Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:05:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1444143 times)
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 14, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »

This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen, why have I not heard of it until today?!  Waaagh!
All the animations are so smooth and delicious!

By the way, I read way earlier in the thread that lizards do a sort of head vibrate with particle effects to indicate they heard something?  If they still do that, why not make them cock their head up and listen,

?

That sounds way more readable.  Grin
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 15, 2013, 03:05:24 AM »

Started experimenting with giving the four players small, small differences. See if you can spot them!

hahah I've always thought it was a mouth too XD

maybe the eyes are what is making it seem a bit cutesy. in the sprite version the eyes look so EMPTY, like "I've seen some shit".
Lol!  Cheesy
Yeah, wanna get to that empty stare...

Somehow, I have never seen this project until now. I just read through the first 18 pages + the last few, and I'm feeling a little blown away.

The effects look great, from the hanging chains and wires to the light bloom that you have in some pics. Gameplay of course looks amazing as everyone has pointed out, I love how the animation blends into the actual mechanics, which look very fun in their own right.

I think the decision to go with a hub world won't have as many downsides as you predict (or at least, predicted). Maybe the time of day and such won't be able to change, but by manipulating the tile set you can still get a feeling of progression - one area is more or less stony/industrialized/etc.

Also, I tried the runnMaze2 demo, but it seemed kind of glitchy. I couldn't figure out how to jump with either player (tried all the usual candidates), and with the brown character, movement was mapped to ESDF instead of WASD, which - if intentional - seems very, very unwise.

On a final side note, it turns out a game I've been working on for the past month-ish is very similar to this, with the notable exception that yours is far better. :/ Oh well, I guess it will give me some ideas on how to make my game, ie, avoiding the stuff you're already doing - I don't want to make a total ripoff.

edit: Jump is K/Q? Why...

Sorry about the unconventional choice of keys... When I made that thing I was too lazy to look up the key codes for stuff like shift and control, so I mapped all the controls to letter keys instead Tongue The actual game has customizable controls.

I know that the game is feeling a little bit hacky, and that's sadly just the consequence of me not being the best programmer and my software being old and limited. This game will be far from perfect, but I hope people will be able to look past the sometimes amateurish execution and appreciate the things I have accomplished and am proud of. To me just making a game is an accomplishment in itself, be it with glitches and hacks.

On the hub world stuff I've solved it in a strange way - there's an area in the middle of the map that's underground. Around it are different areas, with different sun/weather conditions. You can't pass from one area to another without passing through the underground area. That way different times of day/weather conditions can exist, but you never have the super-obvious thing where you go from one screen to the next and the weather changes, as the underground always works as a buffer. It's a stretch, I know, but I have high expectations on my audience's willing supspencion of disbelief Wink

I wish you the best of luck on your project, and am much looking forward to seeing what you're up to. Will you be starting a devlog any time soon?

This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen, why have I not heard of it until today?!  Waaagh!
All the animations are so smooth and delicious!

By the way, I read way earlier in the thread that lizards do a sort of head vibrate with particle effects to indicate they heard something?  If they still do that, why not make them cock their head up and listen,

?

That sounds way more readable.  Grin

Thank you! When it comes to the body language of lizards, I too would like for it to be subtle like that, and believe me, I'm the first one to get involved in tiny little details! However we're talking about very small sprites here, and when a player is moving around they're not currently looking at the lizards, but at their own avatar. I had to make what's going on in the lizards' heads more loud and obvious, why I added the particle effect. That said, a lizard that hears a sound will change the angle of its head and freeze for a moment before setting off to investigate.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46:30 AM »

Started experimenting with giving the four players small, small differences. See if you can spot them!

These look great! Just adding that pixelation seems to abstract them enough to make them mysterious. And the scarring is totally cool.

Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 16, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »

Kiss

My favorite is the yellow one, if he survived whatever caused him to have two huge scars under his eyes, he can survive anything!
by MSLF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 18, 2013, 03:10:56 PM »

btw do you plan on making an online multiplayer too?

"Either you have an action method or you're irrelevant."
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 19, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »

Sorry, no. Not unless the game reaches a level of success where someone else re-codes the whole thing for xbox or something  Wink

Update 145
We now have a fully functional, and not too ugly-looking, options menu. You can set advanced graphics on and off, you can set the music and sound volume, you can change the screen resolution, and you can change the input for all four players. The icons for the buttons are not done, they should look like something sensible and not right pointing arrows. Speaking of which, can someone come up with a good symbol for "Define keys/joystick buttons"?

Except from defining keys you can also define the joystick input, which has its own screen which was a horror to create:

Here you can not only define the buttons, but also test them, so as to not have to start a game everytime you try to find out which is button 14.

In theory we have a working 4-player game with customizable joystick support. In practise I have no idea what we have, as I'm far away from home and don't have a joystick or three friends to try it.

James, do you have a gamepad?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: May 19, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »

I do! Xbox 360 controller thing. send it over!

by MSLF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 19, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »

btw this pink color looks a lot like white. and... it's pink!
is this color option more or less set in stone? how about some other choice in it's place, like gray?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:17:50 PM by by MSLF » Logged

"Either you have an action method or you're irrelevant."
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: May 19, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »

Except from defining keys you can also define the joystick input, which has its own screen which was a horror to create:

That is too awesome. Checking buttons was always a nightmare.

In theory we have a working 4-player game with customizable joystick support. In practise I have no idea what we have, as I'm far away from home and don't have a joystick or three friends to try it.
If you need any extra help, I've got 4 wired controllers and people to play it with. Smiley

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 20, 2013, 03:39:30 AM »

Hahaha the insanity! Someone with 0 posts on the forum, meaning they created the account for this only, just sent me this in a PM:

Would something like this do the trick ?

Sorry for quality, pixel art on phone is not easy :D

And indeed, it would do the trick. I'll redraw it myself though. Thank you so much, stranger :D

btw this pink color looks a lot like white. and... it's pink!
is this color option more or less set in stone? how about some other choice in it's place, like gray?
The pink was a temporary thing, but then it kind of stuck. But you're right, I might need to think twice about it. Gray is no good though, as the backgrounds are grey.

I do! Xbox 360 controller thing. send it over!
Yes sir!

If you need any extra help, I've got 4 wired controllers and people to play it with. Smiley
Maybe... I'm always hesistant to sending the game to people I don't know, but your offer seems very tempting... However, James needs to check two things first: That it recieves Joystick input at all, and that it's possible to move the character with a joystick.
nikolail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: May 20, 2013, 03:54:37 AM »

Ye, guilty! Thank you for awesome devblog.
tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: May 20, 2013, 06:56:41 AM »

This project looks very cool, going to follow this  Blink

LOUD
Level 1

Wait a few sec ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: May 20, 2013, 07:11:10 AM »

I really want to try this game !
Can you share a working prototype please ?
(the link in starting topic don't work)

After i will make some feedback ^^
Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 20, 2013, 08:16:14 AM »

I've uploaded my copy so you can play it too.

Also, this is my first post on this thread but I've been following this for a long time, and I just wanted to say that it's amazing and that I've been inspired by it so many times I've lost the count.

I honestly can't wait to play the final game!

edit: I've just played again through the movement prototype and damn, I love the organic feeling it has.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: May 20, 2013, 08:01:41 PM »

Maybe... I'm always hesistant to sending the game to people I don't know, but your offer seems very tempting... However, James needs to check two things first: That it recieves Joystick input at all, and that it's possible to move the character with a joystick.
No problem. I understand that entirely. Just let me know if you do end up needing the extra help. Always happy to test out a game and send back some feedback. Grin

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: May 20, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »

just emailed this to JLJac, but heck, since people are interested why not loop everyone in?

"Yessss, joypad/joystick works! Controls are a pretty fluffy (as you assumed, anything other than a direct up/down/left/right on the pad makes problems), but the stick moves the lil guy around and i was able to change buttons and such. Not bad considering you are doing it blind!"

also, he has a really impressive amount of customization for controls and sandbox mode. you can basically do... anything.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 22, 2013, 04:30:02 AM »

Yeah, sandbox mode is gonna be fun. It'll keep track of flies caught, eggs captured, lizards killed and so on, and just present the numbers without choosing an official winner - that way you can play with/against each other towards whatever goal you agree upon. It'll allow you to play on any map against any lizards, and you'll have full control over all the settings.

Update 146

Buttons:

And a little animation for the player:

This one is not going in the game, which is animated with programming, but is for the menu. The custom game screen has the four players standing at the bottom of the screen, and they can be clicked to switch between awake and sleeping to determine which players are in for the game. This is the transition animations between awake and sleeping.

In other news I moved the player colors from being hard coded in the player object to being defined in a list at startup. This means that they are now teoretically completely customizable, though I doubt I'll let people set them with RGB-parameters, liero style. Maybe you will be able to find a collectable in single player that unlocks new color choices? I don't like things like that too much as they're slightly out of canon - it's hard to tell whether they are actually supposed to be part of the world or if they're a gamey thing slapped on for the players. But it does add a little replayability.

I became a little bit tired of all the menu stuff and spent a few minutes adding a new object, a bait. Basically it's the same as a rock, except you can't throw it for damage and when it sits on the ground it attracts flies. It's funny how easy it is to add stuff like that compared to how annoying it is to just add a new button in the menu. The bait likely won't have a big role in the game at all, but maybe it'll be somewhere on the single player map just for fun.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: May 22, 2013, 04:35:50 AM »

This game's atmosphere is really creepy, in a good way

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 22, 2013, 10:33:38 AM »

Thanks, I guess Smiley

Here's a pic of some new graphics I implemented today:

(Click for full size)

Just add James's music  Cool
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: May 22, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »

Thanks, I guess Smiley

Here's a pic of some new graphics I implemented today:

(Click for full size)

Just add James's music  Cool

OH MAN. THAT PIC.

so cyber sexy.

also i want to go on record saying that i really like the pink character. but, hey maybe i just like pink things.  
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic