Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:25:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 476874 times)
Vaati
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »

I don't really know exactly how the hitboxes work, but sometimes you get major problems if your sprite is facing in another direction and you try to climb the stairs. I dunno, maybe you could make it so for collision detection's sake the sprite could be treated as a simply rectangle, but for bullet detection each separate pixel could be counted? Don't mind me here, maybe I'm just talking out of my ass

but the thing with the stairs....Christ people, it's hard enough to navigate even one set of stairs with the lagging and collision detection, but did you really have to make the 2fort_2 so stairs-unfriendly? I have to basically jump up around EVERYWHERE there to get around. Otherwise, it was a good map, save for some spawn problems
helltikky's map is pretty big, but also not bad. There are some annoying pixels which you simply have to jump over, ruins the experience a bit, but oh well

Alot of these problems are due to the fact that when the maps were imported/made that the collision boundaries were rushed in. It also doesn't help that all you have to make these boundaries are a vertical and horizontal stick plus two square sizes larger than one black pixel.

If anything though, If the hit collision boundaries can be fixed or if the unofficial dev or MedO have the patience to prtect each and every edge to make the black boundaries exactly then it wouldn't get "stuck" as much (I assume it's getting stuck because of gaps in the stairs and walls, this is why demo bombs might fly through some flights of stairs)
derp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2008, 03:12:25 PM »

Oh and one other thing that is extremely annoying: can you change it so that you can cap the intel even when your is out of your base? Because as it is now, both sides will get their respective intel and then just camp around in their spawn with it and nobody will ever cap
andykd7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2008, 04:02:12 PM »

I found a really annoying bug from spawn the demo can aim their stickies to hit the intersection of the bulletproof spawn protection wall and the floor the bomb drops straight down and lands on the box. The demo never even has to leave the spawn and its not very fun trying to get by it.

Gang Garrison is Awesome
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2008, 04:08:20 PM »

Are this bugs caused by bad hitboxes or Game Maker itself?
andykd7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2008, 04:12:48 PM »

I have no idea at first i had no idea what was going on but the sticky bombs are just flying through the air and all of a sudden make a sharp turn when the hit the intersection and fall down.

Gang Garrison is Awesome
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2008, 04:40:01 PM »

That sharp turn is a mistake in my programming. They were suppose to just sharply bounce away from the spawn area...but it is true, I was in a bit of a rush since I had work to do.

I will fix all the stairs, hitboxes etc....but it will have to wait until tonight (I am on lunch break).

MedO, Thanks for the info about how this will all get released when it's done. GPL sounds perfect for this, and I believe it will be very popular when all fixed up Smiley

Again, I apologise for how I joined in on this...and I only hope for good things to come from here on  Wink

I really shouldn't have released my edit until tonight  Tired

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
Rawrl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 16, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »

Another thing we desperately need, besides a solution to spawncamping,  is a way to kick assholes who sit AFK in the spawn room, eating up server slots. All but two people on the red team on Vidya West Helltrikky are just sitting there.

Perhaps an AFK timer, after which you're auto-kicked?
andykd7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 16, 2008, 06:35:27 PM »

Another thing we desperately need, besides a solution to spawncamping,  is a way to kick assholes who sit AFK in the spawn room, eating up server slots. All but two people on the red team on Vidya West Helltrikky are just sitting there.

Perhaps an AFK timer, after which you're auto-kicked?

Yea that would be great and now more @*#holes are using the demoman thing and wow it is very annoying

Gang Garrison is Awesome
Rawrl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »

Yea that would be great and now more @*#holes are using the demoman thing and wow it is very annoying

Which demoman thing? The one where the glitched spawn barrier sends your bombs through the floor, in a perfect position to blow the shit out of someone stealing the intel?

'cause... that was me Embarrassed.
Or the one where demomen use their stickies to blow AFK assholes out of the spawn room, 'cause that's me too.

On the plus side, Helltrikky is an excellent map for bomb/rocket jumping.
Grimmy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »

It's a good game but After the Faucet Logo it crashes for me, but it works on my laptop,

Laptop: Windows Vista Ultimate
PC: Windows Vista Ultimate

I really want to play this on my pc
Raytheon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2008, 11:03:09 PM »

It's gonna really suck when it is released open source, as there will be so many stupid releases at once and the community will be split and there will be hardly anyone playing on a single version.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2008, 11:37:39 PM »

It's gonna really suck when it is released open source, as there will be so many stupid releases at once and the community will be split and there will be hardly anyone playing on a single version.
It shouldn't be like that, though. There have been any number of group collaborations here on the boards (Indie Brawl, for example), proving that everything can be coordinated with just a little communication. What's become obvious from the unofficial mods so far, both of which were released with no consultation with MedO, is that people are happy to just throw something out there and say 'Look what I done', and that kind of thing will lead to version chaos. For this to work, people are going to have to work as a team. First thing that should probably be done is a new thread should be created in the Art & Design forum, as this one is becoming a little bloated.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2008, 11:39:08 PM »

Alot of these problems are due to the fact that when the maps were imported/made that the collision boundaries were rushed in. It also doesn't help that all you have to make these boundaries are a vertical and horizontal stick plus two square sizes larger than one black pixel.

If you need different shapes for obstacles, just create new objects with "Obstacle" as parent. I thought that was pretty straightforward.
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 17, 2008, 12:18:18 AM »

Latest version link plz.. /v/tard version or otherwise.
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 17, 2008, 12:24:04 AM »

If you need different shapes for obstacles, just create new objects with "Obstacle" as parent. I thought that was pretty straightforward.

I am also confused by that lol. I added a smaller collision shape for my usage, so this person must not actually have the source. Adding custom collisions works fine Tongue
I was actually going to just use a mask of the level image, for collisions...but I was worried it might cause major lag.

Quote from: Raytheon

This will not be the case, because everyone will be able to host their own lobby.
I am really looking forward to that actually  Smiley

Oh btw Med0, I shall just fix the problems that people encountered with my release, and then I will PM you the source  Wink
 Gentleman

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2008, 12:25:43 AM »

Latest version link plz.. /v/tard version or otherwise.

It's on page 20  Smiley

OmegaK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 17, 2008, 06:47:11 AM »

I made this in my spare time, its a bit rushed because I don't really know all the canvas and spacing things. Its based off of turbine and I call it CTF_Warehouse.

Thanks to Vaati to most of the palette. Note, this is a WIP so tell me what needs improving too.

(Intel goes in the bottom corner rooms)

Anybody? :[
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 17, 2008, 06:53:53 AM »

Ok guys! I have fixed the stuff in 2dfort2 (hopefully) and there is some new changes to b13!

Here is b13b:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7tvlxzxzt12

Soldier now has better jump, speed and faster reload.

Quote's rocket launcher is no longer better than Soldiers.

You can now use the Medical Cabinets in the spawn rooms.

Mines will dissolve when you try to stick them to spawn gates.

Medic has a gun now  Grin

Stairs fixed, and IP addresses are no longer mixed with server names.
And mines are now behaving as they should be.

Note: this still uses protocol 13...as it was just a fix for my mistakes in b13.
You will have to update to this, otherwise the first release of b13 will have problems.

Game on!  Beer!

Oh btw MedO, I shall now upload the source for you...and PM it  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:00:16 AM by zephro » Logged

IDTL
Level 0

Woo.

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 17, 2008, 07:01:45 AM »

Heck yeah, thanks man. Grin
I'm loving your updates.
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 17, 2008, 07:29:26 AM »

Heck yeah, thanks man. Grin
I'm loving your updates.

You're welcome  Grin

Here are the ideas I have bundled up for future updates, decided by both myself as well as other /v/ posters:

Chat (can choose when making a server, whether to have it enabled or not)
Quote to shoot HEADCRABS, that attack both teams (maybe, not sure yet..this idea is cool but pretty full-on just for one class lol).

sentries
backstab
uber-charge

MEDIC + symbol near player by pressing E

Decent spectator mode (not till network issues fixed).

Note: These are just ideas, the only ones I have set in concrete so far are the obvious needed things: sentries, backstab and uber-charge.
The call for medic I think is not really needed, since we can use the medical cabinets now.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic