Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:22:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1446375 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2800 on: January 27, 2015, 05:11:57 PM »

I'm advocating for a little clumsiness and reckless abandon in its movement and pursuit behaviors.  I love the fact that he slams into the side of that platform in one of the gifs.  Rain world is full of stuff that's gonna get in its way -- it's huge and fast and it shouldn't give a crap.

Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: January 27, 2015, 09:32:39 PM »

Looking good guys! Any ETA on another alpha? Nightly builds? *wink wink*
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2802 on: January 28, 2015, 12:13:14 AM »

The shadow warps from the bottom of the screen back up to the top. The only way to explain that would be the vulture teleporting, z-axis shenanigans or not. The shadow moving from top to bottom would be more realistic, although if the vulture wants to hang out off the top of the screen it might look odd. You should try it out in game first before writing it off though. (It should be easy to do; instead of moving it down one screen's height, move it down how far it is above the screen twice.)

Also I think it looks really odd how it comes to a perfect stop when it uses it's thrusters while landing. If you do need it to hover maybe make it decelerate slower, or even make it overshoot a bit and reverse back to where it planned to stop.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: January 28, 2015, 01:04:35 AM »

Update 388

Made the vulture able to snap after prey, and carry it. Also lifted the utility comparison engine from living in the lizard only to being general, and applied it in the vulture.

The current AI layout is as such:

At the very top, there's the ArtificialIntelligence class, which has basically nothing going on in it except an empty list of modules. A specific creature AI inherits from ArtificialIntelligence, such as LizardAI : ArtificialIntelligence.

The first thing such a creature specific AI does is to start firing up a bunch of modules. In the case of the lizard, no less than these:

Vulture will likely have the same set, maybe except from Threat Tracker as it's pretty much an alpha predator and I don't know if it would even need to bother to look over its shoulder.

What's new since last time is that now the Utility Tracker lives as a module alongside the other modules. The Utility Tracker keeps references to the other modules it's been told to keep an eye on, and every frame it asks them for their Utility.

Utility is a value between 0 and 1, which is the AI module reporting back how urgent it is to do the thing that that AI module is responsible of. If the threat tracker returns a 1, get to cover! If the rain tracker returns a 0.7, time to start heading home. Prey tracker returning 0.9, there's some juicy prey close by and you should seriously consider the hunting behavior.

Utility Tracker keeps track of these, and do some smoothing and tweening on the values as well, to keep stuff more organic. It also applies a conservative bias (ie whatever is currently being done should get a little bonus, to keep the creature from flickering between behaviors) and similar neat things.

Every frame, the main AI script can simply ask the Utility Tracker for which module is reporting most urgency this frame, and then act accordingly.

Not all AI modules are hooked up to the Utility Tracker - for example the Path Finder is never really urgently calling for some decision, it's more of a means to an end.

This system is now up and running in both the lizard and the vulture, and seems to be working in both places. The vulture only has Path Finder, Utility Tracker and Prey Tracker at the moment, meaning that it'll spend each frame comparing the utility of doing nothing to the utility of hunting a prey, if it has seen one. So yeah, still some stuff that's gotta happen there. But basically not anything the lizard isn't already doing, so I don't expect it to be too troublesome.

Hunting behavior (except from the flying outside the room / between rooms part) is pretty much down already though, as it's basically all happening in the interaction between path finder, prey tracker and the actual body's locomotion engine stuff. I've already run around with the vulture and several lizards, and seen it pick its prey, hunt for a bit, change its mind to something closer, etc.

The actual snapping looks like this right now:

It's a little lameish, but when I went all out with body motion and neck extension etc the range became too big, and it was just impossible. Maybe it doesn't need a super power attack, but this little peck can do quite well... At least for now.

Also, since actually making it able to catch you I've started tweaking speed etc to make the challenge reasonable. It's difficult to tell, because it's a very big difference in what's "reasonable challenge" when you're just testing in a room and can restart every 11 seconds, and when you've invested 6 minutes since the last save point in single player and really, really, really want to stay alive.

This is also the biggest liability with this enemy I think - because it's so big, and a climbing enemy, its speed becomes a bit unreliable. Whether or not it can find suitable grips when climbing makes the entire difference between it traversing the screen in three mighty strides and snatching you up before you know what hit you, and it fumbling for a good climbing route for 15 seconds while you take your time to leave. There's of course work that can be done to even that out - most notably having it switch to flight when climbing is not a good option, but also by clamping the max speed a little, etc.

Apart from the AI implementation, which I think is gonna pick up big time tomorrow when the modules go in one after the other, there's the big issue of flight. James and I had a talk about some of the design issues that needed addressing today, and now I just have to go do the technical implementations. Haha. Path finding, here I come!
Janeator
Level 0

Slugcat mecha cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: January 28, 2015, 02:28:08 AM »

Completely lame comment and without proper feedback but: I like the smokey-takedown he does there :D

Also, teleporting slugcat. Do we gain psychic powers at some point? Wink

Looking at Irkalla and Rain World
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2805 on: January 28, 2015, 04:03:23 AM »

psychic developer debug powers!  Wizard

the peck animation is great, looks very natural and bird-like. its probably good to have that rather than another big dramatic lunge, as the vulture is already pretty dramatic as it is. makes it feel a little more like a hungry bird than FLYING DEATH SKULL BEAST. we want both of course, but nice touch to balance that mood just a little

ofx360
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: January 28, 2015, 09:10:29 AM »

Is there an aspect of hunger and starvation in this game? Like, if a Vulture can't catch prey for a little bit, it dies?

And if a Slugcat kills or finds a dead lizard or vulture, can it carry that back to the den and eat it? Or is it's sole food source bats?

Also, the animation for that vulture is nuts. Very natural and memorizing. Maybe there could be a way to dislodge from its mouth if it were to grab you. That way it could give you options if it were to cross an entire screen in 3 big strides.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: January 28, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »

Is there an aspect of hunger and starvation in this game? Like, if a Vulture can't catch prey for a little bit, it dies?

And if a Slugcat kills or finds a dead lizard or vulture, can it carry that back to the den and eat it? Or is it's sole food source bats?

Also, the animation for that vulture is nuts. Very natural and memorizing. Maybe there could be a way to dislodge from its mouth if it were to grab you. That way it could give you options if it were to cross an entire screen in 3 big strides.
Even if Slugcat's predators "could" die of starvation, there's nothing you would want to do about it.
The Liz and Vulture are massive, so it'd be unfeasible to try to horde their bodies to yourself-- and the fact that it would take a long while to drag either back to your den would mean you were a bigger target for the still living prey, and would also jeopardize your chance of getting home safely before the next rain.
That said, I wish there WERE a creature, roughly the size of Slugcat (but a tad smaller) that you could ignore because it's passive, but also kill if you needed the portions of 3 bats of food.
It would take longer to eat, but would sustain a lot more too.

As to the ability to get a desperate getaway from the Vulture, I agree. Even if it has you in its death grip, I think a skilled "punch a shark in its nose" type of attack should be added. Maybe make it the 'C' key (and use as a generic punch attack, useful against other things as well?), and give it a 50/50 chance of working.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2808 on: January 28, 2015, 09:51:44 AM »

Maybe a quick paw swipe? It could function in the same way as a rock throw, but stun creatures for a much shorter amount of time.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: January 28, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »

Maybe a quick paw swipe? It could function in the same way as a rock throw, but stun creatures for a much shorter amount of time.
Considering I presume Slugcat has claws, they would most likely at LEAST make a predator jerk away for a split second and rub its sore. Just enough time to jump away Smiley

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2810 on: January 28, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »

snail

what? when did this happen?

Caravan: devlog | website
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2811 on: January 28, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »

halfway though http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.2540

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: January 28, 2015, 08:57:31 PM »

Well, post #2540 out of now 2800 is not exactly "halfway" Tongue

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2813 on: January 29, 2015, 03:10:03 AM »

Halfway through that page.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: January 29, 2015, 04:14:20 AM »

Update 389
Today I've been doing two things, but neither really to a place where I have much to show, sorry! First one is that I've started on the "sky highway" - a way for flying creatures to teleport between rooms. The first step was to identify the room borders, which is now done - next step is going to be having the abstract world map understand these room exits as Nodes, similarly to exits and dens. This is a journey through the absolutely murkiest parts of the rain world engine - the stuff that has to do with path finding, AI prebaking and interaction between the game and the level text files, so it's gonna be trouble for sure. But maybe it's as well that I go in there and renew my understanding of how that stuff works, or I might forget it completely.

The other thing is tiles! For once I want to have some margin, and do the tiles for the next area before James is already halfway through it, so I've gotten started on that.
Caspar2000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: January 29, 2015, 07:42:19 AM »

The scruffy, scrabbling, terrifyingly desperate vulture is awesome.

I still want something that can be called a sky kraken, though. Like some sort of floating man-o-war with roving tentacles.

I second that. I am very much pro kraken, especially since I saw a loose tentacle reach into a tunnel on some gif in this devlog.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: January 29, 2015, 07:53:06 AM »

The scruffy, scrabbling, terrifyingly desperate vulture is awesome.

I still want something that can be called a sky kraken, though. Like some sort of floating man-o-war with roving tentacles.

I second that. I am very much pro kraken, especially since I saw a loose tentacle reach into a tunnel on some gif in this devlog.
Cue the Cease and Desist from Razer lol

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: January 29, 2015, 08:15:33 AM »

New Tumblr post over at lifeofaslugcat.tumblr.com Smiley

Talking about how I envision the world, but doing a short bit of back-story first.
All fake, not true to the game as the Devs have intended. BUT, I made sure that you know that.

Anyway, have a read if you like lore and stuff like that.
http://lifeofaslugcat.tumblr.com/post/109492253910/the-big-picture

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2818 on: January 29, 2015, 08:30:15 AM »

Bets on when Rain World furry cosplay rears it's ugly head?

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: January 29, 2015, 08:31:26 AM »

Bets on when Rain World furry cosplay rears it's ugly head?
Duuuuuuude, I was seriously contemplating making a Slugcat onesie for this past Halloween :D

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic