Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:50:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1446535 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: November 11, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »

Djikstra map is a use of Djikstra pathfinding, ie precomputed path on a map hence the name.

Also famous for this rant: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD10xx/EWD1012.html

But yeah most people use the length/width (let's call it displacement) instead of position1/position2
I prefer position (inclusive) for what I want to do and make a converting function when necessary. I had a lot of problem when making an irregular tiling generator with using  displacement because I like to do useless fancy thing Who, Me?

metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: November 11, 2015, 09:05:27 PM »

you can eliminat the ambiguity by storing rectangles as x,y,width,height.

rdriftwood
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: November 13, 2015, 04:31:10 PM »

Don't think of it as the coordinates representing the tile. Think of it as the coordinates representing the intersection of lines.

8,5 makes sense because the exact corner of the rectangle is at its upper left, same as 4,2. If you don't look at it as squares and count the "start" of the rectangle as an intersection of lines 4 and 2, counting by the lines between tiles makes it feel a little less 'wrong.'

It doesn't really matter which opposite corner is included vs excluded in the rectangle, as long as one is and the other isn't.
ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4943 on: November 14, 2015, 07:37:12 PM »

Loving the progress guys!

Can't wait to play

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4944 on: November 17, 2015, 05:26:34 AM »

the bar keeps getting raised guys  Cheesy

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4945 on: November 17, 2015, 07:06:44 AM »

the bar keeps getting raised guys  Cheesy
Staring to feel the first symptoms of Rain World info withdrawal
 Who, Me? WTF Epileptic

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: November 17, 2015, 07:23:28 AM »

First stages? I've got full on shakes here man, I need my fix!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: November 20, 2015, 01:06:06 PM »

This region has so much stuff. So. Much. Stuff. Like, four regions worth of new stuff.

I have been in absolute agony not to be able to post two or three specific gifs I have over here  Shocked

Tell them James! Tell them how much stuff there is O__O
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: November 20, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »

214.52 stuffs to be exact

Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: November 27, 2015, 11:41:13 AM »

First stages? I've got full on shakes here man, I need my fix!

I'm 7 days clean and finally feeling normal again Smiley
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4950 on: November 28, 2015, 05:28:57 AM »

This region has so much stuff. So. Much. Stuff. Like, four regions worth of new stuff.

I have been in absolute agony not to be able to post two or three specific gifs I have over here  Shocked

Tell them James! Tell them how much stuff there is O__O

way too much stuffs, its crazy. i used to be proud of how many rooms there are but at this point its just ridiculous. were well over 1200 screens at this point WTF

this new region is about the size of 4 of the earlier regions and absolutely PACKED with new visuals and mechanics. its mind blowing. fortunately though... it is coming to an end!!!

were doing a bit of smoothing work and debugging right now, but by the end of this weekend region 12 will be a WRAP!! meaning that after over a year of solid level work, 12-16hrs a day pretty much every day, ALL REGIONS ARE NOW COMPLETE and we can start into the next phase  Tears of Joy Tears of Joy Tears of Joy i cant even tell you what an insane relief this is.

next steps will be polish pass, where we go through and touch-up the earlier regions and add narrative / context / setpiece stuff. but thats easy, just spruce things up here and there using our new toolkit. nothing remotely like having to create distinct, internally-consistent, playable architecture and layout for an open world of 1200+ screens from scratch. while thats going on we should be able to post normal updates too, which will be nice. we miss you guys/gals!

but first we are taking a bit of a break. next week Joar and i will be on the same continent (a rare occasion!), so were going to hang out and plan all the final bits and pieces. WE MIGHT ACTUALLY FINISH THIS GAME SOON  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: November 28, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »

How long have you been working on it?

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4952 on: November 28, 2015, 10:42:41 AM »

1200+ rooms, I believe makes this the second largest metroidvania, just behind Knytt Underground (1800+ rooms)

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: November 28, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »

Wow. Are you still planning on including an in-game map?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4954 on: November 28, 2015, 12:43:14 PM »

We have one in the devtools already that uses realtime data from the actual map files, but it'll probably take some creative effort to make it work in the context of slugcat land in a way that doesn't seem super HUD awkward. We have some ideas though! since the mechanism is literally already in there, I'm pretty confident we can make it happen

Spadkins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: November 29, 2015, 04:33:34 PM »

WE MIGHT ACTUALLY FINISH THIS GAME SOON  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Does that mean that the game might see an official, public release sometime in the next few months?? Hand Knife Right Well, hello there! Hand Fork Left
Congrats on everything, by the way. I just caught up on the last 50 or so pages of the devlog and its always crazy to me seeing how much high quality work you two can get done in such a short timeframe. Can't wait to buy this.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4956 on: November 29, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »

it'll still be a *little* while. we need to polish everything up, get all the progression mechanics tied in, balance the damage system, UI and menus, finish the music and audio, do some heavy QA etc. BUT all that is pretty straight ahead compared to what we have been doing. so yeah sort of! you'll very likely be seeing some announcements about release timeframe soon  Beer!

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: November 29, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »

it'll still be a *little* while. we need to polish everything up, get all the progression mechanics tied in, balance the damage system, UI and menus, finish the music and audio, do some heavy QA etc. BUT all that is pretty straight ahead compared to what we have been doing. so yeah sort of! you'll very likely be seeing some announcements about release timeframe soon  Beer!
So while I presume the alpha testing is done, will there be beta testing "soon"?

banal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: December 02, 2015, 02:05:03 AM »

Hälsningar från finland!

ok, finally finished the devlog! Bit late to the party, but I'm here! Man, so close(?) to release too.

I will provide some input now whether you like it or not, and I know it probably won't matter since you've finished most things!

ok, critique:
The deer I feel is off. The legs drag too close to the ground when moving, I feel like they should retract more before extending again for each step. Also sometimes it seems as though its center of gravity is not within the area of it's feet on the ground, taking 3 dimensions into account. It looks slightly weightless.

The plants could really do with not being static

If you still have that jump sound, change it.

That's all I have to critique! The rest is fucking beautiful Shocked Kiss Kiss. I can honestly say this is the most I've ever anticipated a game, and you've also inspired me so much.

Ax = Ax - (getToDiag-diag)*dirX*0.5
  sAx = sAx - (getToDiag-diag)*dirX*0.5
  Ay = Ay - (getToDiag-diag)*dirY*0.5
  sAy = sAy - (getToDiag-diag)*dirY*0.5
  Bx = Bx + (getToDiag-diag)*dirX*0.5
  sBx = sBx + (getToDiag-diag)*dirX*0.5
  By = By + (getToDiag-diag)*dirY*0.5
  sBy = sBy + (getToDiag-diag)*dirY*0.5
function end

What you see is, separated by the empty rows: Adding the velocities to the positions, applying air friction and gravity to the velocities, retrieving the data necessary for the "binding" of the two points, and finally applying the bond. The points are now freely moving, but will always keep the same distance to each other, and forces applied to one point will realistically transfer into the other. As long as you draw the points after this has been done, they will always be displayed with the correct distance between them.

You see the "0.5"s after each row in the last section? Those mean that if there is a difference between the desired distance and the actual distance between the points, this point will stand for  50% of the movement made to correct the distance. If you tilt those numbers, so that for example point A stands for 85% of the movement and point B for 15% it will appear that B is significally heavier than A. If you make it so that the sum is less than 100% you will get an elastic bond, like a rubber band. You might want to tone down the movement of the actual positions in this case, and focus on the velocities. Other interesting choices you can toy with is to only affect the points if they are further away from each other than the desired distance, or only if they are closer.[/size]

What you're describing is a proportional controller! This is like THE most useful tool for making smooth graphical transitions and generally making stuff get where you want it, it's also great for smooth menugraphics.

For future reference, you might want to look into controllers in general (It's one of the best uses for video games I've gotten out of my unfinished engineering degree), there's P-controllers (proportional), I-controllers (integrating) and D-controllers (derivating). You can combine them for something called a PID-controller and oh boy stuff just moves like a charm.

The controller itself is usually one line of code which uses the error function, which is what you describe as:
difference between the desired distance and the actual distance between the point

for a proportional controller you just move the variable being controlled with the error function multiplied by a constant, but as the error function gets smaller, you're moving things less, so you may need to add:
 - an integrating component, which will sum up all the error functions for each step (tick) and use that value multiplied with a constant to get closer to the reference value (if this component is too strong you will end up with some springy behavior, which might even be desirable).

OR

- a derivating component, which takes the derivative of the error function being controlled and multiplies that by a constant. Basically think of this as slowing down before coming to a red light, your speed (derivative of position, also the part of the derivative of the error function (r-position)) is high, so you add less position to your variable (position).

basically the line will look like this:

derivative=variable-oldvariable //or whatever way you want to calculate the derivative
error=reference-variable
integral+=error   //integral would be (probably) an instance variable
variable+=error*constant1+integral*constant2+derivative*constant3

integral will have to be set to 0 if you reset the variable or manipulate it, otherwise it will have "charged up" with the errors from before
You might want constant3 to be negative

wow, that's a lot of text! It's all hoping it might help you! Joar, you are an incredibly talented programmer, and you've done things I'd never dream of tackling (at least before reading this devlog). Then reading through the devlog you sometimes ask questions about something that I thought must have been obvious to you. Don't take this the wrong way but that inspires me. Never stop being amazing guys.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4959 on: December 05, 2015, 10:43:12 AM »

Hey, Rain World was just shown on stage at PSX, during the Adult Swim montage

Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic