Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:18:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg Demakes[FINISHED] Thieving Raccoon
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Thieving Raccoon  (Read 29065 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 03:17:03 PM »

So cute! I love the whole LCD atmosphere.
From a gameplay standpoint, that safe point in the top left which is one step away from  each of the three guards makes it trivial to pick pockets if the guards don't get any faster, but still very polished and fun to play. Maybe tying the coin respawns rate to the number of steps the player makes rather than the strict time would give me more incentive to run around.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 03:57:11 PM »

This is awesome. Really awesome. But yes, it can still be improved. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »

Haha that's clever, good job with this. It's stupidly addicting without being something incredibly special and captures that "I bought this for $5 at a bargain bin for a stormy afternoon" feel of old LCD games.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 03:03:59 AM »

Very nicely made. This is a work of art on many levels.  Gentleman
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 03:08:18 AM »

I'm really pleased to see another LCD game especially one of this quality.
Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 04:55:33 AM »

Bit big for my screen but it's beautifully done.  I spent a while just examining all the different character images. 

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 05:03:14 AM »

Aww, very cute! You even have the ACL button! I dig.

Also, is this possible to make? As in, in real life? I know I'd buy one from my local Two Dollar Store.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »

Dustin - You probably wouldn't. This being my first true game in Flash, my actionscripting is pretty messy.

jimmythechang - I didn't think anyone would try that!

Noyb - I think you're absolutely right about the safe spot. I may very well address that if I have the time.

NWOGBBV - We're LCD brothers! To be honest, I didn't see your game's thread until just recently. Lookin' rad.

All - Glad people are liking it so far! I was worried it would be super-buggy.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 12:29:09 PM »

Excellent, perfect scope. Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 06:54:04 PM »

It is a rare game that delights me to this degree.  Thank you ever so much.

thewreck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 09:38:24 PM »

great game! i managed to snatch myself 8 pieces of guards-man coin!

The raccoon is fiendishly cute!

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 09:44:30 PM »

UPDATE: I've uploaded a version without safe spots, making it quite a bit harder, but hopefully more rewarding. Thoughts on the change are welcome.
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »

UPDATE: I've uploaded a version without safe spots, making it quite a bit harder, but hopefully more rewarding. Thoughts on the change are welcome.

I just tried it, and dunno, but the safe spot where you start is still available afterwards.

About the game:
The artwork is top notch of course! you recreated the oldschool feel perfectly.
On another note, even though, playing with the Keyboard is more fun IMO, is way too easy with it, and playing with the mouse made it a bit more challenging, tho, there's no button for stealing..soo...yeah.

Even though the game is super simple, it's kind of addictive!, "i kept saying, okay, just one more" till'  i closed the damn window at around 28 coins.
An online score board would be tight, it might kind of break the oldschool feeling tho.

Lovely work on it! congrats
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 06:01:41 AM »

I know people will say I am taking this too seriously, but...

I don't think the problem was the safe zones. I think the problem is that you can keep on robbing the same dog over and over. If you're patient, it is just trivial to keep robbing the right-most dog.

You could easily remedy this - just make it so the coin won't respawn unless you've stolen from a different dog first. That way you're forced to move between the three zones (which is what makes the game hard and interesting).

I still maintain that the game should get faster every 100 points (even if this does make me creepy). All the old nintendo game n' watches used to get harder, at least up to a point.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 06:28:41 AM »

the game should get faster every 100 points

I think it should be more like every 10 points, at the moment the game is too easy and slow.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »

I think these are good ideas about making it get faster. I'll play around with that. It shouldn't take too long to do, provided I can figure out how to code that kind of thing in Actionscript.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 03:34:44 PM »

cor this takes me back to the days of snoopy tennis/donkey kong junior  Beer!

my only suggestion would be to make it that the nuts/bags/coins you steal don't respawn until you collect one from each guard.

that way you don't pilfer from the easiest guard continually, and also would setup a nice completion rhythm (1,2,3 done, 1,2,3 done , etc).

hmm, now i wonder if i still have donkey jr in a box somewhere here...

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »

...coins you steal don't respawn until you collect one from each guard.

Thanks for the critique. I don't want to require the player to steal from each guard, because I want the player to make that decision themselves. Stealing from just one guard is safe and easy, but it takes longer. The less spaces the guard has around him, the harder it is to steal from him, but the faster his coin reappears. I tried to make the situation balance out that way in the players head.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 07:09:22 PM »

UPDATE 2: The game now gets faster as you reach certain point levels. You can also erase a miss for every 30 points gained, and see your high score for Game A or Game B by holding down the time button.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 01:25:51 AM »

i like the new timings on the nut respawns  Beer! (i know they aint nuts, but the look like acorns to me).
Have you considered thickening the spotlight outlines a little so its easier to spot them with your peripheral vision (or maybe i`m just sat too close to the monitor)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic