Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:19:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1443725 times)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 02, 2012, 06:08:16 PM »

Oh my god, this is beautiful.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »

procgenn assets are always the best option Hand Thumbs Up Left Kiss

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 03, 2012, 12:51:13 AM »

Hehehe welcome to the depths of my insanity!

Update 112
Added a few sounds I got from James. Worked a little with the bubble creature, changed its appearance a little.

Update: Aaaaand added eggs into the same framework as other objects, so they appear in one place consistently!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:19:39 AM by JLJac » Logged
Vovosunt
Level 0

Lolcat

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 03, 2012, 02:41:46 AM »

I don't know what kind of magic this is, but it looks amazing! Tears of Joy

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 04, 2012, 06:19:27 AM »

Update 113
What I should be doing right now (except from actual non-RW work) is adding a more decent main menu so that the Prince of Arcade guys won't bleed too much out of their eyes. It's hard though, because I don't know if I should start on the framework for the final main menu (and waste time making way for things that won't be used this time around) or if I should go for a quick fix (and waste time doing stuff that won't make it into the final game). Realistically I think I'll settle on changing the colors a little for the cascade of ugliness that's the main menu right now.

This is however not what I'm actually doing. I've been wrestling Macromedia Director's very 90's-ish code solutions once again today. A sound can have a "loop back here"-marker set in it, but the point from which you start playing the sound can't be set behind that point. This means that my plan, to have a song start playing at a random place and once it reached the end start over from the very beginning, was a no-go. This wasn't good, as a custom game session is shorter than the average song, meaning that there would be a lot of musical material that would never be heard.

I managed to fix it though, with a small hiccup in the looping. Maybe I'll get around to doing it differently for songs that actually start playing from the beginning, so that they won't suffer from the hiccup. Minimize the damages.

Ah well, it's sunday, I might as well make this a long post.

So, yesterday I made a small change to the level renderer that in turn made a small change to the level art. Very small, but I find it enjoyable.

Here, look:

Can't spot the difference? Try putting them in different tabs and switching between them. Here they are, overlayed:

The "earthquake" effect is because the second image is slightly scewed. I got tired of having everything completely straight and square, it seemed lifeless. But the problem was that I couldn't tilt or scew anything, because the game was mathematically built around a perfectly straight grid. The collision boxes of things would still be straight, even if the level was tilted.

The solution I found was this :

The level is rendered as 30 layers, and the objects of the game are drawn in layer 5. By having a "scewing factor" that increases as you move away from layer 5, but is fixed at 0 on layer 5 itself, it's possible to scew the background and foreground while keeping the actual gameplay relevant graphics in phase with their hitboxes.

I know the effect is very slight - I want it that way. When trying stuff out I made some renderings that made your truly sea sick, like this:

But I decided to keep it subtle. Maybe a little too subtle, now when I look at them I think I'll have a little more scewing in there after all... I'll settle on something. The point is that now everything isn't perfectly lined up, and just seeing a slight difference in angle between two things make the environments seem a little less artificial.

I guess I'm trying to strike a fine balance with the art. In one way I want it to look a little tile-ey, and not just like one big drawing made by hand. Not because I don't like hand drawn aesthetics, but because it has been done so many times before.

On the other hand I want one specific feature of the hand drawn aesthetic - the uniting of the graphics into one single image. Tiles tend to look like... tiles, different pieces that fit more or less well together. Reality - especially when dirty and worn down - tends to blend into one in a way that correlates more closely to the hand drawing than to tiles. But the drawing has certain quirks as well, such as some lines looking different than others because the drawing tool is held in one hand and not the other.

I want to have the cake and eat it. My goal is to create an aesthetic that looks like one unified image, but doesn't have the characteristics of the human hand. That's why I have this combination of tiles and effects going on. The tiles look technical and strict, while the effects make it look a little dirtier, and more importantly unifies it into one single image. What I want, after all, is to create images of worn down machines. I couldn't do without either the strict or the dirty.

On top of this comes another factor - the stylization. The game is - in a way - pixel art, with everything that comes with that art direction. One of those things is tiles. At the same time the game is not strictly classical pixel art, it's a subversion of sorts. I want to play with the pixel art aesthetic, but I don't want to play it straight. This is for example why the characters are kind of looking like pixel art, but not moving like pixel art  usually does. I want the same thing for the environments - something that's a wink to the classical pixel art genre, and something that's different.

I like to think of my game as a pixel art rendering of a world that is not a "pixel art kind of world".

The tiles are more in line with the pixel art tradition, while the effects and the scewing are something else. It's a hard line to strike, because if I get too happy about adding stuff I might go too far in one direction or the other. This is for example why I use blur in the graphics, but use it sparesly. If I just went ahead I would lose the aesthetic I'm aiming for.

So, in conclusion, now I have another factor to fine tune in this balance act!
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: November 04, 2012, 07:01:06 AM »

wow thats pretty cool.
Do you have parallax as well? (you probably already answered this)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 04, 2012, 08:40:57 AM »

Well, the way this works is that the software I'm making this in is kind of ancient and not really able to display any exciting graphics - so to evade that I'm rendering pre-baked levels that take several minutes each and then just display them as images. So no, no parallax scrolling, just fixed screens. Rest assured though, my next project I'll move over to something (anything) else.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 04, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »

Is the spelling for "skew" different over there?
I didn't want to be all "It's spelled skew, not scew", especially if it's some foreign way of spelling it.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 04, 2012, 10:08:08 PM »

Hehehe fact is I'm not a native speaker and don't have a clue how "skew" is spelled Wink your weird ass language has no correlation between how something sounds and how it's spelled! Now I now though, thanks Tongue

Edit: changed "doesn't" into "don't". If one is unable to communicate properly in ones statement about one being unable to communicate properly, what is that even!? Unable to communicate-ception?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:52:50 PM by JLJac » Logged
Ashkin
« Reply #289 on: November 04, 2012, 10:26:34 PM »

Hehehe fact is I'm not a native speaker and doesn't have a clue how "skew" is spelled Wink your weird ass language has no correlation between how something sounds and how it's spelled!
Man, I know right? English sucks, I have no idea why it's the most-spoken language in the world.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 04, 2012, 10:54:48 PM »

Haha yeah! I'd totally write this thread in esperanto, if it wasn't because I like to entertain myself with the idea that someone is actually reading it.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 05, 2012, 02:09:35 AM »

Update 114
Started to patch things up for the Prince of Arcade sneak peek release. It suddenly hit me that the game should probably be... playable until then.

The original design idea was that in a custom game, if one player died, the timer would be set to something very low so that the other players would only have just enough time to get to an exit. There's a problem here, as the light fading/sounds playing/screen shaking stuff that goes on when the rain is approaching is triggered by certain key frames, and those can't be skipped - meaning I can't instantly set the timer to something very low. I think I can work around that though, in a way more or less hideous code-wise.

Also started on the very basic frame work for a main menu.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: November 05, 2012, 03:37:19 AM »

when is this prince of arcades? sounds very cool, and I'll be very excited to hear the reactions!

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 05, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »

Haha I should look that up!

Update 115
Worked some one the "rules" of the game, like how it handles the game aspects of what's going on. I've got it to a point I'm decently happy with.

If one player dies the other one is given just enough time to get back to a hole. This means that you can win even if you die, because if you had more flies than your opponent and he/she doesn't reach their hole in time, you still have the victory. It's however still a pretty huge advandage to not be the one to die first.

If one player is dead, the game is halted immediately as the other player goes into a hole, and you don't have to wait for the rain.

If both players go back into their holes at the same time the game is ended. I might change the requirements so that at least one player has to be dead for the game to end - sometimes you go into holes in order to escape lizards as well.

When the rain comes all players that are outside are counted as dead - those in holes as alive.

I still have to make it so that the game stops if one player is already in a hole and the other one dies.

On top of this I added a fun little detail - in competitive game modes a player can't go into a hole that's already occupied, you're spitted straight out again. I hope this will create some fun and frantic situations when players race for the closest hole. Some levels might even have less holes than players, then the gameplay becomes a balance of trying to hunt effectively and staying closer to the hole than your opponent.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2012, 07:48:31 AM »

Update 116
Poking around with the colors of the lizards. Sometimes I want their colors to change slightly to align with a color in the specific level's palette. For example, if one level has pink plants in it I want the pink lizards on that level to be that pink, not anything else. This is kind of a hassle in some cases, as some parts of the lizards are constituted of bitmaps loaded from memory, and for those parts the colors can't be changed from the code. So I'm doing multiple sets of those parts so that everything will be in sync.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 08, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »

Update 117
Menu stuff...
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: November 08, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »

Update 116
Poking around with the colors of the lizards. Sometimes I want their colors to change slightly to align with a color in the specific level's palette. For example, if one level has pink plants in it I want the pink lizards on that level to be that pink, not anything else. This is kind of a hassle in some cases, as some parts of the lizards are constituted of bitmaps loaded from memory, and for those parts the colors can't be changed from the code. So I'm doing multiple sets of those parts so that everything will be in sync.

Your dedication to making the game look consistent and beautiful in the face of what might be very boring work is admirable. Continue development!

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 09, 2012, 03:37:30 AM »

A video!

Click the image!

The video shows how you can play with the lizard AI - I, the white player, have a rock, and my friend has a spear. I attract the attention of the croc, and make it follow me. When the croc see me dissapear down the ledge it assumes I dropped to the bottom, and decides to drop down as well. Once down there it realizes that was not the case, and crawls back up to investigate where I might have gone. My friend is waiting for it with the spear.

This is of course an artifical situation, but it shows how the semi-predictable AI can affect the way you play. It's possible to make a plan based on what you'd think be a reasonable behaviour for the croc, and put it in motion. Not all plans will work as smoothly as this one of course, but I hope there will be fun in the element of surprise as well!
Ashkin
« Reply #298 on: November 09, 2012, 03:42:09 AM »

That's... Surprisingly brutal for something so cute. I imagine the sounds are placeholder- I hope they'll be replaced with something more fleshy and visceral.
Also, what's the structure of this game? I don't have the willpower to look through the whole thread to find out- how does the game play? I only know the mechanics, not the goal or anything.
Vovosunt
Level 0

Lolcat

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 09, 2012, 04:04:59 AM »

That is the most amusing thing I have ever seen on TIG!  Hand Shake Left Addicted Hand Shake Right
The way the white-bear-ghost-thing moved upside-down up the pipe was hilarious XD

BTW, are the characters sprite-animated or do they have bones?
(Seems like bones, but I'm not sure...)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic