Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:45:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1421622 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: May 22, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »

Those new graphics are looking great.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:11 PM »

Absolutely beautiful.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: May 22, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »

Man, that image is incredible. Are the fans on the side animated?

nikolail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 25, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »

I must agree, art style is so unique in top of being beatiful!
Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 25, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »

And a little animation for the player:

Would this possibly be used while the game is loading, too? It'd make a cute loading icon!

nikolail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 27, 2013, 11:30:02 AM »

Would this possibly be used while the game is loading, too? It'd make a cute loading icon!

Excellent idea lad!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 30, 2013, 01:44:29 AM »

Man, that image is incredible. Are the fans on the side animated?
Sorry, nothing is animated :/ The whole thing is just one big picture, that takes about 10 minutes to render. The sunlight is able to fade back and forth though.

Excellent idea lad!
At this point there's no loading time longer than one or two seconds, so hopefully that won't be necessary.

Update 147
I've been doing a lot of work, but it hasn't been the interesting kind of work, which is why I haven't been posting. For example I re-wrote the code for how lizards behave in relation to eggs, so now it's more or less working again. I also moved one of the filters that's applied to the levels - earlier it was applied when saving the level, now it's applied when tha game loads it. It adds a few fractions of a second to the loading times, but it cuts the size of the level files in half.

Other than that I've been doing a little bit of level design, for the tutorial levels actually:

There will be three of them, and they'll teach you how to run, crawl, jump and climb. When you're finished with them you'll enter the hub world, and won't be able to return.

Apart from all this I've started to modify the level editor in order to support a big change - a function that will render all the levels in one long go. The process will probably be several hours, but I hope that it'll be able to do it in the background while I use the computer for other stuff. What I've gotten done so far is: 1, the level editor is now able to render a level without showing it on the screen, speeding up the process somewhat. 2, the level editor now saves and loads the light mask. Earlier you had to re-draw what parts of the level you wanted to be lit and what parts should be in shadow every time you wanted to render it. Being able to render a large number of levels with the press of one button will make the creation and modification of bigger chunks of the hub world much more effective.

Edit: The mass renderer is up and running! I can select an entire list of levels and it works its way through them. I figure it's torture to the processor and RAM, but it's possible to do other stuff (such as writing this) while it's rendering. It's always an awesome feeling when you get a powerful dev tool working.

Edit edit: Aaaaand there's a bug. -.- Gotta track it down.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:27:49 AM by JLJac » Logged
nikolail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 30, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »

It's always an awesome feeling when you get a powerful dev tool working.
Edit edit: Aaaaand there's a bug. -.- Gotta track it down.

*Snort* hHehEe *giggle* Sorry lad, but that is seriously funny  Grin

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 31, 2013, 05:31:34 AM »

Hehe! Got it to work Tongue

Another interesting thing that happened yesterday was that an extension I used suddenly became aware that it's actually a trial version, out of nowhere. And for the trial version I'm only allowed to use two functions, so I was robbed of the cryptation function I'd been using for the save games.

However, I used my brain and decided that I was perfectly able to understand how basic string cryptation works, and wrote the functions myself. Basically, I convert each character to its ASCII number, and add to that number the corresponding character in the key string. The decryptation works the same way, but with subtraction.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to decrypt this, especially if the key is short enough to see it repeat, but honestly, if you're gonna go through that trouble you're welcome to mess with your save file. The only thing I want is for it not to be too tempting to just open up the save and give yourself 10 000 spears.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 01, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »

Update 148
Created some counters for stuff such as kills and eggs captured. If you throw a spear on a player or a lizard it's counted as your kill. If you throw a rock at a player or a lizard causing it to fall off the map it's also counted as your kill. If you throw a rock at another player and he's eaten by a lizard before his stun wears off it's your kill, but I don't know about that one as there are many other ways to kill a player indirectly, which are much harder for the computer to recognize. For example you can kill someone by blocking a corridor, and then the question is raised whether that kill should somehow be attributed to you as well? idk...

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 03, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »

Lizard-egg behaviour:

Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 03, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »

Kiss
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: June 03, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »

wow looks great  Hand Thumbs Up Right Smiley

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: June 03, 2013, 04:54:56 PM »

ah my god this is so greattttttt
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: June 03, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »

All the animations are so smooth. Looks great!

Quite the defensive creatures, those lizards.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: June 04, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »

Egg addition is looking great.

Ashkin
« Reply #476 on: June 04, 2013, 12:20:06 AM »

Love how protective that mama lizard is. The way it actually looks distraught and focuses on taking the egg back to the nest rather than eating you makes it feel a lot more alive.
Ant
« Reply #477 on: June 04, 2013, 12:35:46 AM »

i love everything

everything
devi ever
« Reply #478 on: June 04, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »

The character movements are absolutely mesmerizing.  Wizard Hand Metal Right
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 04, 2013, 04:11:28 PM »

I still can't get over how life-like the lizard's animations are, you sir are a genius! Gentleman
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic