Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:09:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubTIGS Game Club: Legend Of Zelda
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: Legend Of Zelda  (Read 27252 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 01:26:50 PM »

i just thought of something: if you could somehow "rush" the lion key in dungeon 8, which would be pretty hard but not impossible, you then could go quickly through most of the rest of the dungeons of the game, since you wouldn't need to collect keys anymore

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »

DM dropped my deathcount to 2, which is still a bit more disappointing, but quest 1's a done run. That's good for today. I got knocked by a Bubble INTO a LikeLike, and failed to switch items to something that could break me free from it quickly enough. Grunting through some Blue Wizzrobes ripened me up for an unfortunate Patra spawn location, and that was that. Second run did it, though.

Paul: If you know your routes in the dungeons, keys aren't an issue anyways. XD I was at +6 keys when I got to the Master Key. Now, on the Second Quest... hurr - IIRC...

...either you have to collect a key out of dungeon order, or purchase at least one to successfully complete the game. It's a good thing it allows you to do so, huh?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »

keys aren't a problem but i was thinking in terms of a speedrun: most of the time to get the few keys that you do need you need to kill every enemy in a room, which takes time. if you get the "A" key first you can shave that time off a bit

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »

Ah man I just played through this game the whole way through for the first time a couple of months ago- should have waited so I could join the club.

From playing it the whole way through on the original NES cartridge, I can definitely say that the most difficult part of this game is blowing on it just right to get it to run properly. Maybe we should all go over proper dust blowing techniques for those of us who are beginners, as well as those of us who are experts yet still may need to brush up on our skills a bit. It never hurts to practice the fundamentals.

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »

TIME TO MAKE THIS A PARTY!!

Alright everyone, time to throw my hat into the ring. I'm gon' be playing me some Zelda 1, one of the greatest Jehovah's Witnesses simulators I've played to date. Oh and it's a neat adventure game too.

And yes, I'm using the FDS version because it has the fly audio that makes me feel like I'm rollin' in with style. It's like putting pleather pants on an OST and it's great. (as consolation, i do have the original version on virtual console though...but i wanna see what changes were made when they shipped it here)

Aside from the FDS thing though, it's just gonna be a vanilla run. No goin' swordless-style or speed-style, no minimal or 100%, and I'll probably be dying tons trying to trek halfway across the map with no supplies in search of items that may not even exist.

And with that, guys, I'm off! Wish me luck!

kukukupo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »

Ah man I just played through this game the whole way through for the first time a couple of months ago- should have waited so I could join the club.

From playing it the whole way through on the original NES cartridge, I can definitely say that the most difficult part of this game is blowing on it just right to get it to run properly. Maybe we should all go over proper dust blowing techniques for those of us who are beginners, as well as those of us who are experts yet still may need to brush up on our skills a bit. It never hurts to practice the fundamentals.

If you get some q-tips and some rubbing alcohol you can clean the edge of the cart.  If you open the NES and clean the edges where the cart goes in, you shouldn't need to blow on the carts much anymore.  Be sure to give it 10-15 minutes to dry, though!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »

^ I'd love to hear about any differences you encounter from the original formula, too. How much better is it's OST? Oh, never mind. I'll just have to Tube it and hear for myself...

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »

You should have played in "KILL MODE"!

Is anyone participating who has not played or beaten the original Zelda before? That's what I want to see.

I might play this a bit on the weekend, but I've beaten this way too many times to make it worthwhile. I'll probably drop in the IRC for a bit, though.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »

Maybe we should all go over proper dust blowing techniques for those of us who are beginners, as well as those of us who are experts yet still may need to brush up on our skills a bit.

The correct dust-blowing technique is to purchase a replacement pin adapter and drop that into your original NES. The pins on the original NES were made from an inferior metal that would lose its tension over time. That is what caused the infamous connection problems. These days you can purchase a replacement pin comb that is made from a better metal that doesn't lose its grip.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »

Is anyone participating who has not played or beaten the original Zelda before? That's what I want to see.

I haven't played the original zelda (well I played 1 level of it maybe) and I thought from the sound of it lots of others hadn't either but I seem to be the only one playing for the first time in this thread :/ .  Oh well!

edit:WTF is up with the level 1 hint, there are no peninsula's when your fighitng the boss.  I was all ready to be fighting in a water type area but it's a dragon that shoots fire.  How does that clue make any sense.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:47:05 PM by dustin » Logged
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 04:48:35 PM »

Even if you are the only one, you are the most important one since it was your idea!
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »

so far i've beaten the first two dungeons. the hints make no sense whatsoever, but it hasn't been that hard to figure out what to do. also, fuck those fish dudes

edit: everybody who's already played it should put a warning thing or something cuz i don't really wanna read about 200 speedruns, kinda spoils a lot of stuff
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:18:53 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Theophilus
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 05:21:18 PM »

ME

i am very much enjoying this one over the others. the fact that i can do anything i want to is absolutely awesome.

Finished the first (?) dungeon. This is mad fun yo.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:35:13 PM by thatshelby » Logged
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »

Me...I'm also having a really hard time at it. Mostly the lack of direction. And once I find a dungeon, I get stuck in a loop of perpetually dying. And playing on an actual NES without savestates kind of sucks. Sad
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 05:38:46 PM »

yeah you can tell it's the first since it says level-1 at the top left. Or at least that's what I've been going off of.

I'm making good progress on dungeon 3.  I hate the stupid knight dudes though, but at least the old guys hint makes sense this time (although it's not really a hint about the dungeon).  

Some of the difficulty of this game is coming from my xbox360 controllers d-pad.  That thing is freaking annoying.

edit:
I've been playing on an emulator but with no save states, what about the lack of savestates don't you like? 

As for direction I'm using the map that came with the nes game and it's helping me a lot, some people might view it as cheating I guess but since it came packaged with the game I don't...  I linked to it in the original post if you want it.
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »

what about the lack of savestates don't you like?

I absolutely hate being forced to redo things I've already done. To be fair, LoZ at least lets you continue at the entrance to the dungeon and is pretty fair, so it's not that bad. But I can't save at the entrance of a dungeon and pick up later.

I also have no idea which dungeons I've completed as I'm playing off an older save that finished, I think,  levels 1-3. I wish there was an item that pointed me in the direction of the nearest incomplete dungeon.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »

yeah, i'm playing with that map too. it's pretty helpful.

you should just start a new save, the first few dungeons aren't very hard at all.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 05:59:56 PM »

also, fuck those fish dudes
seriously they are the worst.  When I ran into a screen with one while I was on full health I killed it with my thrown swords just to spite it.

To be fair, LoZ at least lets you continue at the entrance to the dungeon and is pretty fair, so it's not that bad. But I can't save at the entrance of a dungeon and pick up later.

Yeah it's weird that when you continue you start at the entrance but when you save and start again you start at the start.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »

yeah, i'm playing with that map too. it's pretty helpful.

you should just start a new save, the first few dungeons aren't very hard at all.

you liar you said you weren't using any guides

the way people are playing about zelda1 and complaining about its lack of direction and lack of savestates i'm pretty sure that means videogames are doomed

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 06:02:53 PM »

if it came with the game it's not a guide, dum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic