Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:47:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447236 times)
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: March 04, 2015, 09:39:56 PM »

Fun fact for Alphers: Pink lizes are SHIT at actually killing you half the time. If I get nabbed and dragged through some rooms by one all I have to do to stay alive is jam the ZXUpDownLR keys. It's interesting because I was "dead" for 2 FULL minutes, had the lizard dragged me across 7 rooms, then I wiggled free as we entered a new one :D

I have yet to see a Vulture or kill any creatures.

One thing I think I like doing it biting off the wings of the Bats, and then right before the head/body is consumed I tap X and throw it away like a rock :PPPPP I'm so morbid. Seeing the little eyes on the body everywhere is fun though Tongue

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: March 04, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »

Latest build is unplayable on my laptop Facepalm The last one had issues with the white background but this is a whole other level of weirdness
I had a weird startup glitch the first time too. See if running it a second time helps?

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3102 on: March 05, 2015, 02:38:13 AM »

Latest build is unplayable on my laptop Facepalm The last one had issues with the white background but this is a whole other level of weirdness

one of the reasons *we havent announced the build yet* is that we havent done much testing on lower spec computers. since you posted this, ive tested it on a few old / low end PCs that were laying around, and it seems to work fine on them (if a little slow.) it does require you to start it up, close the window, and restart to get the fullscreen running though.

can you describe the bug? i dont think there is much we can do now that we're in PAX mode for the next week, but will be good to know regardless.

oh and chris, if you want Vultures go to Chimney Canopy and RIP Evil
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:44:23 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: March 05, 2015, 04:28:52 AM »

Well now it seems fine(still runs slow for me though). But last night the entire screen was offset, so there was a huge black area on the screen (that the shader effects still interacted with, i.e. the silhouette of water droplets in the black area as though it were the same corridor.) & almost everything in the foreground wasn't rendered, but there were black box shaped entities, & the only way I could see the slugcat is when I passed under them, & even them I could only see however much surface area of the slugcat was in accordance to what these boxes were in size.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: March 05, 2015, 05:59:17 AM »

Well now it seems fine(still runs slow for me though). But last night the entire screen was offset, so there was a huge black area on the screen (that the shader effects still interacted with, i.e. the silhouette of water droplets in the black area as though it were the same corridor.) & almost everything in the foreground wasn't rendered, but there were black box shaped entities, & the only way I could see the slugcat is when I passed under them, & even them I could only see however much surface area of the slugcat was in accordance to what these boxes were in size.

I believe you're describing the bug James mentioned above with the game not working properly the first time you start it (and having to shut it down and reopen it for it to work in full screen properly).

@James: I really like the small/subtle changes you made to the previous build levels. The level design is great throughout and all the changes I've found so far have improved the existing design. Great work!

RainWorldIsAwesome
Level 0

Rain

View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: March 05, 2015, 06:48:41 AM »

Fun fact for Alphers: Pink lizes are SHIT at actually killing you half the time. If I get nabbed and dragged through some rooms by one all I have to do to stay alive is jam the ZXUpDownLR keys. It's interesting because I was "dead" for 2 FULL minutes, had the lizard dragged me across 7 rooms, then I wiggled free as we entered a new one :D

One thing I think I like doing it biting off the wings of the Bats, and then right before the head/body is consumed I tap X and throw it away like a rock :PPPPP I'm so morbid. Seeing the little eyes on the body everywhere is fun though Tongue

That biting the wings off bats and tossing them could be a viable strategy, especially if they're lots of bats flying through the room you can clip them toss them in a corner and catch more and then come back to eat them later. And maybe they should still be able to try to fly if one wing is clipped  Evil

Felius Limax
Venator Lacertae
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3106 on: March 05, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »

I believe you're describing the bug James mentioned above with the game not working properly the first time you start it (and having to shut it down and reopen it for it to work in full screen properly).

@James: I really like the small/subtle changes you made to the previous build levels. The level design is great throughout and all the changes I've found so far have improved the existing design. Great work!
I love how dense and overgrown the environments look now. Really nails that abandoned "industrial jungle" atmosphere

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3107 on: March 05, 2015, 12:02:13 PM »

Thanks thanks! Yeah some of those early Suburban rooms were among the first levels I did, and some are even from the lingo build! So definitely needed a touchup. That whole region will probably get some restructuring and reworking later down the line when it's placed in the context of the connected world, but this is definitely a step up from where it was.

As for the off centered bug, YEP that just happened the first time as the windo and shaders need a boot to align. Glad it works tho! White screen shader issue seems to be resolved too, which is a relief since Joar can't replicate it it was basically a stab in the dark XD

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: March 05, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »

That biting the wings off bats and tossing them could be a viable strategy, especially if they're lots of bats flying through the room you can clip them toss them in a corner and catch more and then come back to eat them later. And maybe they should still be able to try to fly if one wing is clipped  Evil
The thing about this, is that you don't get credit for eating a whole bat, and the head projective isn't hard enough to stun another bat.
It's more of a cosmetically fun thing to do Tongue
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:53:17 PM by cwearly1 » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3109 on: March 05, 2015, 12:39:36 PM »

Read through the first few pages again and it really is impressive how the game has evolved from this

to this

And to think, the game looks even more impressive now with the unique lizards
We need another lizard fight GIF for comparison  Well, hello there!

Also really impressive how true you guys have stayed to the original concept. It's been almost three years. I've seen projects take a hiatus and come back a few months later with a new focus or a new direction and whatnot. And here, from the get-go, it was all about animations and AI and the industrial environment and stealth.

Edit: James, I just saw your comment on YouTube about the teaser trailer music being from the game's soundtrack. Now I'm very happy that the digital soundtrack was part of the KS tier. I don't often listen to game soundtracks, save for Crypt of the NecroDancer and Hotline Miami, but I really liked that brief preview of Rain World's music
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:53:00 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3110 on: March 05, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »

Ohh, nice. From Adult Swim's Twitter

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: March 05, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »

When will the VR version out Well, hello there!

theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: March 05, 2015, 04:36:30 PM »

When will the VR version out Well, hello there!

I think that it was mentioned before, some several dozen pages ago. If I recall, it was that it would be pointless, seeing as Rain World is a 2d side scroller. Then again, I think that either James or Joar mentioned that it was a bunch of levels  on top of each other, (anyone remember that GIF?), so you could move them independently to create the illusion of depth. That could be fun in VR. Smiley
theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: March 05, 2015, 04:39:17 PM »

Read through the first few pages again and it really is impressive how the game has evolved from this

to this

Also really impressive how true you guys have stayed to the original concept. It's been almost three years. I've seen projects take a hiatus and come back a few months later with a new focus or a new direction and whatnot. And here, from the get-go, it was all about animations and AI and the industrial environment and stealth.

Edit: James, I just saw your comment on YouTube about the teaser trailer music being from the game's soundtrack. Now I'm very happy that the digital soundtrack was part of the KS tier. I don't often listen to game soundtracks, save for Crypt of the NecroDancer and Hotline Miami, but I really liked that brief preview of Rain World's music

Where is that bottom GIF coming from? I don't remember seeing it. Is that current gameplay? (I haven't played yet. Been prolonging satisfaction... JUST YOU WAIT WEEKEND!)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3114 on: March 05, 2015, 04:49:02 PM »

to this

Where is that bottom GIF coming from? I don't remember seeing it. Is that current gameplay? (I haven't played yet. Been prolonging satisfaction... JUST YOU WAIT WEEKEND!)
It's from one of the Kickstarter updates, and the current gameplay looks even better, due to the improved lizards and new environments

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: March 05, 2015, 05:38:10 PM »

Damn that Canopy level is... intense. I can't last more than a few minutes.

This is me spawning and immediately being chased back by a Pink and White Lizard who proceeded to kill me in my spawn area.

This is about 30 seconds after I respawned and Im cowering in the corner as a vulture flys off with a Lizard.

That same vulture came back shortly after for me. I stuck him with a spear and ran into a vent. The vulture followed me through the same f'ing vent. I died.

I want to point out I enjoyed myself, but I was quite surprised when the vulture followed me through the pipes... I assume thats WIP? Overall I'm really enjoying this updated alpha. Great work guys.

RainWorldIsAwesome
Level 0

Rain

View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:53 PM »

My discoveries:

New alpha notes

Suburban:

For whatever reason bats seem to swarm in den after awhile like if they get stuck.

Vultures can capture you hey don't kill you, I have to quit my game so that it gives me the option to restart.

Sometimes bats disappear through the floor.

Sometimes lizards go through tunnels that I can't enter.

"O" triggers SU_S01r : dev tools active, which reintroduces slow mo through the use of "A" "V" to move yourself and "B" to move lizards

For whatever reason pressing space with dev tools off makes a tentacle stretch out of all nearby vultures, this doesn't affect there movement but just extends for awhile.

The technique to escaping lizards has so far only worked on pinks for me, and everytime I do it seems to teleport me or "throw" me at a really high speed in a random direction.

With dev tools on pressing p brings up an additional menu with scrollable options by using the arrow keys they give you the options of
Slugcat
Lizard
Pink lizard
Green lizard
White lizard
Fly
Leech
Snail
Vulture
Garbage worm

Pressing "M" brings up some weird ass menu that makes your mouse into a positioned and adds some weird bars with different colors with occasional squares inside of them.

Still inside dev mode "W" does the weird movement thing. "V" teleports you to the cursors location.

"R" makes you restart.

Any explanation on how i can teleport stuff in :p i found that precious button so i can dangle lizards up in the air and spear them, nahh lol i just wanted to metion that this was in. i also have a slight problem i use wine on a Mac and once entering fullscreen mode i cant actually exit unless i go through this wierd procedure, but yeah, much improvement still super awesome watching lizards interact and what not.

Felius Limax
Venator Lacertae
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3117 on: March 05, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »

I mentioned it to Joar, but the vultures going through pipes is so weird. He said it wasn't a bug and that yes, they can follow you through pipes.

Idk, lizards make sense, but it kind of ruins the vibe a bit IMO when a big flapping alien bird squeezes its large body through a tiny pipe to follow you. I had hoped to be able to use pipes to outflank vultures so the fact they can travel through pipes as well just seems off
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:05:00 PM by Christian » Logged

RainWorldIsAwesome
Level 0

Rain

View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: March 05, 2015, 06:07:06 PM »

I mentioned it to Joar, but the vultures going through pipes is so weird. He said it wasn't a bug and that yes, they can follow you through pipes.

Idk, lizards make sense, but it kind of ruins the vibe a bit IMO when a big flapping alien bird squeezes its large body through a tiny vent to follow you. I had hoped to be able to use pipes to outflank vultures so the fact they can travel through pipes as well just seems weird

completely agreed i really dislike it too not because it makes it harder but because it kinda makes them overpowered not only are they fast and can fly but they also can get stuck in the pipes or end up getting stuck in a room to small for me and then  cant get past them without dying. in addition in the chimmney area were they occur cover is scarce anyways so its pretty hard to begin with.

Felius Limax
Venator Lacertae
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: March 05, 2015, 06:08:26 PM »

Idk, lizards make sense, but it kind of ruins the vibe a bit IMO when a big flapping alien bird squeezes its large body through a tiny vent to follow you. I had hoped to be able to use pipes to outflank vultures so the fact they can travel through pipes as well just seems off

Agreed. Felt like the pipe sucked the vulture in like a vacuum and generally seemed to defy all scientific laws. As I said, I assumed a WIP or bug when I saw it as it defied the visual and physical expectations my brain had created for what to expect when fleeing a gigantic bird. I'd assume you need the pipes just to help balance the power...

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic