Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:54:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Trembling Bridge [Adventure/Brawler]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Trembling Bridge [Adventure/Brawler]  (Read 8504 times)
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:32:15 AM »

The Trembling Bridge

(this is an old screenie, I'll provide more visuals tonight)

What is this garbage?
The Trembling Bridge is a short (~1 hour) exploration heavy adventure game with brawler elements. It features hand drawn pixel art with a low res (somewhere between NES and SNES, though it does use the NES pallette) aesthetic. There's also an intentional glitchiness that sort of ties in to the story. The music will be dynamic, with a few areas that involve a full on generative engine. In terms of gameplay it's something like a combination of Another World and River City Ransom with a few additional old school adventure elements. My goal is to provide a meaningful and immersive 1 to 2 hour experience that expresses my faith and philosophical views without heavy-handedness.

How far along are you?
A third of the soundtrack is complete. That's about 18 minutes of music thus far. Some of the music is separated into channels that crossfade depending on in-game events. The rest will be generated using mysterious algorithms. Wizard I also have the protagonist fully animated, as well as a good chunk of background art complete. The game's framework is already laid, and the next few months will just involve filling it in with pretty stuff.

Platform and Software
This game uses MMF2, and will published in online Flash and downloadable executable formats. I'm actually transitioning out of using MMF (I've been using it for ~10 years), but I felt it would be the best tool for a small title like this. The game itself will be free, but the soundtrack will commercial.

Release?
The game and soundtrack will be released in around two months, so you can expect it in early May-ish.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIS3cSTPg4o&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:29:02 PM by Jay Tholen » Logged

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »

Graphics are great, and it's a combination of my favorite games.  Sounds like a winner.
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »

Definetly keeping my eye on this.  Shocked

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »

More art snippets. Smiley

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:37:21 PM »

Art is looking great and liking the sound of the game  Smiley

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:30:05 AM »

3-16-2012
- Completed more background art. Finishing all of the static pieces before moving on to the animated backgrounds and NPCs. (The environments are going to be rich with little animated details.)
- Starting work on the talk/look system. Dialogue/info box is complete. (There won't be any dialogue options because the story is linear. Giving 'choices' to a player that make no difference in the game is sort of cheap to me.)

--

- Animated a ramshackle airship named Pran that an extremely important character named Adra will use.
- Fixed a hilariously awful (and hard to find) bug that resulted in an eternal bouncing air-kick being performed for the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:31:26 AM by Jay Tholen » Logged

Dropsy!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »

3-17-12
- Added pseudo-z-axis. Most interactive objects now appear in front or behind of each other properly.
- Can't get the mower to start. Arghghghh.

Dropsy!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »

3-18-12
- Finished writing the script. Planned out all cutscenes scene-by-scene, and organized every section of every area. Closed plenty of narrative loopholes too. This should help me divvy out my workload more efficiently. Starting work on more background art.

Dropsy!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »

Little snippet of music: REMOVED

Nevermind, too early. Cool
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:10:10 AM by Jay Tholen » Logged

Dropsy!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 08:55:29 AM »

3-23-2012
Added some fancy screen scrolling and parallax layers.

Dropsy!

Marc Wilhelm
Level 0

I make a variety of games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »

Awesome, got any animated gifs of this?

“Failure isn’t a necessary evil. In fact, it isn’t evil at all. It is a necessary consequence of doing something new.”
― Ed Catmull, Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:52:28 AM »

Blink game in action - sorta Blink

Recorded at only 12 fps, oh well! There ya have it. :0)

Dropsy!

jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 11:07:36 AM »

Awesome video, keep it up.
Marc Wilhelm
Level 0

I make a variety of games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »

Cool, I'm a sucker for airships.

“Failure isn’t a necessary evil. In fact, it isn’t evil at all. It is a necessary consequence of doing something new.”
― Ed Catmull, Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »

Nice video teaser and liking the airship.

Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »

I like the art, especially the style of the buildings.

Are you doing this by yourself?

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »

Yeah, just me.  Corny Laugh

Dropsy!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »

3-24-2012
- Fixed a few more bugs regarding jumping.
- Website up! http://tremblingbridge.com  Cool

Dropsy!

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 12:48:45 AM »

visual assets: AWESOME; music: AWESOME;  weirdness level: AWESOME; this game IS GOING TO BE AWESOME

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »

Thanks James.  Coffee
I had a nasty stomach bug today so I took advantage of the time off and got a bunch done.  Hand Any Key

3-26-2012
20% Complete!
- Created the "look" system, and all accompanying dialogue boxes/transitions.
- Added the ability to enter and exit enclosed areas.
- Finished drawing and importing all background art for the first 1/3 of the game.

Dropsy!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic