Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:59:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1443876 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2220 on: October 22, 2014, 09:16:37 AM »

Haha these are great questions and discussion! Jusst so Joar doesn't have to go back through and answer all of them:

* Yes, the concept is that rain kills by battery, pummeling and smothering anything that gets in its way (like a huge natural power sprayer is kind of the idea), but its def true that does seem to not be terribly extreme since the game playing audience is used to "acid poison lava void levels" sort of thing. So we'll need to make sure the threatening "water = dangerous" theme is carried through to this new traversable form to.

One thing is that you will often encounter light rains in the game as a warning, building up very obviously to the deadly downpour, so we are thinking of keeping that same mechanic with the water: safe when relatively calm, but then can build to deadly rough waves and storm when the Death Rains come, before being pummeled AND drowned.

* as for the another world style tentacles, prettttty much? unless we want CRAZY feature creep, we'll want to have a "reason" to limit the scope of what the cat can do in the water to a fairly shallow reach (for now at least), so we've talked about having some SCARY WEIRD SEA THINGS lurking down there to do just that. There have been a few loosely defined water region creatures in our "design document" (LOL) for a while, but this will be more of an elemental, unspecified thing im guessing. Unknown things moving around deep under the sea is probably the scariest thing ever, so I feel like this will be amazing for mood. Joar's water distortion effect already terrifies me, so im SUPER looking forward to seeing what he can do with this.

Im SO excited that the water regions are working out. You dont even know. It's been something we've been talking about for a long while, and from my perspective its necessary to complete the rain cycle motif. It ties into a few other things which are now possible because of this, like a puzzle piece being put into place. Got big plans for this!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2221 on: October 22, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »

so if we have water, is there gonna be a cloud zone

is there gonna be a

rain zone

this is such a stupid question but i'm excited nonetheless

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2222 on: October 22, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »

^ indeed! dont want to spoil too much, but there are a number of aerial regions.

no not Ariel Tongue

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2223 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:54 AM »

I'm excited by the possibility of returning to areas that you've traveled to before, only now flooded and waterlogged.

Or maybe an aquatic lizard type...

Or racing back to your shelter and closing the door just before the rain floods in...

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2224 on: October 22, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »

how does she not hear that?

RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2225 on: October 22, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »

how does she not hear that?

She hears it.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: October 22, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »

not that i'm the devs or can comfortably speak about them i kinda have a feeling that this game is not quite exactly going for super exact realism

Yeah, obviously. I just thought it would be even cooler if it was the flash flooding that got you. It could kill you either by slamming you into things or by pulling you down into deep and turbulent water. That way you'd have a small chance to jump up and grab onto something in order to escape the flood.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2227 on: October 22, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »

not that i'm the devs or can comfortably speak about them i kinda have a feeling that this game is not quite exactly going for super exact realism

Yeah, obviously. I just thought it would be even cooler if it was the flash flooding that got you. It could kill you either by slamming you into things or by pulling you down into deep and turbulent water. That way you'd have a small chance to jump up and grab onto something in order to escape the flood.

okay go make that game then

name it flood world

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2228 on: October 22, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »

A flooding mechanic is in the works! But let's finish this one first, lololol

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2229 on: October 22, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »

i can't wait for project flood world, where you play as snaildog

Kytin
Level 0

Just hatched

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2230 on: October 22, 2014, 02:25:10 PM »

A more realistic take on the 'rain pummels you to death' thing would be if there were hailstones mixed into it. In the real world rain won't batter you to death, but hailstones can.

Dragon's Wake - Devlog
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2231 on: October 22, 2014, 03:43:14 PM »

I don't think I ever asked before. What are the controls? Do you aim spears and rocks with the mouse?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2232 on: October 22, 2014, 04:10:55 PM »

no mouse controls, just up down left right A B stuff. want to keep it simple and feel equally good on both controllers and keyboard  Hand Joystick  Hand Any Key  Hand Any Key

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: October 22, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »

I can play this on the NES

I'm sorry I didn't follow to look that shader problem up

I'm so depressed by gamergate it eat my brains

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2234 on: October 22, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »

^ real talk

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2235 on: October 22, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »

How about even when there's light rain, the droplets impact the player? Like being hit with hail?

Might sell the idea more if the player could imagine the damage a downpour could do.

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: October 22, 2014, 07:42:04 PM »

I figured if this were a post industrial society the rain/water could be caustic, but enemies in the water could be an effective deterrent to protracted ventures. So will there be areas that will fill(temporarily) after a rain? Seems like it could be a cool way to get to other areas you couldn't normally otherwise.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: October 22, 2014, 11:07:11 PM »

Hahahaha hi everyone! I think my idea for the rain has been that it's like... yeah, the "fire hose to the face" analogy is pretty much it - like, a combination of pummeling and drowning. And yeah, water totally have a lower terminal velocity than that  Who, Me? I think that you can't even call this a "fantasy" universe though, it's way more removed from our reality than that. It's more of a "cartoon" universe, or something like that.

Update 344

Swimming!

This has turned out to be quite fun - to the degree where my productivity suffers because I just have to fill this and that level with water and swim around in it.

When swimming you have a "swim power", some sort of momentum, which can be made to increase by doing certain movements, such as changing your angle. This means that just holding a direction isn't always the most effective way to move, you need to work with the water a little bit. If you bump into a wall you lose your momentum - so generally when you're under water you want to stay clear of the walls, which is trickier the faster you're going.

Swimming comes in two modes - surface swimming and deep swimming. The surface swimming is generally pretty lame, the slugcat will just keep its head up and you can steer left or right. What it does have is the ability to do a little hop by pressing the jump button, enabling you to maybe reach for some pole or ledge above you. Underwater swimming is faster (if you work up momentum) and more fun, but will be dangerous in one way or another. You have some buoyancy pulling you upwards, so you can do some pretty fun stuff by swimming down and then come up through the surface fast. If you have really good timing, you can manage to press the jump button during the few frames you're in "surface mode", get a little extra momentum from the mini jump, and do a pretty sweet jump up into the air.

I still haven't gotten around to doing anything about the coloration of the water, but I think it's going to be pretty straigh forward as the entire underwater environment is basically just a gradient between two colors - so it's just a question of picking two colors that fit the above-water palette.

As you can see the slugcat is made dark when submerged... I have tried a few other things as well, such as having it be the original color but with a multiply overlay, or similar. Any solution with the actual colors visible turn out to be less cool though, for some reason. I think it's because when everything under the surface has the same colors it really feels like a different "realm", whereas if the original colors are visible it just feels like a blue overlay. The problem here is that it's harder to see your player character, and also that in a multiplayer scenario it might be hard to keep them apart, if several players dive down simultaneously. Still it kind of is that visual obscurity that makes for the effect, so idk... What do you guys think?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2238 on: October 22, 2014, 11:33:40 PM »

so perfect! dont change a thingggg. I can hear the sploosh clearly in my head when the cat dives into the water, it looks that good

Vadinci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:53 PM »

bullet rain

I've never really been a fan of (wavy) water in 2d platformers, it feels like the world just ends at a glass pane or something to me. You managed to make it look pretty though, so I'll get over it Wink My only gripe would be that the water behaves very rubbery when you dive in, like it's jelly you're swimming around in rather than water. The swimming itself looks really cool, and I think the slugcat being darkened while submerged works well.

Also is that walljumping I see?

Edit
(paged the pretty graphics):

Update 344

Swimming!

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic