Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:33:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 476746 times)
Renton
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 11:48:49 PM »

I don't think sniper is overpowered, I just think the map is too flat. It's way too easy to shoot anyone even without seeing them. The hit power is fine considering the reload time. Evil

However, Pyro really does need more power. The flames don't go anywhere and it's incredibly hard to kill anyone with it.

I might be able to make some maps if you have an editor or anything, or just draw one and send you guys to do the wall collision stuff. Gentleman
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 02:10:48 AM »

It's probably fine for you to update the game post-deadline. It's usually not a problem Smiley

MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 04:00:14 AM »

If you'd like to draw a new map, that would be really neat. I can add the wall collision stuff if you just send me an image of the map, it's not that much work.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 06:24:58 AM »

It's probably fine for you to update the game post-deadline. It's usually not a problem Smiley

I'm interested in this whole issue too because I want to add online highscores to my entry sooner or later. Can I just do this? Do I have to keep a link to the original compo version around?
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 11:40:09 AM »

There have always been post-deadline-pre-endofcompo updates. Just do it Tongue

And, uh, can I try my hand at drawing a map too? Tongue

Renton
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »

Let's just make one big map pack!
(I'm making one right now and they seem to be thrilled about it, so go ahead Smiley )
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »

If you like, shoot away! For including a second map I already have to make some changes to the game, so that you can select which map to host, or even change the current map in-game. Including another map in the game isn't that much work in comparison.

Actually, that'd be a great idea for the next compo. Just do a very basic game and invite everyone to do levels, that way you have little work to do yourself and everyone will like it anyway, because everyone made a small piece of it. :D
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2008, 02:21:05 PM »

Actually, that'd be a great idea for the next compo. Just do a very basic game and invite everyone to do levels, that way you have little work to do yourself and everyone will like it anyway, because everyone made a small piece of it. :D

This I like Smiley
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »

In about an hour or so I'm heading over to the Chronic Logic office to see if I can coerce them into a big match of Gang Garrison II. I've been told that the entire intern workforce so in, so there should be a decent sized game.

If you are interested in joining us, you are more than welcome, just keep an eye on the Gang Garrison server's for the next few hours. Realistically, I expect it to happen around 1:00 - 1:30 PST, but who knows.

I hope to see some of you there!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »

I'm ready to play, any time. Grin

Renton
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »

Bring it on.

By the way, I found a huge exploit.
The black scottish cyclops can put 4 bombs under him, rocket jump and launch himself outta the map and still live. With 3 bombs I can fly from the bridge to the top of the enemy base. From there you can just bomb the ground and never get hit. I suggest either implementing falling damage or nerfing rocket jump with bombs (!?).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:33:49 PM by Renton » Logged
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »

So I'm back, and I apologize that we never got a public game going. It seems that their wireless was firewalled and we lacked the admin power to turn it off. We did manage to get a match up and running over the network and played a nice long 2vs2 match. It was a lot of fun and I got some cool screenshots that I'm gonna update the first post with.

We came up with a few criticisms, and there is a whole list of things that I'd like to change if it were possible.

1) Implement sentries and in-game chat.
2) Fix the stairs down to the sewer on the blue side. The gap is too large and heavies and sniper's can't jump over it.
3) Make pyro's flame do twice as much damage
4) Make it so when you carry the intel, you slow down a little, because its way too hard to catch someone carrying the intel unless you are waiting in front of them.
5) Lower the distance heavy bullets shoot slightly. he is completely impossible to get anywhere near with a pyro demo or scout, I feel like they should be able to get close enough to get off a shot or two before they get mowed down.
6) Make it so the healing closet in the respawn heals you

I think that's all, but its all up to MedO, because doing any of this means him giving up his time, not me. So for the most part, I'm just running my mouth/fingers.

Playing a slightly larger match really made me crave an even bigger match. I want to try 3vs3 so bad. In a 2vs2 match its all about sticking together to survive, but with more than 2 things go nuts! Anyway I've got my server back up and running, and I hope youll come play with me. Also, if you want to help me get a big match together, turn off the in-game music and just let it run in the background until more people join, so we can have a big match tonight!

I hope lots of you will come play, and stick around to wait for more people if you get bored, instead of leaving.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:10:39 PM by mrfredman » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »

I've been waiting to play for a long time, so yeah. Anyone wanna host a game now?

Renton
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2008, 03:17:11 PM »

I'm lagging like hell. Connection's been shite lately.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2008, 03:24:43 PM »

Yeah I got pretty hefty lag too. Like, press a button and it happens five seconds later-lag.

mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »

Yea, sorry about that, while I can host, I forgot I have a really shitty internet connection. I'll be somewhere with a better one tommorow, and I should be able to host a good fast server through the weekend, and I hope you'll play then.

But if someone wants to host a server for tonight, I'll definitely stick around and play.

Oh, also; about the demoman exploit, we are aware of that and you can do it with the soldier and his rockets too. There are a few weird places that you can blow yourself into. I actually kind of like it, I mean if it went away, I wouldn't be too upset, but it kind of gives it a good bootleggy feel and doesn't really get in the way of gameplay or anything.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2008, 04:15:20 PM »

I'll look after your points when I start working on the next release. All but the first point are relatively small fixes, but ingame chat and sentry building are still on the original ToDo-List anyway Smiley

Also, when I get the time, the networking will get a major overhaul to reduce the jerkiness, and maybe even add some prediction to reduce the apparent lag.

Concerning the Demoman exploit, that was somewhat on purpose actually, I even added walls on the far left and right so that you can't easily escape from the actual level when you rocketjump up there. I can wall it up if it's a problem.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »

I just remembered something else that would be a big improvement to the game; crouching. The soldier's rocket launcher is deadly, but it would be a lot less deadly if you could crouch to avoid it.

MedO, if I do the sprites would you be down to implement that?
Renton
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:48 PM »

Concerning the Demoman exploit, that was somewhat on purpose actually, I even added walls on the far left and right so that you can't easily escape from the actual level when you rocketjump up there. I can wall it up if it's a problem.

If it was intentional, it's okay. I like using the exploit, myself. Crouch would be an awesome addition, tho.

That map I promised might be a little longer to finish, but it's coming.
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2008, 06:35:20 AM »

If you'd like to draw a new map, that would be really neat. I can add the wall collision stuff if you just send me an image of the map, it's not that much work.

I could do something like that... How big should each pixel be? (In the 2dfort map, each px looks like 3x3, but I want to make sure)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic