Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:36:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1446365 times)
Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: July 29, 2015, 01:19:19 AM »

Does the "spiderblob" only have that one locomotion mode? Would be great to see it "shuffle" on folded legs and then unfold them gracefully when it needs to get over something, or wade through deep water. WOuld be a nice surprise moment if you caught it in the act.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: July 29, 2015, 05:34:00 AM »

Dose legs... omg
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: July 29, 2015, 07:58:07 AM »

Does the "spiderblob" only have that one locomotion mode? Would be great to see it "shuffle" on folded legs and then unfold them gracefully when it needs to get over something, or wade through deep water. WOuld be a nice surprise moment if you caught it in the act.
Would be pretty interesting to see it wrap its legs to its body, and roll around like a bowling ball Tongue

Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: July 29, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »

Would be pretty interesting to see it wrap its legs to its body, and roll around like a bowling ball Tongue

Ooh ooh, or maybe it could shuffle along on its "knees" with the rest of the legs dragging along like tentacles, but which can actually spring into rigidity when needed...
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: July 29, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »

Yeah the idea is that it will usually lay around sort of like a walrus, but if you get too close it shoots up on its legs Smiley

Update 460

Working on antlers... At first I tried to draw them by hand, but that looked kind of meh... Also it wouldn't allow for individual antlers for each rain deer.

So I decided to take the most difficult path possible and randomize a 3D tree shape and rotate it, hahaha  Tired

Pretty happy with the result though! There is a few problems with disconnected branches, but the general impression is cool and it does allow for each rain deer to have a unique set of antlers Smiley

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: July 29, 2015, 02:41:12 PM »

Wonderful Smiley !

Seeing flocks of them walking in the background (prerendered or keyframed?) would probably be nice ^^
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: July 29, 2015, 02:47:20 PM »

Seeing 3D objects in the context of this game feels weird. I always thought it will stay 2D only. Doesn't it go against the art style?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: July 29, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »

These kind of look like really freaky Pennys from the tv show Gumball.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: July 29, 2015, 02:50:18 PM »

@Chromanoid, Oh that's a nice idea! I'll think about possible implementations!

@Teod, to me it seems to fit pretty well! Maybe I'll tone down the general rotation and keep it to a brief moment when it's actually turning around, but right now I'm just really happy to see it working so I'd like to look at it for a bit longer ~

Some more messing around and I found out that a bit of color difference goes a long way in conveying which horn is which, and also enables you to see that the two antlers are slightly different:

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4349 on: July 29, 2015, 02:55:09 PM »

Antler fade looks great I feel the far limbs should have the same effect.
Pretty jealous of your limb physics here.

Keep it up. Gentleman

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4350 on: July 29, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »

You could have the antlers snap to like 10-degree increments if you're dedicated to preserving to 2d-ness of the art style.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4351 on: July 29, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »

Seeing 3D objects in the context of this game feels weird. I always thought it will stay 2D only. Doesn't it go against the art style?

RW has always been 3d, or at least faux 3d:

im deeply in love with this raindeer btw. in context its going to look stunning.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: July 29, 2015, 07:38:30 PM »

raindeer ... nice

What would be cool if there was birds or bats flocks that fly around and stop on the branch, you know like oxpecker ... bright red oxpecker  Screamy

Rojom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: July 29, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »

@Chromanoid, Oh that's a nice idea! I'll think about possible implementations!

@Teod, to me it seems to fit pretty well! Maybe I'll tone down the general rotation and keep it to a brief moment when it's actually turning around, but right now I'm just really happy to see it working so I'd like to look at it for a bit longer ~

Some more messing around and I found out that a bit of color difference goes a long way in conveying which horn is which, and also enables you to see that the two antlers are slightly different:

Looks great, but the thing that bugs me is that while the antlers rotate, the head doesn't. The head remains at the same angle when facing left or right. I trust you already know that, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.
Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: July 30, 2015, 12:55:50 AM »

I think the antlers should be locked to a 2d plane parallel to the screen, and only rotate through that plane when the creature is turning. Fading the rear set to give depth is enough to give a sense of depth.
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: July 30, 2015, 01:57:43 AM »

I think the antlers should be locked to a 2d plane parallel to the screen, and only rotate through that plane when the creature is turning. Fading the rear set to give depth is enough to give a sense of depth.
That may be a bit of an overkill. Especially considering the fact that they're mostly symmetrical - the closer one will be covering the further one almost entirely.
I think they should just have some more stabilization (both horizontal and vertical), so they don't swing around with every move like they do on the gifs.
lobstersteve
« Reply #4356 on: July 30, 2015, 03:43:24 AM »

oh god  Kiss
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: July 30, 2015, 05:24:49 AM »

This is supremely gorgeous.

I think that the two separate tones for front and back antlers keeps the rotation from being too obvious, while still maintaining that stunning fluidity of movement. I hope you don't dial it back too much, because the swaying gives such a sense of weight and momentum to these beasts.

The one thing I'm noticing is that the rotation of the antlers when it turns around doesn't always make sense given the rotation of the body. In that latest gif, the head looks like it rotates clockwise while the body turns counter-clockwise, as though the head were attached via a socket joint rather than vertibrae. Which might be a cool thing to run with (biomechanics!), but to make it look natural or deliberate you might need a "collar" or some other feature to distinguish the head from the body.

What would be cool if there was birds or bats flocks that fly around and stop on the branch, you know like oxpecker ... bright red oxpecker  Screamy

That would be very cool indeed!
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: July 30, 2015, 06:52:05 AM »

While that would look kinda cool, that would also be cliche as hell. I'd prefer if the creature was more original. I really hope the rest of the design isn't reindeer-ish.
The one thing I'm noticing is that the rotation of the antlers when it turns around doesn't always make sense given the rotation of the body. In that latest gif, the head looks like it rotates clockwise while the body turns counter-clockwise, as though the head were attached via a socket joint rather than vertibrae.
The body is 2D solid-colored. The direction of its rotation is entirely in your head.

Also, how do these guys move between the rooms? They're too big for shortcuts and they aren't flying. Another highway type?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: July 30, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »

Well the idea is like that: it's gameplay, redoxpecker (not necessarily bird any weird alien animal, it's just the reference concept) live in family and are territorial and defend who ever try to jump on the back of the pacific raindeer and have a free ride on, when raindeer eat sluggrass after a short time there is white sprout on the antler, which the redoxpecker feed from, hence why they are territorial, lone oxpecker also try to invade and chase out a family on a raindeer's back to get their place and make a new family. You can eat baby redoxpecker.

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic