Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:40:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1421618 times)
TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4100 on: July 03, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »

So this must be how the alien overlords fell...

And/or where...

Even though it's been said many times before, I too am baffled at the sheer amount of detail in this project; Keeps it interesting to the last drop! Keep it up o/

- - - -
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: July 03, 2015, 11:47:08 AM »

Are those alien words actually creatures, that would so cool if that was the case Tears of Joy
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: July 03, 2015, 01:28:45 PM »

Are those alien words actually creatures, that would so cool if that was the case Tears of Joy
I think it's better to keep that ambiguous. All those totems and creature- and face-like structures may actually be creatures and totems, or they may just look like ones. Or they may not actually look like that, but slugcat thinks they do and we see the world through his eyes.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: July 03, 2015, 10:44:10 PM »

The cool thing with ambiguity is that they can be if you want to! You think that explanation is cool, so you can project that onto it, but someone else might think something else is cooler, and they can project that Grin James and I have our ideas about what's going on, but that's hardly relevant - art happens in the observer, or however that saying goes. What is relevant however is how we implant some patterns that create a half-visible fragment of context throughout the world. The "project what you want" thing is only fun as long as you think that you're on to something, if you find out that it's just a grey glop of ambiguity to project your own ideas on you'll just be very annoyed when you eventually see through that bluff *hrrrmm* So it's all about a balance - we will have our ideas about what's what, but keep it quite blurry, and you'll be able to map your own understanding on the world and hopefully find some interesting connections between one thing and the other, while never being outright told what's going on. Wish us luck!

Update 448

Salamanders!

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4104 on: July 03, 2015, 11:20:09 PM »

Those salamanders look amazing. I love the tongue attack, looks so good.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: July 04, 2015, 01:33:13 AM »

Question: I've started looking at lizard voice now, and want to do something similar to what happened in the lingo version where the animation responds a bit to the audio. Ie I want audio visualization. I've been glancing a bit at this but it seems to be a bit too unity-specific and seems to utilize the unity UI rather than a code interface. What I want is basically a thing that is hooked up to a unity audio source, and then you can ask it for volume and maybe pitch of the sound it's playing right now. This looks a bit leaner and maybe better, but I'm really wanting for some documentation for these assets - just a list of what methods you can call on them, that sort of stuff. Am I just being stupid for not seeing some button that bring that stuff up or something? There's gotta be something like what I want in the asset store, but the asset store appears pretty pig in a poke to me - I can't seem to find much technical details about exactly how the stuff works without buying it. Maybe because they're written in C# and could pretty much be re-created by any unity user; an explanation of exactly what it does would be giving away the blueprint...?

Any experienced unity users that have some tips about light-weight, code-based audio visualization? Or just about how the asset store works haha? Jimym GIMBERT?
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: July 04, 2015, 02:04:55 AM »

A related question: is it allowed to buy a unity asset, but then not use it in its entirety but instead pick it apart to get the pieces you want? Or just look at how it works and partly re-create the same solution?
papaonn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4107 on: July 04, 2015, 02:31:54 AM »

Wow this is so cool, very unique graphics you have there!

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4108 on: July 04, 2015, 02:48:17 AM »

A related question: is it allowed to buy a unity asset, but then not use it in its entirety but instead pick it apart to get the pieces you want? Or just look at how it works and partly re-create the same solution?

I can't imagine that would be a problem. You would have to follow the license for asset as a whole, but using it in order to look at the scripts and see how it functions sounds absolutely fine. Double-check with the license, but doesn't sound like an issue to me.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: July 04, 2015, 07:05:18 AM »

Usually unity had a spectrum function to do that ... however looking it up while making this asnwer mark it with obsolete wit no clear replacement, I'm confused ...
What version of unity are you using?

However here a bunch of link, there is plenty tuts on the net and youtube that explain how to do that, you get spectrum data as an array of float which represent intensity of frequency and use that in your code to make the game react to sound. I wonder if there is a frame delay?

http://www.41post.com/4776/programming/unity-making-a-simple-audio-visualization

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/detecting-musical-notes-from-vocal-input.316698/
http://www.kaappine.fi/tutorials/using-microphone-input-in-unity3d/
http://www.kaappine.fi/tutorials/fundamental-frequencies-and-detecting-notes/

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/generating-track-with-audio.291170/
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-to-accurately-calculate-audio-decibels.321764/

confusing deprecation in script reference (seems to be norm in unity sub 5 version)

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AudioListener.GetSpectrumData.html
http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AudioSource.GetSpectrumData.html

I wonder if it has to do with the newly introduced audio mixer

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4110 on: July 04, 2015, 10:24:42 AM »

Thank you gimmy! Once again your assistance paved the road to glory  Tears of Joy
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: July 05, 2015, 07:55:50 AM »

Ninja Hand Thumbs Up Right

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: July 05, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Cool

Update 449

Lizard vocalization is in! For each sub-species there are 5 audio triggers that can be used to give different individuals a randomized voice. On top of that they randomize a specific pitch and some other variables from their ID seed. Each lizard gets a "phrase" - a sequence of pitches and volumes - and the sounds it actually makes are combinations of a few pre-set phrases that depend on context, and this own individual identity phrase. For example, when reacting to a noise that the lizard doesn't know the source of, it will make a sound that pitches up slightly towards the end to signify surprise or curiosity. That would be the curiosity pre-set phrase, and it's blended with the lizard's individual phrase to determine the final sound.

The idea behind this is that the combination of a randomized sound trigger (basically a selection out of 5 samples) and these pitch and volume modulations will make each lizard sound a little bit unique, while at the same time making it so that the experienced player might get a bit of a clue as to what's going on from hearing the sound.

It seems to be working pretty well ~ it definitely needs some tuning, but the technicalities are basically in. When two pink lizards have one of their dominance battles you can (or at least I can, haha!) differentiate two different voices creaking at each other.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: July 06, 2015, 05:14:06 AM »

To celebrate the upcoming 450th update, you should consider sending out a new build with all this goodness...

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: July 06, 2015, 06:20:26 AM »

To celebrate the upcoming 450th update, you should consider sending out a new build with all this goodness...
Lol, was just thinking of asking of when the next alpha is planned for testing too Tongue

Not impatient, just curious how the dev's going Smiley

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4115 on: July 06, 2015, 12:06:01 PM »

A hands-on of the E3 build from Pocket Gamer
Nothing really that regulars wouldn't know. Well maybe the fact that the game will have unique set piece rooms? Don't recall if James and Joar mentioned that here
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:11:36 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: July 06, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »

Thanks Christian! Grin A perfect summary of what we're striving for!

On the subject of releasing a build, we're actually at a pretty bad stopping point right now - lots of stuff that's half-implemented... But I'll talk to James about it, we're definitely excited to show you guys the progress when we get to a spot where we can do so!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4117 on: July 06, 2015, 12:17:06 PM »

If anyone has any questions about the E3 build and regions/species in it, feel free to ask.

Thanks Christian! Grin A perfect summary of what we're striving for!

On the subject of releasing a build, we're actually at a pretty bad stopping point right now - lots of stuff that's half-implemented... But I'll talk to James about it, we're definitely excited to show you guys the progress when we get to a spot where we can do so!
No problem. Rain World is a game I can just write and write (and write) about

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: July 07, 2015, 07:41:03 AM »

Update 450

Big sea monster under construction!

This scene is actually under water as you can see from the floating slugcat, but I turned the water sprite off to see what I'm doing.

My inspiration for this thing is that fear you get from seaweed when swimming - the fact that it's a lot of floating flaps in constant movement makes you uneasy because you can't tell what's what. The idea is that this thing, partially obscured by the water shader, will cause the same sort of discomfort, combined with the fact that it's huge. Tail and all it's about two screens long!

As of now it's not as dangerous as it's scary (not that it can even grab you at all, but just from testing whether it's able to move up to me and boop me with its head) so it might need some sort of extending mouth parts to make it live up to its appearance.

For the behavior I have several things I haven't decided on yet, such as if it will hunt you near the surface or not. On one hand it would be cool if it never came up to where you could see it clearly, because if you never get a good view of it it will remain ominous. But it's really cool when it breaks the surface and creates a bunch of waves as well, so idk!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4119 on: July 07, 2015, 07:52:34 AM »

Update 450

Big sea monster under construction!

This scene is actually under water as you can see from the floating slugcat, but I turned the water sprite off to see what I'm doing.

My inspiration for this thing is that fear you get from seaweed when swimming - the fact that it's a lot of floating flaps in constant movement makes you uneasy because you can't tell what's what. The idea is that this thing, partially obscured by the water shader, will cause the same sort of discomfort, combined with the fact that it's huge. Tail and all it's about two screens long!

As of now it's not as dangerous as it's scary (not that it can even grab you at all, but just from testing whether it's able to move up to me and boop me with its head) so it might need some sort of extending mouth parts to make it live up to its appearance.

For the behavior I have several things I haven't decided on yet, such as if it will hunt you near the surface or not. On one hand it would be cool if it never came up to where you could see it clearly, because if you never get a good view of it it will remain ominous. But it's really cool when it breaks the surface and creates a bunch of waves as well, so idk!
Well...shit...just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water

An extending mouth could be terrifying
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:29:06 PM by Christian » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic