Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:38:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubTIGS Game Club: Legend Of Zelda
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: Legend Of Zelda  (Read 26983 times)
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »

What is this:  In this thread we all play a game for 2 weeks and discuss it in this thread, at the end of the 2 weeks we pick a new game and start all over again.

For Chatting go to:
#TGN at esper.net

Current Title: Legend of Zelda
Time Frame: until april 1

You can get the legend of zelda...
http://www.zeldaclassic.com/ for mac or pc
or emulated here...
http://nestopia.sourceforge.net/ for mac or pc
or on the wii virtual console
or even for gba here...
http://www.pocketnes.org/

The instruction manual is kinda helpful (with maps to get to dungeon 1 and 2) and can be found here: http://zs.ffshrine.org/legend-of-zelda/english-instruction-manual-scans.php

Also this is the original map that came with the game:
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/997/zeldamap1.jpg

Good luck everyone!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:16:56 AM by dustin » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:43:58 AM »

Split into its own thread, because it really deserves it.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »

Fuck it. It's not on my backlog, but I'd love to reexplore the game, since it's intrinsic to the design of my current project.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »

Split into its own thread, because it really deserves it.

OK, thanks Dragonmaw.
Fuck it. It's not on my backlog, but I'd love to reexplore the game, since it's intrinsic to the design of my current project.

Do it  Lips Sealed

As far as zelda goes I just beat level 2 (although i haven't found level 1 yet).  At first I thought the game was impossible but a couple of things helped.
1.  If your not slashing your shield protects against projectiles
2.  Your money and dungeon progress are saved at death, just not your position so you still have to trek back to the dungeon.

Anyone know what good the shop items are? I'm starting to accumulate some money...
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »

I've found the only way for me to play this game is on the NES. Everything else just feels...I dunno, not right. I might just take this as an excuse to go back and try to finish it.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »

Anyone know what good the shop items are? I'm starting to accumulate some money...

#1: Blue Candle. This will burn bushes for you to find more cash and goodies, so I'd consider this a forefront item.

#2: Magic Shield. This will protect you from fireballs that you can't normally block, as well as heavy projectiles like Lynel's swords. Not really necessary for Levels 1-3, but very handy thereafter.

#3: Water of Life. The red option is always the good option. But if it's a choice between this and a Heart Container...

#4: Arrows. You'll get the bow early on, and while it's necessary later, it can be handy when you're high on cash, but low on life and grinding for health.

#5: Blue Ring. Good luck.

#6: Enemy Bait. You'll only need one later on, to get past a certain obstacle, but might as well knock it out.

Don't even worry about buying bombs. There's ways of grinding those. Unless you've chosen not to take the sword, maybe...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:30:08 AM by baconman » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »

Ooh, I'm gonna do this - I want to play it on GBA, though!
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »

Helpful Hint #1: When you reach the first dungeon, there is a slight bug that you can take advantage of. Enter the dungeon, and you will notice that the door toward the north is locked. Immediately leave the dungeon. Now enter the dungeon again. The door to the north is now unlocked, without you having to use a key. This provides you with an extra key.

Helpful Hint #2: There are numerous bomb-able walls in the first and second dungeons. It's actually possible to pass through most of those dungeons while using very few keys, thanks to these bomb-able walls. Pick up some bombs from blue octoroks or moblins before entering either of these dungeons, and you will have plenty of extra keys for later dungeons.
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »

Just restarted this the other day after reading that epic Zelda article ( http://tevisthompson.com/saving-zelda/ ). Haven't played all the way through it since late 2003 (and probably 1990 before that), and I have almost no recollection of where anything is anymore.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »

I've played for 15 minutes. I already have 5 Heart Containers, the White Sword, Bombs, Blue Candle, Red Water of Life, and about 200 rupees to spare. I haven't even entered a dungeon yet, and I'm about to buy arrows.

kukukupo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »

I would love to participate, but this is one of those games I played like 400 times in the 80's.  I can still remember where almost everything is.  My participation would last for like 1 1/2 hours.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 11:06:35 AM »

I would love to participate, but this is one of those games I played like 400 times in the 80's.  I can still remember where almost everything is.  My participation would last for like 1 1/2 hours.

That's what I'm doing.

Progress:

Whooped L1, now have boomerang and bow. I used a couple of bomb-entries to hoard two extra keys by bypassing the entire western half of the level. Aquamentus goes down in 3 hits, btw.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:11:14 AM by baconman » Logged

Ashkin
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »

Cool, I'll start playing later today.
Don't forget to drop in and visit at #TGN in EsperNet.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 11:10:21 AM »

can we play it even if we already played it and it was not in our backlog?

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »

That's what I'm doing. (again)

Cheesy Level 3 goes down second, I use a total of one key while gaining two from it, and now I have the raft. I know of the treasure room by the North half, but I don't need it, I'm doing good on cash, and I'm one or two secrets from scoring the Blue Ring.

EDIT: Blue Ring attained. Restored my cash with a 100 rp secret in the brown woods. L4 speedwhooped. I know that level so well I don't even need to use the candle in it. Gleeok puts up a fight, but at this level it always will - there's no way you'll get the requirements needed for the Magical Sword.

Speaking of, I'm about to make a trip around Hyrule to score those and the Power Bracelet, before taking out L's 2 and 5.

Ironically, there's absolutely no difference/reason to have the Magical Sword before entering Level 2. But I'm doing it just because I can.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:13:40 AM by baconman » Logged

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »

I went ahead and fired up the copy I have on my 3DS. I had just beaten dungeon 4 when I left off, and now I've knocked down dungeon 5. I have ten heart containers, 13 extra keys, and I can rock 12 bombs at a time now. I have the blue ring and white sword as well, but I always pick those up early. Unfortunately, you can't snag the magic sword until you're sporting 12 heart containers, so I'm going to have to find a few more before I can claim that prize.

The darknuts in dungeon 5 are as hard as they ever were. Be careful, be patient, and make sure they don't push you into a corner.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »

That's what I'm doing. (again)

Cheesy Level 3 goes down second, I use a total of one key while gaining two from it, and now I have the raft. I know of the treasure room by the North half, but I don't need it, I'm doing good on cash, and I'm one or two secrets from scoring the Blue Ring.

fastest way through the game for speedruns is actually to start at level 3, then go to 4, then 5, and then with the whistle you can warp around quickly, and the ladder makes getting through dungeons faster. i think i may try that method this time

you also need to get the bomb before level 3, though, for the boss of it (you can get it from blue octorocks most often), so it's a little dependent on luck

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »

I've almost beaten level 1 (my second dungeon) now.  I was pretty suprised when it switched to side scrolling style for getting the bow.

It's cool you can play the dungeons in so many different orders.

I also hadn't realized how much secret stuff there was just laying around the overworld map.  After this dungeon I'm going to go exploring more.  For fun i printed out the map that came with the game and am filling in the blank squares/check boxes by hand Smiley
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:21 AM »

Slight miscalculation on the Magical Sword, I whoop L6 to compensate. Couple close calls costs me my Water of Life (doggoned Blue Wizzrobes and that one Gleeok), but after I recover that, it's back across the continent to take out the remaining levels. May even start with 5.

I shortcut across, get the enemy bait while I'm at it, buy some new Water, and stomp through L2 effortlessly. My net in keys so far is +4; turns out I took a one-key loss in L6. Whoop.

SUPER SPOILER:
I go straight through the level, diverting only to the room with the Magic Boomerang, which is the only door to the side not locked.

L5 goes down without too much trouble, aside the two rooms with Blue Darknut crowds. Those take me one more Water. Down to the final trio, now. A little low on my dough, so on my way back I may detour to get my bomb upgrade, but I can get one of those in 7 anyways. Now, straight to eight. Get these Darknuts offa mine!

RE-EDIT: Busting through L8, I score the Master Key - already at a new +4 keys. However, doubling back to the passage to get through it, I run out of waters and bombs, and got entangled by the blasted Blues. DEATHCOUNT: 1.

Angry I AM SO DISAPPOINT. Angry

To set back up, I walk outside and stab ONE MOBLIN. It drops bombs. FML!

Also, I'd saved up just enough for that bomb upgrade, too...
Facepalm

Okay. So now, I'm through Level Ate. OMFG, that level design in brilliant... but I effing HATE being on the receiving end of it!!

Hand Shake Right Angry Hand Shake Left

That room that killed me before? Ended up going through that, without the bombs. Idiot!! So then naturally, I'm bounding back and forth to farm for you-know-what. I end up reencountering that room full of Blues and fireballs. THREE. FUCKING. TIMES. "!". Before I get them and get to the end of it.

What's tragic here is that I've probably spent as much time on this one dungeon as I have on half the entire rest of the game combined. >.> So much for superpro. Still, deathcount remains at 1, guess I can be glad for that...

It was fun kicking Aquamentus' butt in two hits. L7 down, obviously. Thinking of saying "screw the bomb upgrades," since I'm still hovering around 60 rupees, with a full Triforce.

Edited for spoiler-consciousness.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:07:05 AM by baconman » Logged

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »

In the original Legend of Zelda, there are a few "gates" that limit access to forward progression. These are few and far between, but they do exist. The raft that can be found in Dungeon 3 is one of them. You cannot reach the 4th Dungeon without it. The ladder that is found in the 4th Dungeon is also a major gate. Most of the dungeons after 4 require that you have the ladder to traverse them. (they contain rooms that can only be crossed with the ladder) The whistle (Dungeon 5) is a much lesser gate, but it is still an impediment. Specifically, you MUST have the whistle in order to get into the 7th Dungeon. Technically, the enemy bait is a gate, but I generally don't count it as it can be easily obtained from shops. You need the enemy bait to get past a specific room in Dungeon 7. The final "gate" item is the magic key in Dungeon 8. The final dungeon, Death Mountain, is designed in such a way that the magic key is almost required. (you could theoretically buy all the keys you need, but that would require epic levels of grinding)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic