Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:27:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1446914 times)
Janeator
Level 0

Slugcat mecha cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: December 05, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »

Yeah I just came here after reading https://twitter.com/acarboni/status/673210892536832000... so what's the news?

Looking at Irkalla and Rain World
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4961 on: December 05, 2015, 10:50:15 AM »

Yeah I just came here after reading https://twitter.com/acarboni/status/673210892536832000... so what's the news?
Coming to PS4

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: December 05, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »

Coming to PS4

& N64 support in the future! :D
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: December 06, 2015, 12:29:05 AM »

Coming to PS4
Is that really news? I thought PC, PS4 and PSVita were confirmed platforms long ago.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: December 06, 2015, 12:40:29 AM »

Coming to PS4
Is that really news? I thought PC, PS4 and PSVita were confirmed platforms long ago.
It's new to me that it's "new" news. Hah, those platforms have been stated on the Wiki since it was made Tongue

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4965 on: December 06, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »

Coming to PS4
It's new to me that it's "new" news. Hah, those platforms have been stated on the Wiki since it was made Tongue
Actually, before, the confirmed platforms were PC, PS Vita, and "PSN". PS4 hadn't been confirmed till yesterday

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4966 on: December 06, 2015, 05:20:44 PM »

Yo! Yeah this has all been in the pipeline for a bit, but it takes soooooooo long to make it official and go through all the proper channels! Even now, with it being shown onstage and in the official PlayStation videos and all that, there are STILL quite a few hoops yet to jump. But hey it's officially official: PS4 and Vita

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: December 06, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »

I'm assuming Xbox One is out of the question then.  Would love to see it come to it, but I guess there's some kind of console exclusivity deal going on.

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: December 06, 2015, 06:58:31 PM »

I'm just waiting for an official site with correct information and a preorder function so I can go around telling people to buy this game Tongue

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4969 on: December 07, 2015, 12:04:15 AM »

I'm just waiting for an official site with correct information and a preorder function so I can go around telling people to buy this game Tongue

VERY TRUE

adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: December 07, 2015, 01:40:45 AM »

I'm assuming Xbox One is out of the question then.  Would love to see it come to it, but I guess there's some kind of console exclusivity deal going on.

I think Unity could also export to Xbox One with ease. Maybe there have some tweaks to be done but since Rain World isn't exclusive to the PS4 on consoles a Xbox One release shouldn't be a huge problem.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4971 on: December 07, 2015, 04:37:11 AM »

Nice to see Rain World in the

video.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4972 on: December 13, 2015, 01:41:36 AM »

Hello friends! We are back from a week of brainstorming with a pretty solid plan for completion, as well as some significant progress on new fronts. Joar will be back to devlogging tomorrow, so in the meantime ill bring the log up to date a bit so he can hit the ground running. Pardon, most of these images are big so might need some scrolling.

Food UI

This is something that has been discussed a lot over the course of the devlog, but now its actually in the game and functional (amazing!) Replacing the old "number appears over the head" when consuming bats and other foods, now we have this minimal circles and lines system that will appear and disappear from the bottom left:

I think its a little large right now, but thats super easy and we'll play with that a bit later. Simple UI, but gives us a clear way of communicating some key things beyond just "food eaten":

just ignore the typo on "demarcates"  Cry

Map UI

This is a biggie and im sure there will be opinions. As much as we'd like it to be otherwise, given the ridiculously huge size and complexity of the game world it would be heinous to not include a map function for the player.

Here is an early mockup of the map overlay:

Fairly self-explanatory, the map will fill in as the player moves through the world and the red circle indicates the location of the player. Food sources that are discovered will be indicated on the map, as well as possibly locations of player deaths and other important information. Left shoulder button will bring up the map, and D-pad movement will switch to map scrolling, allowing the player to plot new routes, see areas they may have missed, etc. Time will proceed as normal when in the map (so player can be eaten or rained on, etc), so the background will be semi-opaque, allowing to player to see if a predator is sneaking up.

One thing that we are concerned with is avoiding a situation where the player “plays” the map, running around with it semi-opaque, or quickly tabbing in and out like its a HUD, etc etc. Our concept for this is something like the slugcats visual memory, which requires some time and concentration. So the idea is that the player finds a safe place to hide for a minute or two and think hard about where its been. The map will appear at first to only be the nearby surrounding area and far off locations will take a little while to fill in, etc. This vibe stuff will be dealt with after the map is functionally implemented so we'll talk more on that later.

Problems:

Here is what Joar has in the currently implemented version:

Looks decent so far, but one thing you will notice is that it still seems pretty blockly... like a series of interconnected single screen rooms. because thats what it is  Cry Thats not the visual impression we want to give, and its going to be a bit of a biggie to fix. We want to move the world map from its current room by room layout into visually cohesive region maps that show consistent movement through 2d space. And heres how we plan on doing that:

**Heavy Industry Map spoilers ahead**

Here is a shot of the current crude devtool map for Heavy Industry region:

Notice that there are plenty of chaotic connections and bits that dont make sense on a 2d plane. Thats my fault. Initially the game concept was "popping in and out of rooms of vague distances apart, and not necessarily all on the same axis" rather than the current "large structurally cohesive regions on a 2d plane" concept that we've evolved into.

Fortunately, with minor adjustments, it starts to make more sense:

And you can imagine that adding a connecting room here and there will make it even more clear.

Since Ill be going back through the levels and regions in polish pass anyways (starting today!), part of my work will be remixing the earlier chaotic regions into these more structurally cohesive forms. Joar will then take these "canonical room placements" and stylize them a bit, with the output being a region map thats something like this where "it all makes sense":

We think this will add a lot to the player experience, allowing them to piece together the "puzzle" of the world map with a visually satisfying end result. This will also give the regions themselves more of an individual personality and "vibe" beyond just an endless series of rooms.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:07:03 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: December 13, 2015, 05:39:49 AM »

no fog of war?

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: December 13, 2015, 06:21:38 AM »

There will be! Just not very practical to implement before you have the actual map running  Wink
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: December 13, 2015, 06:50:48 AM »

that make sense lol

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: December 13, 2015, 09:19:38 AM »

That is a gorgeous-looking map! And good call on the starvation cycle - that makes a lot of sense, and I think will lead to some wonderfully tense moments.
presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: December 13, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »

Maybe I misread this somewhere, but the world is procedurally generated right? Or is it the same map every time?
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: December 13, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »

Maybe I misread this somewhere, but the world is procedurally generated right? Or is it the same map every time?
Nope, completely hand-made. Over 1100* rooms (insane!), if I remember correctly.

presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: December 13, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »

Nope, completely hand-made. Over 1100* rooms (insane!), if I remember correctly.

Woah... On the one hand that excites me because it means there's a lot more they can do with progression, mechanics, and storyline.
On the other, it worries me because after enough time and playthroughs the map might becomes familiar and perhaps boring.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic