Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:08:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesSmaze [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Smaze [FINISHED]  (Read 37866 times)
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 08:52:46 AM »

One of the "highlights" of Haze was the random hallucinations you had due to the use of everyone's favorite power-up/drug nectar. One of the more memorable hallucinations was seeing dead corpses from previous massacres. Of course Smaze has to also include this effect. But when you're working late at night, sometimes you like to have a little fun. Typically when this happens you'll see a dozen or so corpses litter your screen. But what about...

250 corpses?

Or 500 corpses?
Josh R
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 11:24:30 AM »

Or 500 corpses?
Brilliant!

This looks great, I hope you finish it.

Film/TV/Game Composer
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 08:12:20 PM »

A-SMAZE-ING NEW BUILD

This is our last demo before the end of the competition and our resulting final entry.  We swear.  But!  This has been way, way, way improved since last time.  I'd go so far as to say this is the first time we're demonstrating the game proper, and not a tech demo that proves we were simply making progress.  New features include:

- Negative Drug effects! Finally!
- Driving Section!
- Music!
- The ability to die!
- At minimum, 3 minutes of gameplay in this demo!  That's six times the last one!
- Civilians, multiple enemy types individually colored for your convenience, and a doggie who can walk backwards!

Major Milestones left to accomplish before Sunday night (Or Saturday night?  When we say the compo ends on the 31st, does that mean 12:00 AM Sunday or 12:00 AM Monday?):

1.  More levels.  More of the village, a bit more jungle, and the ubiquitous Lava Factory (tm).  The content is all there, it just needs to be put to use.
2.  Boss battles.  This is a big one.  Again, content exists but implementation does not.
3.  A few more Venom side effects.  The ones we have now are far too Eternal Darknessey and not ludic enough.  We also need more elaborate varieties of them.
4.  Credits, tutorial, and options screens.
5.  Finish up the civilian mechanics.  There needs to be more of them, and they need to impact your overdose when you kill them or diminish your overdose when you "rescue" them.  As it is they wander around until you kill them.

Speaking of overdose, I suppose now that the negative drug effects are in I need to mention the mechanic.  See that meter with an "O" underneath it on the far left? Whenever you use any of the four drugs, your OD meter will go up  After the effects of the drug have worn off, the OD meter will start to decrease.  Every time it decreases past a notch on the meter, a bad effect will happen - so watch out!  Also, remember that the "Q" button throws grenades!  Playtesting has shown a lot of people get frustrated with enemies behind cover until they realize they can job an explosive over to get them.

All of that said, I hope you guys try this out and let us know what sucks/needs to be improved upon to make this one of the best TIGCompo entries we can.
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 02:10:02 AM »

Tiny bit of feedback from the previous alpha: Please can you telegraph the grenades' blast radii? And possibly make the enemy grenades' blast radius smaller than the players?

Enjoying it.

Any support for 360 pad by any chance? I'm thinking you should use YXBA for IJKL so that you don't imply that it's a 360 shooter.

Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 10:42:10 PM »

Smaze will be released either very late tonight or very early tomorrow. An extra week has given us more time to include some very special things like:

The death of a child

A pixelated cast featuring villagers, shadowy corporate figures, and a soldier with a bullet in his head.

The requisite lava/fire factory as required by 1980/90s videogame law.

These stunning features and much more await in the final release of Smaze.
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 08:06:44 PM »

We're done!  The download can be found here:

http://gamedrinkcode.com/dev/smaze/SmazeFinal.zip

Let us know if you have any issues!  Just to reiterate, the controls are as follows:

WASD: Movement
IJKL: Shoot
SPACE:    Throw grenade.  Useful for enemies in cover!
Q: Heal.  You get more health!
U: Upper.  Your speed increases, and your damage done increases!  Unfortunately your firing rate significantly decreases.
O: Downer.  Your movement rate decreases, but your firing rate and damage done increase!
E: Perception.  Find those hidden venom flowers and civillians to help maximize your efficiency!

Beware, drug use can have negative consequences! Let us know what you think!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 05:02:59 AM by ChrisFranklin » Logged
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 02:43:18 AM »

I managed to get halfway through 1-2, minimized it, and it crashed heh. It's good though aside from that.
wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 02:56:01 AM »

nice game, i have a bug too. when the screen pushes you on halfwat though the first level i got suck between to stonesand couldnt move.

but good game all round pad suppoert would be great, unless i missed it?
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 05:41:17 AM »

Unfortunately no, no gamepad support.  I believe Torque supports the input, but I don't own one myself for testing purposes.

And that's a damned shame about the rocks; I'll look in to fixing that as soon as I get home.  It obviously won't be the build that gets entered in the compo, which kinda sucks, but at least there will be a more playable/less broken version for people to enjoy?

The minimizing bug is annoying, but doesn't surprise me.  I should pause the game whenever it's not the active window, but that's at least another evening's worth of coding and testing.  The game's only about 10-15 minutes long all told, though, so for the moment I'm just going to say "Play through the whole game in one sitting!" until I can get a fixed version out that doesn't freak out if you minimize it.  Which is a shitty answer, but with the compo functionally over I'm probably only going to do another build or two to finish working out the remaining bugs.

Did either of you even get to the first boss?  Sad
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 07:41:17 AM »

I got to the [spoiler] second Jeep boss [/spoiler], but I ran out of cheese bullets to shoot it with, and I was in the middle of work and everyone was looking at me funny, so I had to stop.

I enjoyed it overall, but I still think I would have preferred my alternate key bind suggestions... or dual analogue as people were saying. Plus, I think I would have made more, but weaker enemies? Quite frustrating having to put so many bullets in people.

And the bosses could have done with less health, since once you get their patterns, it can get a bit close to grind?

I say all this without having played Haze, so I don't know if these are intentional jokes.

I liked how the vision hid civvies from you... evil domineering corporation, indeed! I liked the kickback effects of the drugs, but it took a while getting used to using them in the midst of battle. Again, if this were on dual analogue, the jewel buttons would be perfect for administering the different kinds.

ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »

Ah, I totally forgot to re-bind the grenade key.  I'll do that in my new build tonight as well.

If there's honestly enough interest I could pick up a game pad and bind the controls.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:39:38 AM by ChrisFranklin » Logged
JP
Level 0

vordhosbn brezhoneg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 09:35:26 PM »

Hey guys, good job with this.

Agree with Bezzy's comments about weaker, more numerous enemies.  One-shot fodder dudes are the cornerstone of good Ikari Warriors / Total Carnage style gameplay.

I should have thought of this earlier, but some feedback on your dude for being under the effects of the different drugs would be helpful.  I'm thinking like a single pixel colored outline, different color for the different effect, flashes when you're about to run out.

Something about the glitchiness of the side effects works awesomely with the lo-fi 8-bitness.  Your engine probably isn't rigidly tile-based so it would be tough, but I love the idea of actually scrambling around graphic tiles like a dusty old NES cartridge.  That Square-Enix horror game, Nameless Game seems to use the injection of glitch into an innocuous little SNES-era RPG as a horror device.

So really what I'm suggesting is, add a drug overdose to end of the last level where everything goes completely cyrillic and it boots into an Atari 800 interactive fiction parser with some endless loop of deep, haunting vignette about the emptiness of action in the face of entropy.
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 09:26:34 AM »

The scrambling 8-bit tile suggestion is so great it makes me angry that we didn't actually do that. We were trying to avoid going to far though into the Eternal Darkness "screw with your head" meta-effects, but that would have been great.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »

This is excellent Smiley I felt it was a bit slow at the start, but once I got into the hang of using the different abilities I really got into it. Nice work! Grin

PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 05:10:47 AM »

'Smazing!  Grin

"Fun is rule."
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 11:39:22 AM »

Some cool stuff for cool people only (actually everyone's invited).

I created a small promo site for Smaze which now includes a Mac OS X-compatible version of the game. Along with those cool things, we also posted the OSV for the game by Jayson Napolitano, so you can grab over 5 minutes of chiptunes glory here.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 10:59:28 PM »

Congrats, this was Bytejacker's #1 pick in their latest episode!
http://www.bytejacker.com/episodes/008
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 07:16:43 AM »

Congrats, this was Bytejacker's #1 pick in their latest episode!
http://www.bytejacker.com/episodes/008

Oh wow, that's pretty sweet. To be placed above great titles like Little Girl in Underland and Soundless Mountain is a pretty rarefied air.
zusty
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2008, 05:03:47 PM »

You guys rule so much that I signed up so that I could leave you this message.
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »

You guys rule so much that I signed up so that I could leave you this message.

To be fair, a great deal of credit goes to you as well!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic