Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:22:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1443745 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2480 on: December 13, 2014, 09:07:43 AM »

that is a really good question. the fluidity of the animation is tied to everything being per-pixel and attention being paid to that level of details, so scaling is pretty much out. plus, the unique way the rooms are created (30 layers of topography stacked, each with its own lines of perspective, which gives that kind of diorama-esque false 3d look) means that we cant just re-size the camera either, like you might do in a unity or game-maker type engine. so the solution we (eh, Joar) came up with is that basically were designing everything around a few key 16:9 and 4:3 resolutions simultaneously as to accommodate things like the PS Vita. Thats a bit tricky since it would necessarily include constantly taking that aspect into consideration for super basic things like object positioning within level geometries and even the screen switching mechanism, but seems to be working so far!

As for the soundtrack, I cant wait to start talking about that  Well, hello there!, but we need the game content to catch up first! Seems like we are getting there though. Im putting together what might be the last few rooms for the second region this weekend. Then only 10 more regions to go!  Droop

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2481 on: December 13, 2014, 09:23:40 AM »

that is a really good question. the fluidity of the animation is tied to everything being per-pixel and attention being paid to that level of details, so scaling is pretty much out. plus, the unique way the rooms are created (30 layers of topography stacked, each with its own lines of perspective, which gives that kind of diorama-esque false 3d look) means that we cant just re-size the camera either, like you might do in a unity or game-maker type engine. so the solution we (eh, Joar) came up with is that basically were designing everything around a few key 16:9 and 4:3 resolutions simultaneously as to accommodate things like the PS Vita. Thats a bit tricky since it would necessarily include constantly taking that aspect into consideration for super basic things like object positioning within level geometries and even the screen switching mechanism, but seems to be working so far!

As for the soundtrack, I cant wait to start talking about that  Well, hello there!, but we need the game content to catch up first! Seems like we are getting there though. Im putting together what might be the last few rooms for the second region this weekend. Then only 10 more regions to go!  Droop
We know two regions already: "Suburban" and "Drainage System". So there'll be 12 regions in the game?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: December 13, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

The attention to details in this is fantastic, i just love to watch the progress on the devlog.
One day i'll have this level of patience
gameaddictwn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: December 14, 2014, 02:06:17 AM »

Please tell me we can get a playable build by Christmas  Beg
It would be the perfect present to the world
pgil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: December 14, 2014, 07:38:38 AM »

Oh man, those rays of sunlight...

Just want to say, this is probably the game on TIGS I'm looking forward to the most. I think I've been checking this devlog almost every day since August.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2485 on: December 14, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »

We know two regions already: "Suburban" and "Drainage System". So there'll be 12 regions in the game?

thats the plan at present! in my mind, 12 regions allow exploration of all the permutations of mechanics (wont be too specific, because id like to surprise you with some of them!) but its a long way to go, so who knows if things might change Wink Right now my idea is to get the first few regions together (maybe the first 4) and see how it all feels connected, how much time it takes to get from place to place, etc., then take stock and use that info to tighten up the ideas for scope of the greater world. Then after I get the world all stapled together, of course Joar is going to do another pass to add some REAL ART CRED, hopefully some dynamic set pieces, etc etc.

There is still one potentially significant element, darkness, that we haven't even begun experimenting with how it will be implemented. So if/how that plays out will significantly effect the number of regions and the shape of the game world. BUT... honestly at this point its just "a thing ive been nagging Joar about", so who knows if it will actually pan out.

Please tell me we can get a playable build by Christmas  Beg
It would be the perfect present to the world

Wink
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:00:30 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: December 15, 2014, 04:19:24 AM »

Long-time listener, first time caller Smiley

I love this project. So much careful thought and clever design. Completely missed the kickstarter but will be buying day 1 no doubt.

Anyway - I was on a bit of a rainworld gif binge when I realised what it was that was bugging me about the lizards. The head colour fades all the way from full bright to black. This makes it hard to read their movement properly, especially when compared to the placeholder "box train" graphics. The human visual system isn't really built to track objects that dramatically vary in brightness. I find the same difficulty when cyclists use flashing lights. It makes it hard to judge motion and distance, which is why I ride with my lights on constant brightness.

Maybe this is a desired effect, in which case that's fine. But there are a few things you could experiment with to make things easier on the eyes/brain. Fading to 50% brightness, only fading parts of the head (eyes? "crest"?), fading different parts at different times (waves of brightness?), fading a gradient? etc.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: December 15, 2014, 05:06:41 AM »

Heh, I saw a bike with a flashing light for the first time in my life just the other day and wondered to myself why it was flashing, as if I wouldn't see the light otherwise anyway...

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2488 on: December 15, 2014, 08:19:43 AM »

i know you guys are gif starved...

html5: http://gfycat.com/DeadlyBaggyBluefintuna

showing off the new palette in action. check the ambient water lighting, new pipes, leeches, DS_A05 has it all. Kind of gives off a nice "terrarium" feel. Also on the right with the water coming out is a tile ive been begging Joar for: the spigot!!!!! behold its glory.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: December 15, 2014, 08:27:56 AM »

You don't need gameplay, it work as a terrarium, we would just sit and watch all day long, tv is dead long live slugcat.

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: December 15, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »

beautiful  Hand Clap Kiss
Janeator
Level 0

Slugcat mecha cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »

Hey people!

So I just registered for some reasons that I bet you can all guess, so I thought I'd drop by and post a comment in this beloved thread!
Gotta say that the game looks awesome! As many others have said, the details, art and whatnot make the game incredible (even if what we're seeing is just gifs so far) and stand out a lot.

I really like what you're doing with the color palettes, but might I suggest adjusting the leeches colour to each palette? (I dunno if it's already like that but for what I've seen I'm guessing it isn't)

Another small suggestion I have is to make some long-stemmed plants move in the "outside" areas, I think that'd make the game feel even more alive. For the inner areas, maybe make these glowing-like plants really glow! Or have the glow move thru their stem.

Keep up the awesome job!

Looking at Irkalla and Rain World
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2492 on: December 15, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »

Sea Slug Cat, Run Slug Cat

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Caspar2000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: December 16, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »

i know you guys are gif starved...

html5: http://gfycat.com/DeadlyBaggyBluefintuna

showing off the new palette in action. check the ambient water lighting, new pipes, leeches, DS_A05 has it all. Kind of gives off a nice "terrarium" feel. Also on the right with the water coming out is a tile ive been begging Joar for: the spigot!!!!! behold its glory.

This is the most alive looking screen ever!

I wonder if the leeches should have a lurking state, where they are more hidden, so you never know if the water is safe or not.

I so cannot wait for the first playable build!! Hand Joystick=D

Edit: Did I just saw a bat in the right bottom corner get pushed underwater, swim through a bunch of leeches and resurfacing a bit later?
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: December 16, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »

that is a ridiculously "alive" looking game. fantastic stuff, guys. to think that it wasn't so long ago that Joar wrote his first C# code...
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: December 16, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »

If you guys wouldn't mind checking out /Map (http://rainworld.gamepedia.com/Map) I'd like to know if it's understandable/readable.

Tx!

Also feel free to browse the whole Wiki and lemme know of your impressions of it!

I'd also love feedback on any missing info, or if you think I should add a section or two Smiley

Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: December 16, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »

Also feel free to browse the whole Wiki and lemme know of your impressions of it!

I'd also love feedback on any missing info, or if you think I should add a section or two Smiley

I think what the Wiki lacks is pictures, otherwise good work. Wink
gameaddictwn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: December 16, 2014, 10:39:57 AM »

I want a screensaver of that Grin
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: December 16, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »

Yeah how about releasing a terrarium screen saver before the end of the game Shocked
Free asset on unity to do that painlessly:
 https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/770
Who, Me?

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: December 16, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »

I think what the Wiki lacks is pictures, otherwise good work. Wink
Yes, yes it is!
Am working on that. Though, like the Map section, some sections won't get pics until after release.

But even Slugcat and Lizards I might wait just so I get high-quality stills.
I'll see what I can do in the meantime, though, thanks Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic