one at a time, but for a few hours there, someone new would drop in every 15 minutes or so. Some people stuck around for a while and played with me, I had a nice long game with Renton, and another two games or so of equal length. Probably about a third of the people who visited didn't last long. They'd run around and shoot for a bit, then I'd come over, jump around, and then kill them, yet instead of continuing to play, they'd just leave. I guess their character's death was just too traumatic for them.

After playing a lot today, I have a whole list of small fixes and tweaks that need to be made to make gameplay better. For example, the sniper is quite overpowered, and the pyro underpowered, I'm not quite sure how to fix it, maybe give the pyro more health, or make the sniper rifle harder to aim. I know MedO is also busy messing around with networking code, getting everything to run more smoothly. We are hesitant to keep updating the game though, because the deadline is already passed.

I mean as real multiplayer games go, we have just barely entered the beta phase, now come the long months of play testing and tweaking. I had an idea, but I'm not sure it's ok, and I don't want to break and competition rules are ruin our standing or anything. I thought that maybe on our first post we could have two links, one to the version submitted before the deadline and one to the most up to date version. The problem there is that people would be playing the up-to-date version (because that's where all the multiplayer action would be (plus it would have sentry guns!)) but that would give us an unfair advantage of another month to work on our game.

Other competitors, higher ups (thats you Derek and Melly), forum voters, what say you? What should we do? Can we keep working and just maintain a copy of our pre-deadline game? Or must we sit on our hands and not touch it for a whole month until this contest is over?

Oh, also, I'm done sitting in front of my computer for the day, I'll leave the server running, but I'm AFK.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:29:28 PM by mrfredman » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic