Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:48:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1446515 times)
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4380 on: August 02, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »

I love this walker, really organic movement. Great work so far on the game, it's looking super interesting and gorgeous.

Twitter: @nickd3000 - Mos Speedrun 2 - Physmo.com - The Dungeoning
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: August 02, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »

Thank you Smiley

Update 461

Big worm grass!

Contrary to the small stuff, this is not just a sticky nuisance, it's instant death  Shocked

The main difficulty here was performance - originally I thought the worm grass was just going to be here and there in small patches, but James picked up a liking for it and wanted to use it in much larger quantities, which did cause a lot of framerate issues. Also it wasn't quite dangerous enough for the huge fearsome fields he was making. The two birds with one stone solution was to make the worm grass transition to this super worm grass in larger patches, which also works a bit differently than the original worm grass - rather than tracking the pull of each worm it works tile by tile, creating a more classic gamey "lava" effect; basically if you fall down there you die.

We plan on making large swaying seas of this, with the rain deer striding across it. I think it's gonna look really cool!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4382 on: August 02, 2015, 01:30:42 PM »

of course the follow-up question should be, can we ride atop raindeer to safely cross the wormgrass fields?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: August 02, 2015, 03:34:52 PM »

of course the follow-up question should be, can we ride atop raindeer to safely cross the wormgrass fields?
This sounds awesome.

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4384 on: August 02, 2015, 06:08:53 PM »

Every time I check back at this thread I'm overwhelmed by how amazing this game is getting. That Spiderdeer thing is incredible and disturbing.

adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: August 03, 2015, 12:17:41 AM »

How would you otimize performance on something like that?
Lilou84x
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: August 03, 2015, 12:31:24 AM »

I couldn't help but thinking in Limbo when I look at Rain World. Don't get me wrong, i love Limbo and this ferret-ghost like creature, so it would be awesome to see how will it end. But notice that too Smiley

See you!
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4387 on: August 03, 2015, 03:13:56 AM »

you have to make the walker impale you like in limbo

So long and thanks for all the pi
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: August 03, 2015, 03:46:23 AM »

What if it just looks scary, but turns out to be friendly?

Just like the story that elephants aren't afraid of mice, they're just worried that they might accidentally step on them.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: August 03, 2015, 10:20:54 AM »

Well, hello there!

Every time I check back at this thread I'm overwhelmed by how amazing this game is getting. That Spiderdeer thing is incredible and disturbing.
Thank you! I really like your pixel art Smiley

How would you otimize performance on something like that?
Mostly by culling them if off screen, and by having the interaction be tile based rather than worm-by-worm.

Update 462

Puffball spore bombs!

Let me know how horrible an art style breach you guys consider this. The low color count is maintained - it only uses 2 colors, but it uses dithering which I haven't been messing with before.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: August 03, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »

Eh, I guess my main complaint is that they don't look very alien. Other than that dithering is perfectly fine for smoke effects.

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: August 03, 2015, 10:30:10 AM »

Update 462

Puffball spore bombs!

Let me know how horrible an art style breach you guys consider this. The low color count is maintained - it only uses 2 colors, but it uses dithering which I haven't been messing with before.
Two colors/dither (which can't really even notice) looks just fine. Fits great Smiley

So what are the implementations for this item? 'Smoke' is gaseous explosion, and it deters enemies?
Also, the "fuse"/string should be affected by gravity, right? Or just make it a solid rod. Simple lore: the 'stem' grows off trees, and the ball is its flower.
Brb, creating Wiki page Tongue

Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: August 03, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »

Puffball spore bombs!
I would like to see the same gif, but with a lizard and his vision heatmap.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4393 on: August 03, 2015, 10:55:38 AM »

Update 462

Puffball spore bombs!

Looks great, although I kind of feel the spores should settle to the ground in a visible layer rather than simply fade away. Or maybe even make the slugcat's hide a bit dirty for a short while if you run through the cloud?

Echoing Chris, what's the use? Some kind of poison/stink bomb?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: August 03, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »

Maybe make them living things. Like living throable exploding jellyfish.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4395 on: August 03, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »

Echoing Chris, what's the use? Some kind of poison/stink bomb?
'Smoke' is gaseous explosion, and it deters enemies?
I'm just asking specifics. Is it a visual scrambler, an olfactory deterrent, or simply a scare-tactic that adds just a few seconds for escape? Obviously it's an item for combat, just wondering the affect/effect of using it Smiley

Further, what if the player/an enemy fell on top of one of these? Could the force make them explode on impact? Would be pretty funny to see a Lizard fall, then scare its own shit out of it and run away like a startled cat Tongue

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4396 on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »

what fun would it be if we explained everything on the threads? Tongue

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: August 03, 2015, 11:39:20 AM »

what fun would it be if we explained everything on the threads? Tongue
Lol, I know. It was half rhetorical, half I love this game and want to know every nook and cranny of it so I can't stop with the questions Tongue

charliecarlo
Level 1

The Duke of Dementia

View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: August 03, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »

Quote from: JLJac

Personally, I think it looks great.
Perhaps make the stem naturally curve down toward the ground, though, it looks a bit odd jutting straight up like that.

EDIT: Sorry; wrong quote.
</beingadunce>

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: August 03, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »

The smoke is a very interesting effect. What exactly is going on there? It's not just loads of particles, right?

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic