Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:42:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesSmaze [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Smaze [FINISHED]  (Read 37983 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »

Hmm, weird... when I start the game the first thing I see is garbley graphics like when you need to blow on your Nintendo cartridge, but then the logo screens come up and everything seems fine... until I start the game.

Right off the bat I'm stuck behind this black box:

I can't move anywhere except in that little patch of clear space in between the black box and the edge of the hud (can't even walk downward from there).  Actually I start underneath the hud, I had to walk out from under it just to see my player.

Strange.  It might be something funky with my computer though, this isn't my usual gaming computer.  I'll try again later.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 10:56:38 PM »

Hmm, weird... when I start the game the first thing I see is garbley graphics like when you need to blow on your Nintendo cartridge, but then the logo screens come up and everything seems fine... until I start the game.

Right off the bat I'm stuck behind this black box:

I can't move anywhere except in that little patch of clear space in between the black box and the edge of the hud (can't even walk downward from there).  Actually I start underneath the hud, I had to walk out from under it just to see my player.

Strange.  It might be something funky with my computer though, this isn't my usual gaming computer.  I'll try again later.

Woah, that ain't right. Are you running on Mac or PC? Either way, try grabbing the latest version at our site and see if any of that helps. This is running of Torque so compatibility should be alright for the most part.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 11:24:49 PM »

Hey guys t... Big congrats on the top spot over at bytejacker!  Will sit down and give it a good play this weekend!

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »

Woah, that ain't right. Are you running on Mac or PC? Either way, try grabbing the latest version at our site and see if any of that helps. This is running of Torque so compatibility should be alright for the most part.

It was PC.

Anyway, I tried it on my usual computer and everything worked pretty smoothly.  Awesome game, by the way.  So far this is the most "complete" feeling game I've played in this compo.  It's pretty damn slick, I can see why the bytejacker guys praised it so highly.

And if you're worried about the bugginess from before I can find out the specs on that crappy computer and let you know what they are, if that'll help any.

tweet tweet @j_younger
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2008, 05:36:01 AM »

It was PC.

Anyway, I tried it on my usual computer and everything worked pretty smoothly.  Awesome game, by the way.  So far this is the most "complete" feeling game I've played in this compo.  It's pretty damn slick, I can see why the bytejacker guys praised it so highly.

And if you're worried about the bugginess from before I can find out the specs on that crappy computer and let you know what they are, if that'll help any.

That'd be great!  I'd appreciate it, even if I can't fix it it'd be nice to know what hardware configurations could potentially break stuff for future reference.

And if I can't figure out how to fix it, uh, it was a feature to replicate a buggy NES game!  WTF
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »

That'd be great!  I'd appreciate it, even if I can't fix it it'd be nice to know what hardware configurations could potentially break stuff for future reference.

And if I can't figure out how to fix it, uh, it was a feature to replicate a buggy NES game!  WTF

WinXP SP2, Celeron 1.7GHz, 384MB Ram, Intel 82845G onboard graphics Tongue

Basically I just use this computer for browsing.

Edit:
Welp, I updated the graphics drivers on the ol' Celery Slicer here and Smaze runs just fine now.  Problem solved Smiley
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:52:37 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »

Final Mac OSX version is available for Smaze. Download it here. Thanks again to everyone for playing the game!
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 02:26:51 PM »

I've just had me a nice bit of Smaze and I really liked it.  The level design was great and reminded me of Commando. Loved the control system, music and character portraits. 

If anything my only small gripe was not being able to see clearly when I was getting hit.  I enjoyed doing close-quarters combat but couldn't ever tell if the baddies were getting off their bullets.  Some kind of red flash to indicate being hit would be great!

jkd
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »

Fun game. I have three suggestions, which I think would dramatically improve the game:

1. Make the normal enemies die in one hit.
2. Make the black background flash that excellent pink colour from the health bar when you get hit.
3. Make the controls configurable, and support joysticks. (My keyboard doesn't let me fire and move in certain combinations, and I'm sure this problem is widespread.)
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2008, 06:15:45 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion guys! One thing we had hoped to include was built-in controller support, but we didn't want to mess with the fragile build at that point. If you're having problems with the keyboard please tell us so we can fix it!

As a short-term solution you can try using xpadder to map the key controls to a 360 controller. Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic