Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:16:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1443907 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4280 on: July 25, 2015, 02:02:22 AM »

You guys don't even know how much I am in love with this logo  Tears of Joy

Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: July 25, 2015, 05:04:39 AM »

I flipped back and forth between this one and the one with distorted letters and came to conclusion that this font really is better. Good job.
Rojom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: July 25, 2015, 05:50:02 AM »

This looks nice. Good decision ignoring all of us haha Shrug
Laukku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: July 25, 2015, 07:05:09 AM »

I personally hope that slugcat doesn't become canon. The posing and (off-model) proportions are way too Cal Artsy, the kitschy style of which clashes strongly with the aesthethics of the rest of the game. Less fat legs at the minimum please. I think the scarred one in the usual logo communicates the tone of the game fine.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: July 25, 2015, 07:18:40 AM »

I don't know. Right now there's a pretty major disconnect between in-game SlugCat and logo SlugCat, but I prefer the logo one. I think the main factor for this is the fact that the hind legs are almost invisible in the game, whereas they're very distinguishable in the logo. If you decide to change the in-game SlugCat, my recommendation is to make its limbs fade to a darker grey at their end, to be able to distinguish them better from the tail and the body. This also stays in line with the rest of the game since gradients are used often IMO.

Also, fat legs are a plus IMO, they give the SlugCat a grounding which his character needs.

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: July 25, 2015, 07:54:13 AM »

I'm a bit in the opposing camp as well. The in-game design oozes of otherworldliness. It's not only in the graphic design, but also in how the limbs automatically react and reach to surrounding terrains. The way its legs reach for places to grab on and the way it dangles while jumping are very non-rodent, almost like reptiles. While in the new arts it's a bit too human in terms of its movement and postures (mostly the arms I guess). It's like Mewtwo with Frieza's tail. Feels a bit...generic I guess?

Speaking of which, is there any new style art of the slugcat crouching/moving on the ground? The current batch feels more like a small-sized tribal humanoid than a wild animal, but maybe that's just because we're only seeing it standing upright.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: July 25, 2015, 08:22:38 AM »

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: July 25, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »

It's a great choice. Love it.

Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: July 25, 2015, 09:42:36 AM »

I don't know. Right now there's a pretty major disconnect between in-game SlugCat and logo SlugCat, but I prefer the logo one.

Also, fat legs are a plus IMO, they give the SlugCat a grounding which his character needs.
I agree with that. I remember reading (in this very thread, if I recall correctly) that the game was originally designed with a lot of pipe-crawling and tight corridors, with only occasional open areas. You can see that on the old videos and screenshots. But later it turned out that open areas are just more fun to play in, so the balance between those types of terrain has shifted.

It seems that the slugcat model being made back then simply doesn't represent current state of the gameplay, while those sketches do.

However, I'm not sure if i agree with you about coloring the character. "Slugcat white" may look a little bit cartoony, but it makes the character distinct against noisy environments, which is kinda important for the gameplay.

Any pattern becomes way less recognizable when upside down. Look at

, for instance. When I first saw it I couldn't figure out what he's drawing until he flipped it, and that's a face - pattern humans have evolved to recognize best. When looking at an upside down logo most people won't even instantly get that it's a creature. They may, looking at it for a few seconds, but those few seconds are vital. Hell, that was the reason the logo needed to be redesigned in the first place.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: July 25, 2015, 09:49:08 AM »

Any pattern becomes way less recognizable when upside down. Look at

, for instance. When I first saw it I couldn't figure out what he's drawing until he flipped it, and that's a face - pattern humans have evolved to recognize best. When looking at an upside down logo most people won't even instantly get that it's a creature. They may, looking at it for a few seconds, but those few seconds are vital. Hell, that was the reason the logo needed to be redesigned in the first place.

I'm going to step wayyyyy out onto a limb and say I don't think Jim was actually suggesting that as a logo. I think he was just insinuating slugcat looked like a stripper working a pole... Or do I have just a dirty mind?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: July 25, 2015, 10:28:07 AM »

no stripper nor suggestion, just pure jest Cool

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4291 on: July 25, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »

ROFL

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4292 on: July 25, 2015, 11:17:42 AM »

I mean those are some pretty sexy thighs

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: July 25, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »

Well this thread went places.

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: July 25, 2015, 02:37:43 PM »

That's a pretty sleek logo you've got there! I think that this is a really flexible and stylish solution. I am kind of missing the colour scheme you had in the old logo - it was really nice and distinctive. Hopefully that will make it into the art direction for the rest of your design materials?

A couple of minor typographic details stand out to me: I think the legs of the "R"s need to be set slightly further apart, because with the large counter they look really top-heavy right now. Also, I think the "W" should either have both sides sloped, or should be trimmed more on the left - the asymmetry is nice, but either needs to be slightly more pronounced (as in the "A") or removed entirely. Right now it seems a bit ill proportioned.

The illustration is also really lovely! Good call on the illumination, though the flat tones seem less like a deliberate design choice and more like an image compression artifact (unless it actually is a compression artifact, in which case disregard everything I am going to say next). That could probably be resolved by reducing the number of tones in the shading, by adding some more texture (as in the fur shading on the original slugcat illustration), or perhaps by re-drawing the image to bring out the "pixel art" quality (though I'm not certain how well that would mesh with the smooth lines of text).
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: July 25, 2015, 03:31:43 PM »

Couldn't help myself:

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4296 on: July 25, 2015, 03:34:59 PM »

Couldn't help myself:

Solid white looks off IMO

Could you do one with the rain background and unaltered slugcat?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: July 25, 2015, 03:46:14 PM »

we have a new winner to my heart, that white mock up with rain that looks like wear and tear is spot on, maybe the heavy rain is the tears of the ripped souls of the fallen civilization  My Word!

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: July 25, 2015, 06:59:12 PM »

I'm not fully sold on the silhouette myself, but it was a bit of fun. I just kind of wanted to explore the versatility of the logo. More important to me is the minute font adjustments, because I'm a tremendous type nerd:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: July 25, 2015, 11:03:52 PM »

The remix with the rain is very Sin City like, and while it looks nice I'm not sure if Frank Miller fits the context that well.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic