Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:01:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1446567 times)
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: March 05, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »

Vultures can capture you hey don't kill you, I have to quit my game so that it gives me the option to restart.
i also have a slight problem i use wine on a Mac and once entering fullscreen mode i cant actually exit
Yeah that's my issue too, and I use a PC- it's locked into Fullscreen unfortunately. Have to ctrl+alt+delete to get out :/. 'ESC' key should exit the game or at LEAST minimize the window.

Sometimes bats disappear through the floor.
Are they going through 'bat grass'? which they can use to "teleport" between patches of grass? This has been in since Alpha1.

Sometimes lizards go through tunnels that I can't enter.
Yeah those are (I presume) Lizard-specific tunnels, the ones that you can "tuck" into but can't "go" through. The Lizards can move between them apparently, and they can have multiple exits within the screen, which I kinda like- it just adds to the challenge!

"O" triggers SU_S01r : dev tools active, which reintroduces slow mo through the use of "A" "V" to move yourself and "B" to move lizards
THANK YOU FOR FINDING OUT THE DEV TOOLS! I had jammed all the keys earlier today but musta missed the o and p.

The technique to escaping lizards has so far only worked on pinks for me, and everytime I do it seems to teleport me or "throw" me at a really high speed in a random direction.
And actually, you don't have to jam the keys while grabbed, but yeah the teleportation thing happens occasionally. Most of the time my lizard gets in conflict with another pink and it opens its mouth and I get a split second to escape.

LOVING THE ALPHA2 SO FAR :DDDDDDDDDD

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3121 on: March 05, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »

Anyone have any "oh snap" moments yet? I entered a room in Canopy. Two pinks are fighting each other below. I just crouch and watch, knowing that once I make a jump, they're going to see me. Then an infamous shadow streaks across the screen and I make a panicked jump, miss the platform and into the waiting mouth of one of the lizards. Then the vulture drops from above, snatches one of the lizards up, and then flies away off screen. That was cool

https://zippy.gfycat.com/MammothSpryHippopotamus.webm (Poor video framerate, but you get the video)

A bit later, poor slugcat becomes vulture food and gets carried away. The camera follows the vulture as it moves through the different rooms. As it reaches its upper nest/perch area, a white lizard stirs, attracted to the fresh slugcat meal in the vulture's mandibles. The tongue shoots out amd now the white lizard and vulture fighting off the slugcat. The white lizard moving around, firing its tongue from differnt angles, and the vulture moves this way and that leaving thruster smoke in its wake. Then a red lizard emerges from the pipe and attacks the white lizard. The two brawl and thrash about, tumbling off the platform in the struggle. The vulture finally deposits its meal and flies away
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:30:35 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
RainWorldIsAwesome
Level 0

Rain

View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: March 05, 2015, 07:05:39 PM »

Heh, I had a similar one were I was being chased by two pinks and then out of nowhere two vultures swooped down, and I was like oh I'm done now, but to my surprise they each snatched a lizard and flew away, it was really cool watching  the ecosystem In action, although hard it's pretty fun to pun vulture wings to the walls if anybody has tried it.

Felius Limax
Venator Lacertae
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3123 on: March 05, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »

Heh, I had a similar one were I was being chased by two pinks and then out of nowhere two vultures swooped down, and I was like oh I'm done now, but to my surprise they each snatched a lizard and flew away, it was really cool watching  the ecosystem In action, although hard it's pretty fun to pun vulture wings to the walls if anybody has tried it.
Haven't tried that yet

The best way to watch the ecosystem in action is to die. And then watch lizards go into absolute frenzy over your corpse, each one playing to their strengths to take the corpse for themselves. Best place is in Canopy, because then vultures get involved. Half the time, the battle will span across several rooms. It's so entertaining

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: March 05, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »

So the current alpha build is without sound right? Will there be an alpha with sound any time soon? (Or am I coming across some freak bug?)

And yet...I think I can hear the rain...seeing the sky going dark, the screen shaking and the lizards scuttering away from you is really, really ominous. Amazing job. Hand Clap Grin

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: March 05, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »

So the current alpha build is without sound right? Will there be an alpha with sound any time soon? (Or am I coming across some freak bug?)

And yet...I think I can hear the rain...seeing the sky going dark, the screen shaking and the lizards scuttering away from you is really, really ominous. Amazing job. Hand Clap Grin
annoying this Alpha is w/out sound as well :/ But you can always listen to the 12-minuteOST from way back in the meantime Smiley https://soundcloud.com/james_primate/the-sound-of-rain-world

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3126 on: March 05, 2015, 08:28:08 PM »

I think the game will need two things in the future:
1) more guidance towards other shelters. Nothing overt, perhaps signature architecture that lets you know you're getting closer to a shelter. Subtle signposting
2) more time between the sky darkening and the downpour. 99% of the time, I'm way out in the world and it's like "Damn, no way I'll be able to get back in time."

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: March 05, 2015, 08:34:42 PM »

1) more guidance towards other shelters. Nothing overt, perhaps signature architecture that lets you know you're getting closer to a shelter. Subtle signposting
2) more time between the sky darkening and the downpour. 99% of the time, I'm way out in the world and it's like "Damn, no way I'll be able to get back in time."
Or a kinda timer, or something, that lets you know when it's halfway between the cycle. You "should" be able to scurry yourself back JUST in time, and hopefully nab a last-minute bat on the way.

The hardest region for me currently is Drainage. SO HARD! But there's also a second shelter in it, fun fact. I just drown easily which is why it's so hard :PPP Sad((

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3128 on: March 05, 2015, 09:01:17 PM »

Or a kinda timer, or something, that lets you know when it's halfway between the cycle. You "should" be able to scurry yourself back JUST in time, and hopefully nab a last-minute bat on the way.

The hardest region for me currently is Drainage. SO HARD! But there's also a second shelter in it, fun fact. I just drown easily which is why it's so hard :PPP Sad((
Really wouldn't an actual timer onscreen. Maybe like a big lightning flash and thunder clap could signal the halfway point. Keep it in-game.

I haven't explored much in Drainage. Mainly because I often get stuck at this area here:

The second section in that room, as far as I can tell the only way to reach the vents on the right side is to jump across into that hanging gap. 99% I just can't make the jump and the times I do just barely make it, it feels like luck rather than having mastered a skill

And on that note, I have to say that I just can't get the hang of wall jumping. Two in a row is good. occasionally three, but beyond that, I can't do it.

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: March 05, 2015, 09:13:04 PM »

Really wouldn't an actual timer onscreen. Maybe like a big lightning flash and thunder clap could signal the halfway point. Keep it in-game.

I haven't explored much in Drainage. Mainly because I often get stuck at this area here:

The second section in that room, as far as I can tell the only way to reach the vents on the right side is to jump across into that hanging gap. 99% I just can't make the jump and the times I do just barely make it, it feels like luck rather than having mastered a skill

And on that note, I have to say that I just can't get the hang of wall jumping. Two in a row is good. occasionally three, but beyond that, I can't do it.
Lol that's because to get to the right you don't have to wall jump at all :PPP
And yeah, something in-game to signify the half-way point, OR an effect that tells you "the distance you are at from the den right this second will require you to sprint back to the den" or something.

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »

Lol that's because to get to the right you don't have to wall jump at all :PPP

http://i.imgur.com/ka8acMS.png

To be honest that part can be quite counter-intuitive, since you can't pounce on that narrow footing, and when you try to stand up and jump you automatically jump up and reach for the wall upwards. I'm not ashamed to say I've tried wall-jumping there a dozen of times before realizing a simple jump would suffice....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:01:01 PM by fall_ark » Logged

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: March 05, 2015, 09:52:29 PM »

To be honest that part can be quite counter-intuitive, since you can't pounce on that narrow footing, and when you try to stand up and jump you automatically jump up and reach for the wall upwards. I'm not ashamed to say I've tried wall-jumping there a dozen of times before realizing a simple jump would suffice....
Oh no I get that. For some reason I can always get through this screen, except for just a few minutes ago, so I can understand your attempt at wall jumping. There are some other areas that are "just out of reach" too in Drainage, so have fun with them Tongue

EDIT: too many quote tables :PP

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3132 on: March 06, 2015, 03:25:58 AM »

It's this part I mess up at

For some reason, I can't make that jump. I've tried wall jumping and jumping from the narrow section and I usually just barely miss it and slide down to the water. I guess I'm not timing the jump right.

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: March 06, 2015, 03:55:57 AM »

It's this part I mess up at
http://i.imgur.com/emNrGqn.jpg
For some reason, I can't make that jump. I've tried wall jumping and jumping from the narrow section and I usually just barely miss it and slide down to the water. I guess I'm not timing the jump right.

You can actually jump after leaving the platform a bit. Here are some unsuccessful and successful jumps for reference:
http://gfycat.com/ImmenseInsidiousIndianhare

Also just realized that after almost drowning you kinda close your eyes as if to catch your breath for a while. That's super cool Tongue
http://gfycat.com/InfatuatedFirmGalapagosalbatross

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3134 on: March 06, 2015, 04:10:51 AM »

I'm absolutely loving reading through all this  Toast Right

RainWorldIsAwesome
Level 0

Rain

View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: March 06, 2015, 04:39:53 AM »

Oh no I get that. For some reason I can always get through this screen, except for just a few minutes ago, so I can understand your attempt at wall jumping. There are some other areas that are "just out of reach" too in Drainage, so have fun with them Tongue

EDIT: too many quote tables :PP

I had lots of trouble with that too, and as far as wall jumping it is quite hard At first...  after practicing a crap ton of time I can do it fairly consistently but I agree it could be more forgiving like giving you more slide time.

Felius Limax
Venator Lacertae
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3136 on: March 06, 2015, 06:21:09 AM »

There are some areas in Chimney Canopy I haven't figured out how to reach yet. Saw them when the vulture was carrying slugcat away
That's my favorite region out of the four; the mix of tighter lizard-infested areas below and the open areas above gives it a nice amount of variety. And the color palette is a nice change from the look of Suburban, Drainage, and Industrial.

Another criticism I have is that it needs to be clearer which falls will kill you and which will lead to another room. In several places across Suburban, Industrial, and Canopy, if you fall off-screen, it's game over. But in other places, you fall and land in the room below.

Woodledude
Level 0

What does this text field do?

View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: March 06, 2015, 06:50:37 AM »

... It needs to be clearer which falls will kill you and which will lead to another room.

I agree. Usually, games that have these sorts of instant-death pits rely on the consistency of "going off-screen will kill you". However, those that don't usually have ways of indicating it - Taking Shovel Knight as an example, I believe death pits would get dark right where they met the edge of the screen whereas secret special rooms would have a glow in the same area.

I do have an idea that might help: These death pits should be themed to the area, with some indicator as to their being different from going off-screen regularly. For instance, in Chimney Canopy, I think it would be a nice touch to have any edges of the screen that lead to death have a sort of "visible wind". This works because in Rainworld, what moves is dangerous. If you see that the edge of the screen contains motion, you know that's not normal, and after a single fall to your death, the lesson would hopefully be hard set.

Same goes for the others: Have some sort of effect that moves, that explains the danger. In Drainage, we already have the leeches, and the developers are already using those to create very nice "almost maybe death" pits, which I quite like. For areas like Suburban or Industrial, maybe some bubbles, plants, or more wind could work, or even some sparking smoke, as if there were fire below.

I would honestly like the death pits to have the same kind of "gentle death" as the developers were talking about with making hazard areas with the leeches - At the very least, showing you how and why you died. For instance, falling into a flaming furnace, or a pit full of ravenous plants. For Canopy, it would be nice if, when Joar and James flesh out everything below Canopy, you could actually see your character fall through empty, windy screens, and hit the concrete or water below - Hard. Or maybe just have the screen get dark as you fall, and fall, and fall...

As a final note, I think the rain makes a nice exception to this. As has been discussed, the rain is an ominous, mysterious force  - We've explained away that it can shatter bone, but you never SEE it, and that's good. That sense of mystery makes the rain seem like the most dangerous thing in this world, which, of course, is good, because it supposedly is. Everything hides from the rain. You hide from the rain. When the rain kills you, you don't see. You don't know. You just die.  Evil

Having instant death pits that are *also* mysterious doesn't ruin the mystique of the rain itself, but it does subtract from it by taking away that sense of... Utter uniqueness, at least in the mystery of death. A lot of games have "mysterious death pits", and we've kind of grown numb to that now. Having Rain World rip away that preconception makes the rain, in my opinion, much more powerful.

Haven't played the game yet, so take this all with a grain of salt. I am VERY excited about it, though, as you can probably tell. Say, is the Alpha a backer-only thing, or can anyone pay into it?  Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:59:56 AM by Woodledude » Logged

Fledgling game designer. Be prepared for walls of text with little coherency and much rambling. Thank you for your time, and tell me what you think.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3138 on: March 06, 2015, 07:02:04 AM »

You actually do see the rain in the Game Over screen

Now that you mention it, I think that perhaps not seeing the rain might be more effective. Just have a final booming thunder clap, lightning flash, and then cut to black. And then the sound of the torrental rain over the Game Over screen. You'd never see the rain, only hear it
---
Right now, the alpha is backers only. Not sure when or if they're planning to allow others to purchase alpha access
---
But yeah visual indicators that seperate safe room boundaries from the instakill room boundaries could work well
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:22:25 AM by Christian » Logged

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: March 06, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »

For rain signposting, I wonder if ambient wildlife might be a good way to go about letting you know how far away the rain is. I know that lizards are aware of the rain cycle and start heading home to their dens at a certain point, but perhaps there could be more stages than that, sort of like an environmental, biological timer. If 0 is the beginning, and 100 is the rain comes, then perhaps at 25 there's some sort of signal (anemone creatures start retracting, whatever), then at 50 (the point at which you should probably start heading home) there's another, and so forth.

Gotta agree that vultures going through tubes seems a bit weird and counter-intuitive. I know they are the one break in the physics logic of the game, but its a step beyond where my suspension of disbelief is willing to go.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic