Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:04:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1443800 times)
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: March 30, 2015, 03:36:13 PM »

nobody said that the slugcat was male Who, Me?

Or even that slugcats are anisogamous!

this looks AMAZING. you have twitter? can i tweet it from the RW account? want to properly credit!

Shucks! Thanks so much James, and everyone else who said nice things. I've got a twitter account for my podcast, but I prefer to keep it separate from my design work. You're welcome to tweet it if you like, though! If you want to credit it, my name is Kirk.

I was thinking about how it was the attention to lighting that made the animated sequences of classics like Another World so beautiful. I think it turned out okay for a first draft! If I were to put more time in, I'd probably make the crack of light cut through the fade from black, smooth out the animation to a proper 24fps, and add some subtle animation on the slugcat (breathing, blinking, ear twitching, etc.) and environment (dripping water, some glimmering as water runs down the walls, etc.)

And because I was messing about when I should have been working today, here's a rough outline of a happy, well-fed slugcat, fast asleep:

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3401 on: March 31, 2015, 02:19:34 AM »

Quote from: tortoiseandcrow
Shucks! Thanks so much James, and everyone else who said nice things. I've got a twitter account for my podcast, but I prefer to keep it separate from my design work. You're welcome to tweet it if you like, though! If you want to credit it, my name is Kirk.

posted! liked and re-tweeted by many :D https://twitter.com/RainWorldGame/status/582716976407175169

New kickstarter update posted, if anyone is interested in a summary of the past months progress: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-world/project-rain-world/posts/1183701

kickstarter's handling of gifs seems to have really gone down the drain in the last overhaul im sad to say. the new UI is pretty bad too. worse than before if thats even possible :/

Things have been a little slow in level land. trying to get the new editor up and running was some fits and starts, but looks like the bugs have been worked out and 2x2s are on the menu. Joar made some good progress with the prop editor as well, and early test images with it seem to suggest that a lot is possible that wasnt before.  Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right

also we talked out a new creature that had been needed for Sky Islands that im pretty excited about, but i'll let him fill you in and show off demos when hes on Smiley

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3402 on: March 31, 2015, 03:22:44 AM »

Holy shit, tortoise, that art is amazing!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

And nice, new creature. Can't wait what you guys have thought up. Is this one based on a backer suggestion?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3403 on: March 31, 2015, 11:01:33 AM »

Just listened to jamesprimate music for the game, the atmosphere is really good and fit well with the game itself. I think you are going to make a good piece of art together.
@jamesprimate you produce great atmosphere in your musics.

Follow us on playfield
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: April 01, 2015, 07:33:29 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
That is nothing short of amazing! Thank you soooo much  Grin

Prop editor is coming together!

This isn't actual art, just me testing that the rotating props are working. A lot of potential though  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right
fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: April 01, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »

This isn't actual art, just me testing that the rotating props are working. A lot of potential though  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

That's a lotta Space Worms! Cheesy

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: April 01, 2015, 07:52:07 AM »

Haha yeah  Cheesy The real art James comes up with will probably look a lot different though.

Update 410

Sorry about it being a bit quiet! James and I have had several long talks about the direction of the game, and have decided on some pretty fundamental changes.

The big change is about the slugcats offensive abilities. We definitely felt that the game was lacking something, and it took us a while to figure out what. However, we came up with some ideas, and I've started on some basic implementations:

Not really done yet, I want to add some flying shells as well, but I'm really happy about the lighting effects  Smiley Obviously there should be sparks on impact as well, but I need to get some basic infra structure for the bullet physics down first.

Other than rocks and spears, we want to expand the slugcat arsenal in order to give the gameplay more variety. We want the new equipment to work with the world, so instead of just adding standard weaponry we have some ideas that are more in line. I don't want to give too much away, but other than this (admittedly fairly standard) machine gun, we want some sort of weapon that shoots spears as well - basically a spear bazooka. I've also made a few sketches of a rock grenade, basically a bomb that shoots rocks in all directions upon detonating.

This is really gonna change things up  Shocked Will be super interesting to see how these new pieces interact with the existing enemies. In order to make the enemies challenging, we will probably have to equip some or most of them with new offensive capabilities as well. I'd like for the lizards to have head-mounted machine guns, but we'll see what works.

Lot's of exciting stuff coming up!
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: April 01, 2015, 07:55:51 AM »

I can actually kill lizards now... Needs more doves flying overhead in slo-mo.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3408 on: April 01, 2015, 08:00:46 AM »

Hahaha, happy 1st. As long as the kraken has a frickin' laser beam attached to its head I think we can all be on board with where this is going

Jeddychan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: April 01, 2015, 08:09:12 AM »

This is really gonna change things up

Is it bad that I REALLY want to try that?

FLIPPIN' TABLE  TENNIS
(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯('□' ╯)
FTT Devlog

@Jeddychan
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3410 on: April 01, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »

Lol. You should add that to the txt file in the next build, would be fun to play around with

Although some kind of water dwelling urchin creature that fires its spines out like a spike grenade would be pretty cool...

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: April 02, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »

Upon closer consideration, we decided to go back to the original plan  Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Update 411
Apart from the editor I have been working on a new creature. I haven't made updates yet because I've been working on the behavior and haven't yet skinned it, and I know that what you guys want to see is gifs of stuff other than moving little boxes. However, the behavior is starting to finish up, so I thought I'd give you a little update on what's going on with that.

The new creature is based on a backer suggestion, and basically a mix between a flying squid and a cicada. It's roughly slugcat-sized and a very quick and proficient flyer. Here are some sketches, even though judging by how things have been going so far the actual implementation tends to end up not looking a whole lot like the sketches.

When experimenting I tried to make it so that it flies with its head up because the vulture already flies with its head down, but it looked a bit goofy and totally lost the squid-like quality, so I settled for a head-down design. A lot of what we had planned for the "buzzer", including quite a bit of how it actually looks, have ended up going into this creature instead. For the buzzer we have other plans, but as for how it will look that's a bit in the blue right now as this one ended up stealing a lot of its design particulars.

There are still a few things that are not decided on, such as exactly how the tentacles/legs will look like, and how long they will be.

However, the behavior is coming along nicely!

What I'm most excited about with this creature is that they're the first one that actively and purposefully migrates through the world on a large scale. Cicadas eat bats, and upon spawning in specific cicada den rooms they map out a route to a closeby active swarm room. Then they move there, through abstract or realized space. In the swarm room they hang out, hunting some bats. They can't eat bats on the fly like the slugcat, but rather have to bring them back to stow them in their dens similarly to how the lizards stow you in their dens and then re-emerges to hunt some more. After storing a bat, they head back to hunt some more if the rain timer permits it.

This means that between the cicada rooms and the swarm rooms there's a traffic of cicadas, travelling in one direction with bats in their clutches and in the other without. This stuff really works  Tears of Joy

The cicadas can catch bats in abstract space, dispose of bats in abstract space and move with bats through abstract space. So there can be quite long migration routes through several rooms, not all of which have to be realized, and traffic will still keep flowing. My early testing with this stuff is something I'm super excited about! Entering a room where cicadas are flying back and forth gives so much life to the game world, and following the route in either direction to see them hunt or dispose of their prey really adds to the sense of scale. You can feel that there's a process going on that is larger than just one room, and this is something I'm super happy to finally have implemented. Naturally you can also use this to your advantage by following the cicadas to the swarm room. Only problem is that then you end up in a swarm room which has cicadas, which is pretty annoying...

The cicada-player relationship is based around the cicadas viewing you as a rival in their bat-hunting. They won't actually hunt you, because they're too small to eat you, but they'll antagonize you. Their standard method of harassment is bumping into you with a quick charge attack or grabbing on to you and pulling you in some random direction, both of which is actually really dangerous in the Sky Island terrain where it's easy to fall to your death.

One thing I'm not done with in their behavior is that I want them to only attack you if you're actually close to a swarm room, but for that I need to do something I call Dynamic Relationships, which is a small AI rewrite I haven't gotten around to. Basically right now the creature relationships are all defined on startup and can never change during play - if one creature views another creature as prey it will always do so, for example. With the dynamic relationships I want to take that data and filter it through some context, such as "attack this creature only if it's close to a room of this specific type" or similar. This same system will also run stuff like the Vulture Mask (if you're holding it lizards are scared of you, otherwise they hunt you) as well as the individual traits (stuff like aggression can be weighted through the individuals specific setup) and the individual relationships (if you save the life of an individual, that individual might stop hunting you). Lots of exciting stuff when I get around to that, which will be soon!

As for now, when a cicada stores a bat in its den a new bat is spawned randomly in one of the active swarm rooms to keep bat populations up. For all of you food-web purists out there, sorry  Wink I'm fully aware I can't make this system balanced, and it's more important to me to keep the world active and looking like a balanced system rather than it actually being one.

The last note on the cicadas is that you can pick them up, similarly to how snails can be picked up. When you hold the cicada it will try to fly, and this grants you the ability to do long, floaty jumps. As it carries you, the cicada loses stamina, which is replenished when you're on the ground and it doesn't have to actively carry you. This means that you can't use the cicada as an infinite parachute, which is both a gameplay limitation and a rationalization of the fact that you still die from fall damage if your fall off the sky islands.

We've been talking a bit about how easy it should be to catch the cicadas, and we think we have an idea but it'll need some tinkering for sure. I don't want you to be able to just run into them and grab them as they're actively attacking you, or they'd sort of lose their role as a threat. The current idea is that when they're buzzing their wings you can't catch them, but if they're sitting on a wall or momentarily stunned you can.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3412 on: April 02, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »

Cool design! Should make bat hunting more tense and interesting

But wow, this sounds awesome
One thing I'm not done with in their behavior is that I want them to only attack you if you're actually close to a swarm room, but for that I need to do something I call Dynamic Relationships, which is a small AI rewrite I haven't gotten around to. Basically right now the creature relationships are all defined on startup and can never change during play - if one creature views another creature as prey it will always do so, for example. With the dynamic relationships I want to take that data and filter it through some context, such as "attack this creature only if it's close to a room of this specific type" or similar. This same system will also run stuff like the Vulture Mask (if you're holding it lizards are scared of you, otherwise they hunt you) as well as the individual traits (stuff like aggression can be weighted through the individuals specific setup) and the individual relationships (if you save the life of an individual, that individual might stop hunting you). Lots of exciting stuff when I get around to that, which will be soon!

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: April 02, 2015, 10:00:40 AM »

Neutral creatures! Rivalry! Non-lethal interactions! Grin

Even if they have no immediate effect on bat population, they'll probably influence how spawn room locations change/diminish between cycles. Though it seems that you guys don't want to make them too ominous, i.e. Mass-Effect-Reaper-level scary.

At least they don't try to eat you. Whole groups of these guys flying around and hovering would be really scary-looking. Cephalopods really creeps me out. Tongue

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: April 02, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »

Instead of (or in addition to) them being agressive towards you in certain rooms I'd suggest adding some reactions to the player behavior. For instance, if they see you catching a bat they will try to take it from you, instead of catching their own, and they will pull you away from bats in general, if you get too close.

Although those kinds of behaviors should really depend on their numbers. How many cicadas can we expect to be in a room simultaneously? If 1-3, then being generally agressive would make sense, but if more than that, then it may be a bit overwhelming to the player.

Also, do lizards and vultures eat them?

Edit: Also also, do their wings have to be so so cicada-like? I think it would be more interesting to make them a mix of dragonfly's long and thin dual wings and cuttlefish's single floppy surface.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:37:03 AM by Teod » Logged
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: April 02, 2015, 10:41:55 AM »

This is awesome!

As for now, when a cicada stores a bat in its den a new bat is spawned randomly in one of the active swarm rooms to keep bat populations up. For all of you food-web purists out there, sorry  Wink I'm fully aware I can't make this system balanced, and it's more important to me to keep the world active and looking like a balanced system rather than it actually being one.

If the bats are spawned randomly in any of the swarm rooms, does this mean that cicadas can decrease the population of any specific swarm room that they frequent (while the global population remains the same)? I kind of like the idea of being forced to move shelters because the cicadas have out-competed you on the swarm rooms nearest to your current home base.

Also, april fools joking aside, as far as offensive/defensive capacities go I find myself imagining scenarios where it would be awesome to have the ability to stab with a spear without releasing it, such as being trapped in a corner and trying to defend yourself/the pups from a vulture or something.

Also also, speaking of Dynamic Relationships, is there a point where if you cause enough trouble/pain for a predator such as the vulture that they'll cut their losses and retreat?
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: April 02, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »

Very cool. Love the dynamics behind the various interactions and AI. Daunting stuff you guys are doing.

Enjoy seeing what ideas the other backers came up with!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: April 02, 2015, 12:34:22 PM »

Don't forget that n creatures is interactions, it's exponential. Even though there is generalization that limit the number of link, it increase the scope of the game greatly, I hope you have planned for it? How many creatures there is in total? Maybe after a certain threshold required (such as backer's) you should set hard limit and treat everything beyond has bonus, as you might exhaust. It can be mitigated by creating and enforcing scenario that limit different species in the same place according to interactions limit.

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3418 on: April 02, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »

cuttlefly

Caravan: devlog | website
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3419 on: April 02, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »

Although those kinds of behaviors should really depend on their numbers. How many cicadas can we expect to be in a room simultaneously? If 1-3, then being generally agressive would make sense, but if more than that, then it may be a bit overwhelming to the player.
Dunno, it makes no intuitive sense at all for a creature to be more aggressive the fewer allies it has nearby. Do you have to have a fighting chance regardless of what numbers you're up against?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic