Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:58:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1421334 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: March 15, 2013, 05:06:27 AM »

I will give you literally tens of dollars.

jabbawocky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »

Well... you made Rock, Paper Shotgun. Congratulations!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/20/drip-feed-rain-world/
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: March 20, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »

Yeah, congratulations!
It was about time, anyway, well deserved attention  Gentleman

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 20, 2013, 03:32:09 AM »

Oh, wow!
I found out because my email was suddenly overflowing with notifications that people are subscribed to me on youtube... She says she hasn't been able to reach me, that's no good. I'll send her an email, I guess. Sooner or later I ought to make a website for this thing, so that stuff like reaching me won't be an issue.

To the people from Rock, Paper, Shotgun,

Welcome!
A few months ago I got the idea I should go to africa, and well, here I am. Because of this development of RW is somewhat slowed down, but I count on being back on a more regular schedule within a month.
Until then there's quite a lot of material back in the thread, if you're interested. Glad to have you on board!
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08:27 AM »

This is really beautiful and inspiring, keep up the good work!

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2013, 04:15:55 AM »

Pile on the list of people that think this looks great.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2013, 04:30:09 AM »

Now that you get more press attention, you may want to consider setting up a Press Kit()
It's free and really easy to create, thanks to the awesome guys at Vlambeer.

http://dopresskit.com/

Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2013, 08:19:02 AM »

Boy, I haven't logged in to the TIGForums for years - probably because they'd be absorbing 99% of my time with the awesome stuff that's going on.

Anyways, coming back to say that I find Project Rain absolutely adorable and my girlfriend, an albino-ferret-owner, loves it from the videos of the little ferret-like creatures alone.

I saw the game being mentioned on Rock, Paper & Shotgun and am looking forward to the upcoming interview with JLJac. To the finished game as well!

Perhaps you should try Steam Greenlight after it's finished. I bet the general public would love the concept just as much - the movement and animations are just brilliant, which means you achieved your initial goal of experimenting with them.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 20, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »

And I just realized I sent you something you already knew  Embarrassed I'm stupid and shoulda read the thread first  Big Laff

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: March 21, 2013, 06:45:07 AM »

Hell yes! That is awesome guys.

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 21, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »

Okay. This game is looking stellar! Can't wait to see how this all turns out.

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 21, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »

Oh wow, the movement is awesome.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »

had a quick play, love the minimalism Smiley
Sir, with all due respect, your post worries me a little. I don't remember putting out a public demo, and I remember spending almost a year implementing a gazillion details, so if all of those have dissapeared and given way to "minimalism" I have a problem.

Lol whoops, this post was meant for the game Risk of Rain, not Rain World. Lips Sealed This game on the other hand looks wonderfully maximal in all facets. Well, hello there!

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 22, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »

I don't know if it's already been said, but what are you programming the game in?

keepee
TIGBaby

ommmmmmmmmmm

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 22, 2013, 02:06:17 PM »

Signed up just to say I absolutely adore the design of this game..!
I'm about three quarters way through my own game but I feel the end is getting ever further away the more things I want to add or fine tune.

I found this page to be a lot of wisdom, by the creator of spelunky:
http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game

Good luck!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 23, 2013, 12:45:18 AM »

Thank you all for being interested!

The game is created in Macromedia Director and written in Lingo (At first I considered writing the game in iron-age runes on stone slabs, but then I settled on going with a slightly older and more traditional development environment).

It's very hard for me to estimate how far through development I am, as I've made the estimation "50%" about seven times already. Today I am definitely beyond 50% though, as pretty much the only things I can think of are: The menu, some more art, four-player support, joystick support and the menu art. If not on the final 10% I'd say I'm somewhere in the final 20-30.

At this very moment I'm living under very african conditions (I can literally see goats outside my window when writing this), which I have taken as an excuse to keep development on hold. Fact is I probably just really needed to take a break from the project, after one year + of development.

Very soon I'll move from the small town to Accra, and start at a desk job and live in an apartment. Then I'll try to get back to a strict minimum 1 hour a day schedule. Likely things will go quicker than expected then, as I'm fully confident in how to do all the remaining things that have to be done, it's just a question of sitting down and doing them.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: April 04, 2013, 09:21:02 PM »

what! i leave town and rain world gets featured on rock paper shotgun??

i should leave the house more often  Tongue

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 08, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »

i should leave the house more often  Tongue
Hehe! The universe doesn't work that way ~  Tongue

People, I'm slowly getting back on my feet after a mild case of malaria  Epileptic
And now I bring you update... eh... where were we?

Update 133
Today I implemented saving and loading. The game has two save files, one for co-op play and one for single player. The files are encrypted, so you can't mess around with them. If there's no file the game will create one etc etc.

As you get back to the den after a successfull hunt the game is automatically saved, and when you hit "Continue" in the main menu it's picked up again.

Things seem to be working out just fine. Objects that are moved will, for example, be found at the same place after loading. Lizard are a little more complicated, as I don't want them to be found at the same place after loading. Pretty much the only data I want to save with them is their health, otherwise I'm happy with them emerging from their holes as if they had never existed before. I guess the easiest approach to this will be to just loop through them on save and delete all data that's not health-related.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »

What on Earth do I need to do to help you test this?

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »

People, I'm slowly getting back on my feet after a mild case of malaria  Epileptic

You are a true adventurer! Beer!

It's great to see you picking up speed again, I am really curious to see where you are going with this.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic