Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:26:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSci Fi Action-RPG - Ring Runner - Free Demo
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sci Fi Action-RPG - Ring Runner - Free Demo  (Read 8747 times)
ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »

This is a fairly old thread.  Please visit our OFFICIAL SITE for all the latest!

This is as much a happy announcement of our game as it is a humble request for your help!  My brother and I are completely new to the industry, but we've worked very hard on our game for the last four years.  Our launch time is fast approaching (late summer or fall of this year), and we're only just beginning our publicity campaign.  Any advice from you veterans? We're planning on submitting to all of the conferences and competitions because we know they can generate good exposure even if you don't win, but I'm afraid they may be a bit late.  Should we delay release until the proper presence is built, or release anyway?

If you'd like to learn about our game, please allow me to refer you to our Youtube video blog: http://www.youtube.com/user/TripleBTitles

It's basically an action RPG in space with tons of different abilities, ships, and other fun stuff!  Its inspiration can be found in a classic old Mythic game, Silent Death, which if anyone remembers was on AOL games at something like 2 bucks an hour to play.  As a lad, I racked up about 2k in credit card debt in one month and was promptly grounded -- never got to play it again. And now that I can afford to pay for it myself, it doesn't exist, so I figured I'd have to make a modern version.  Other inspirations come from the fast paced action of DotA games and the vast offerings for "horizontal" improvement in Guild Wars.

Thanks for your time!

- Enrique

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:38:17 PM by ecdryere » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »

This looks awesome, very professional and polished  Smiley

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »

Well, thank you very much!  We've been working on it pretty hard, but we didn't know jack when we started!

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:39:31 AM »

And here's another question I have for you guys:

This isn't a bullet-hell shmup.  This is more of an action RPG in the packaging of a space shooter.  So what are some things you all would look for in a game of this kind?  I mean, are there any elements or game-modes that you just can't live without?

We've already posted videos about our Spire Battles and Racing, but we'll also feature a wave/survival mode, exploration mode, and a full-length single player campaign.  Every mode, except for the single-player campaign will be multiplayer.

Spire Battles:

Racing:

We're also very interested in what kind of questions you have while watching these videos.  So please feel free to ask, even if you think it might be silly, any feedback will help us out.

Thanks!

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »

New mini-video blog post!

Make it so with photon torpedoes:

We made the sound effects with a Slinky, in traditional fashion.  Giggle

Gib
Level 0

sup?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »

Why so few comments on this ?

It looks absolutly amazing and quite polished, as said above. I would gladly play it as soon as you release the thing  Grin

Is there some kind of lore/universe behind this ? If so, how about giving us some teases about the world of Ring Runner ?

( also, the D5F Wolf Angel looks terrific )

Welp, twitter and stuff. And b__g.
ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »

Glad you like it!  Yes, actually there's quite a bit of lore behind this.  In fact, the game will launch alongside a full-length novel.

We'll be showing off the intro in the near future, but there are two main concepts that drive the universe of Ring Runner: Sages and the Rings.

Sages are very much like science wizards!  Wizard  They manipulate reality at a subatomic level, which is captured via gameplay in the subrostrum:

Please bear in mind that this is a very old video, but the subrostrum will basically act as a series of physics-driven mini-games by which your Sage abilities are earned.

The government at the time, The Consortium of the Inner Rings, believes that Sages and order cannot coexist because a man cannot be bound by the laws of a planet if he can destroy it with a thought.  When Sages become outlaws, only other Sages can bring them to justice: these are the Extinguishers.  Noir

One of our balancing mechanics that folks might find interesting is that every time you use a Sage ability, you leave a sort of footprint of altered space.  The more powerful the skill, the bigger the footprint, and the greater the chance that a bounty hunter, a Talon, or even an Extinguisher might track you down and attack you during the mission.

The Rings are giant, universal highways built in concentric circles, which are centered on the Prime Axis.  The concept here is that the entire universe is spinning at a high rate of speed and by dropping into "anchor space" a ship can make one revolution in precisely 52 hours, regardless of the distance from the Prime Axis.  This means that the further put you go, the faster you move.  Colliding with objects at that speed can be catastrophic!  Naturally, this is not just used as a mode of transportation, but as a devastating weapon, which can only work if the target is "downspin" from you.

There's a lot more to it than this, of course, but these are two of the core Sci Fi elements that frame the universe.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »

Sounding great, really like the world you guys have come up with.

Marc Wilhelm
Level 0

I make a variety of games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »

Yes this looks great, I wouldn't delay the release unless you want the time for more polish. You should definitely submit to IndieCade though.

“Failure isn’t a necessary evil. In fact, it isn’t evil at all. It is a necessary consequence of doing something new.”
― Ed Catmull, Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »

Thanks for the advice!  We'll definitely be submitting to IndieCade soon.  I hope to see some of you there!

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 03:56:21 PM »

Because our planets, nebulae, and stars are procedurally generated, Ring Runner will offer billions of potential backgrounds.

The orbits of the planets and their moons are also procedurally generated, resulting in some interesting phenomenon. Here we see a ringed planet eclipsing a star.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 05:46:46 PM »

Those screenshots look lovely  Kiss

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »

Some new screenies demonstrating our procedurally generated terrestrial planets:

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »

New videos showing off our space-shooter takes on RPG rogues:

And Wizards:

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »

To those of you interested in learning more about our game, please allow me to direct you to a very in-depth interview that Brian Rubin of spacegamejunkie.com was kind enough to conduct for us.

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/2354/ring-runners

Thanks for reading!

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »

Our latest article on IndieGames focuses predominantly on the Caster Archetype.  Check it out:

http://indiegames.com/2012/04/ring_runner_demonstrates_what_.html

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »

Check out our short trailer/teaser for IndieCade!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »

Nice trailer. Games looking great and love the depth of play you've gone into.

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »

Thanks!  We appreciate the kind words, as always.  Beer!

ecdryere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 09:53:49 AM »

I'd like to invite everyone to check out our updated site. We were getting a lot of requests for more information, so I did my best to put together something that will give players an idea of what the game's about.  To access it, simply press the enter button on the bottom right of the splash screen or follow this link: Ring Runner's New Website.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic