Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:29:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1446676 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: October 21, 2014, 05:09:11 AM »

Thanks!

Update 342
Solved the problem with the offset, but the problem when publishing the build persists. Added distortion effect below the surface and correct perspective on the surface. Also started a little bit on having the physics react to the presence of the water.

Color still WIP.
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: October 21, 2014, 05:40:35 AM »

I skip a month, and I come back to all dis TECHNOLOGY! amazing stuff, guys.

I don't remember, is lizard vs lizard tongue pvp in the scope of this project?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2202 on: October 21, 2014, 08:55:42 AM »

Thanks!

Update 342
Solved the problem with the offset, but the problem when publishing the build persists. Added distortion effect below the surface and correct perspective on the surface. Also started a little bit on having the physics react to the presence of the water.

Color still WIP.

hnggggg this looks so damn good. ill have you all know that just 2 DAYS AGO, Joar was saying water effects were probably impossible, yet here we are and these are some PRETTY NICE WATER EFFECTS :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:02:07 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: October 22, 2014, 01:37:37 AM »

Update 343
Messing around with slugcat swimming... James and I are discussing this from a game design perspective as well. However, diving is turning out to be so much fun that I think it'll just have to be in the game... But maybe in a limited way - like, you can dive down, but you'll have to be skillful about it or you'll drown very easily. It all needs to make sense with the "rain kills you" theme as well, if the slugcat is perfectly comfortable under water that whole thing seems a little less viable. But, all those questions aside, the simple aspect of controlling the slugcat in the water is turning out pretty good! I'll gif you when I have some bubbles.

Also, the shaders keep messing with me -.- Sometimes when I open the editor, they work, sometimes not. Now it's
'variable/member "scrPos" has semantic "WPOS" which is not visible in this profile;'
does anyone have any idea how you make something "visible in the profile"?
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2204 on: October 22, 2014, 01:58:06 AM »

just make the water such a huge penalty/death zone that you never want to have to dive

like sonic

Caspar2000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: October 22, 2014, 03:21:09 AM »

Update 343
Messing around with slugcat swimming... James and I are discussing this from a game design perspective as well. However, diving is turning out to be so much fun that I think it'll just have to be in the game... But maybe in a limited way - like, you can dive down, but you'll have to be skillful about it or you'll drown very easily. It all needs to make sense with the "rain kills you" theme as well, if the slugcat is perfectly comfortable under water that whole thing seems a little less viable. But, all those questions aside, the simple aspect of controlling the slugcat in the water is turning out pretty good! I'll gif you when I have some bubbles.

Yeah, what makes the water so dangerous? Does it just cover every last bit of land, and you drown? Is it acidious? Or is it home to even bigger creatures? Or do the small harmless flies turn into KILLERBEAS, when wet?
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2206 on: October 22, 2014, 03:32:49 AM »

Update 343

Also, the shaders keep messing with me -.- Sometimes when I open the editor, they work, sometimes not. Now it's
'variable/member "scrPos" has semantic "WPOS" which is not visible in this profile;'
Yes, but being caught in crushing relentless rain is different than being able to swim in water. Perhaps the rain is so powerful that it breaks bone and drowns anything caught in the downpour (like being sprayed in the face with a fire hose).

Or the rain could be acidic like Caspar suggested

Or perhaps the things that reside in the water are so deadly that most species have a natural aversion to water, so diving and swimming would be a last resort. Deadly things like the tentacles from Another World

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:54:00 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2207 on: October 22, 2014, 03:47:22 AM »

Update 343

Yes, but being caught crushing relentless rain is different than being able to swim in water. Perhaps the rain is so powerful that it breaks bone and drowns anything caught in the downpour (like being sprayed in the face with a fire hose).

Or the rain could be acidic like Caspar suggested

Or perhaps the things that reside in the water are so deadly that most species have a natural aversion to water, so diving and swimming would be a last resort. Deadly things like the tentacles from Another World

um yes good

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: October 22, 2014, 04:33:55 AM »

Yes, but being caught crushing relentless rain is different than being able to swim in water. Perhaps the rain is so powerful that it breaks bone and drowns anything caught in the downpour (like being sprayed in the face with a fire hose).

I believe this is precisely Rain World's concept:

Rain World is set in an abandoned industrial environment scourged by a shattered eco-system. Bone-crushing intense rain pounds the surface regularly, making life as we know it almost impossible. The creatures in this world hibernate most of the time, but in the few brief dry periods they go out searching for food.
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: October 22, 2014, 04:38:25 AM »

Level design related question: would the water level rise after each downpour, or would you assume that there is some sort of natural drainage?
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: October 22, 2014, 04:55:36 AM »

An optional reason for why rain could be dangerous: flash floods.

Flash flooding occurs when precipitation falls rapidly on saturated soil

[...]

As little as 2 feet (0.61 m) of water is enough to carry away most SUV-sized vehicles.

Perhaps the rain can cause the "stationary" water to become turbulent, which would push you down and drown you. Making it dangerous to be dragged down into the water by a flash flood.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2211 on: October 22, 2014, 04:56:03 AM »

I believe this is precisely Rain World's concept:

Rain World is set in an abandoned industrial environment scourged by a shattered eco-system. Bone-crushing intense rain pounds the surface regularly, making life as we know it almost impossible. The creatures in this world hibernate most of the time, but in the few brief dry periods they go out searching for food.

Right, there you go. Slugcat can be perfectly comfortable in water, without diminishing the danger and threat of the rain

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: October 22, 2014, 05:10:07 AM »

If you want to be realistic about it, rain will likely not be dangerous on its own due to its low terminal velocity. In real life, it's the flooding that's actually dangerous.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2213 on: October 22, 2014, 06:20:31 AM »

So many gators, Rain World = Florida? Tongue

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2214 on: October 22, 2014, 06:51:12 AM »

If you want to be realistic about it, rain will likely not be dangerous on its own due to its low terminal velocity. In real life, it's the flooding that's actually dangerous.

not that i'm the devs or can comfortably speak about them i kinda have a feeling that this game is not quite exactly going for super exact realism

more a fantasy ecosystem

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2215 on: October 22, 2014, 07:04:15 AM »

low terminal velocity or not, toxic poison death rain is not good.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2216 on: October 22, 2014, 07:11:44 AM »

bullet rain

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2217 on: October 22, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »

some stay dry and others feel the pain

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2218 on: October 22, 2014, 07:21:04 AM »

bullet rain
Good name for a dual stick shooter

And yeah this is some weird alien planet. Who know how the rain works? Maybe the rain semi-crystallizes as it falls through the atmosphere, shredding and crushing everything in a pounding deluge of acidic diamond rain

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2219 on: October 22, 2014, 07:25:23 AM »

bullet rain
Good name for a dual stick shooter

it would be a spinoff of bulletstorm, naturally

but yes whatever it's really heavy rain

hey, is it too late to name this game heavy rain? sounds like a good title for a game

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic