Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:12:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1421928 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »

Today the problems don't occur on all the levels where they did yesterday. If I can't reproduce the problem I can't fix it. I officially give up...
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: October 22, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »

Strangest bug EVER  WTF

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: October 22, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »

Today the problems don't occur on all the levels where they did yesterday. If I can't reproduce the problem I can't fix it. I officially give up...

Maybe it's not your game per se, but rather something else that was running that interfered with the game? Maybe... Maybe an overlay program like Rainmeter? (Extremely wild guesses.)

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »

Probably something like that...

Update 104
Been trying to supress the strangest bug ever from my mind and instead concentrate on creating some levels and art assets.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2012, 11:04:01 PM »

Update 105
Here's just a random screenshot:

The graphics are not really turning out the way I want to. I think the problem is that the tiles are too small - I get a clutter of detailed small objects rather than fewer, bigger machines. Problem is that big things have to be custom tailored for a specific level, and can't be used again. Maybe if I started to draw machine parts rather than the whole machines, I could piece them together in different ways on the different levels...
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: October 24, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »

you are talking about the background artwork I gather? IMHO it looks pretty good! I kind of agree with on the more detailed stuff though. the top and middle sections are nice because its just a solid clean silhouette and doesn't get in the way of the foreground stuff. the bottom background could be a bit less detailed maybe, not necessarily as rule but because the poles are such an important part of that level and need to more visually "present" I think. As it is now the poles kind of mix in with the background machines.

just my 2 cents! I love the art, you know that Smiley
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:27:39 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2012, 11:34:55 AM »

I'm not really talking about the background art specifically, as I feel the foreground stuff has the same problems. Instead of looking like something that's consistent enough to be meant to function in one way or another, it just looks like a clutter of small building blocks... which is exactly what it is -.-

Yeah, the poles certainly could stand out more. The wierd thing is that in a way the level looks better and is more readable when there's no light at all, as such:

(Old one to the right for reference)

because then there's only one, simple rule - darker=closer. Buuut I really do enjoy having the light fade out when the rain is approaching, and I've put so much work into the shadow renderer already.

Anyway, I removed some of the clutter from behind the poles, and kept it a stone wall that doesn't draw too much attention!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: October 25, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »

oh, well I think the foreground stuff is really good! it looks like chunks of debris and worn down mysterious things... seems right on to meeeee!  Gomez Gomez Gomez Gomez

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 26, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »

Hehe that sounds about right then, only that I'd like BIGGER worn down mysterious things!

I have waaay too much work right now - it'll get better next week. However I've been able to do at least something:

Update 106
I'm into another assault on what I think might be one of the games' biggest design flaws - that you can't really know where a shortcut will take you unless you've made the level yourself. Earlier I added a little spark that flows through the shortcuts so that you at least have a chance to see them, now I've started on another cue as well. Instead of drawing the shortcut symbols onto the level image, I've made them separate sprites. Next up is making them blink or change color when a player is close to them, in a similar manner to items on the ground.

The trick is that they'll change color in pairs, so that you can see which of all the exits is blinking when you get close to an entrance, and from that conclude where you'll end up.

After this I'll move on to more important but boring stuff I figure, such as... the main menu -.-
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 27, 2012, 11:45:17 PM »

Update 107
Did a little bit of cleaning up - and made the new "shortcut symbols as sprites"-system work better. It wouldn't hurt to give it some more polishing, but now it is basically up an running as I want to, with the symbols following the screen shake and everything.

Also enabled the poor flies to release their chains when the rain is approaching. Up till now the ones that had formed chains would just be hanging there as everything else escaped back into their holes, now they too have the sensibility to let go and fly home.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2012, 02:42:12 AM »

Spent some time making the "rain getting closer"-stuff a little more polished. Spent about half an hour trying to figure out why the hell a sample wouldn't loop properly, until I realized that the file was named "rain loop" despite it not being loopable at all ... Thank you James  Tongue

Right now the game seems to almost always load and play the same song, I'll have to look into that. I'm just happy as long as the bugs are reachabe from the code I write, and not hidden in the basic functions of Macromedia Director. Everyone hates hunting bugs, but I tell you, you learn to appreciate hunting findable bugs after having tried to chase the ghost of something that can't be found and can't be fixed...
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 29, 2012, 03:05:24 AM »

I just read one of your old posts and you mentioned Director, man that's awesome. I loved Director but shifted to Flash once it got AS1, but I have many fond memories of Lingo and building interactive CDROMs when everyone thought CDROMs would take over the world :D

This game is looking awesome  Coffee

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: October 29, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »

Spent some time making the "rain getting closer"-stuff a little more polished. Spent about half an hour trying to figure out why the hell a sample wouldn't loop properly, until I realized that the file was named "rain loop" despite it not being loopable at all ... Thank you James  Tongue

OOOOOOPS! ill look onto it.  is it just called "rain loop"? I rendered a ton of stuff from a folder called "rain loop", so it might have gotten mid-labeled. sorry! this happens sometimes when you do complicated work at 4am Tongue

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2012, 12:37:55 PM »

Hehe no worries James, I loopified it myself - you've heard the result. If you don't think it's good enough lemme know Wink

I just read one of your old posts and you mentioned Director, man that's awesome. I loved Director but shifted to Flash once it got AS1, but I have many fond memories of Lingo and building interactive CDROMs when everyone thought CDROMs would take over the world :D

This game is looking awesome  Coffee
Haha Lingo is the latin of programming languages - dead and dusty. This is certainly the last thing I make in it, and probably the last thing that gets made with it as well. It's good to be using a software that creates applications that you can be kind of sure will be possible to use even in a few years. I guess I'll have to emulate windows xp if I wanna play Rain World in ten years haha!

Contrary to the idea I have but never live up to - to have fun and interesting posts high up on new pages to draw new readers in - I will give you a dead boring update today. I know myself from following devlogs that boring updates are at least less frustrating than several days with no updates at all. Hrm. So here you go:

Update 109
Made a system that enables player entrances to be shut off. As those of you who have been reading this somewhat regularly might know the game will contain levels that can both be reachable from an open world and opened up through a custom game kind of setup. In the open world scenario I want them to have only one entrance, while in a custom game I might want to have one entrance for every player or something like that.

So now I can create a level with as many entrances as I want, and then shut all but one of them down from the code when loading them in the campaign. I simply make them lizard dens, because as it stands that was a good quick fix - a player entering a lizard den will be spitted out again right away. Had to make them not be counted when the lizards try to decide where to emerge, so that the same lizards will still come out of the same holes. It seems to work ok!

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 01, 2012, 02:01:05 AM »

Update 110
Now the game has flies - not the creature I've been calling "fly" but frankly is looking more like a bat kind of thing - but actual tiny little flies that buzz around. It doesn't really make any difference, but I hope it makes the world seem a little more lively.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: November 01, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »

Can't wait to try this out at Prince of Arcade! Party time!  Gomez Gomez Gomez Gomez

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 02, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »

Oh! Almost forgot about that! Don't worry though, the game is already pretty playable, so I'll have something for you guys!

Update 111
Let me take a moment to tell the story of how to add a graphical asset to Rain World.

Let's pose the example that I'd like to put in a machine looking something like this:

Here any sane artist would just open a graphics software and happily go at it. I, on the other hand, have chosen to make it as difficult as humanly possible.

I start out like this:

Then I write some instructions for how that material will be handled, like this:

Then feed this through the good old

Before reaching my destination - something I could've drawn in half an hour. I guess that the good part is that I then can use that same machine part again, but that hasn't really started to pay off yet...
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: November 02, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »

That is insane, but the effect is pretty gorgeous. Very nice, indeed.

Ashkin
« Reply #278 on: November 02, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »

WTF
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: November 02, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »

ah that's gorgeous!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 367
Print
Jump to: