Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand what you meant with the lag. The teleportation as well. Because the paddle instantly moves to where you're touching the screen after releasing the screen.
The lag is explainable, here's Microsofts version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4
My first thought was to use the lag, actually, give the paddle a maximum movement speed, as an extra game mechanic. But early play testers (my girlfriend
) decided it felt frusterating, especially if it makes you miss the ball...
But it's a valid point, I should take another look at it and decide one-way or another.
Thanks for testing ! You may have even put more time in playing it than I did
You're raising some really interesting points. I'll go over them:Menu:
You're right. Since it currenly only has sound effects I thought people would just use the volume control buttons on the phone. But if I'm including music I should definitely add more controll here.Gameplay (co-op):
1. Good point, more people have said this. I'm currenty considering to either just finish the level with 'n' ammount of bloks left. Or I could make some kind of objective. Like erase all of the blocks of a certain kind and the level will finish. Anyway, do something to make the last couple of blocks feel like less of a chore
I'll try some different things here.
2. I really like the suggestion of beeing able to help your partner when the ball is not on your side. But I'm currently also on the fence on making coop into single-player; Leaving it as it is and just encourage people to use both thumbs.
3, 4. These are solid idea's, I'll probably add both
5. Well.. I have a good idea of what I want to do with the music, but like everything about designing a game, I'm finding it a lot harder than I thought it would be
But I'll definitly add some.Gameplay (versus):
1. I may have gone overboard on making some verus levels exiting
2. I agree. And I tried to do that. Most of the blocks here have a function, like covering a hole in the level border so you can score some easy points if you manage to remove them. But still, having a laser beam sound like a great powerup !
3. There is an indicator, like in this screenhot:
But I realize it might not show correctly on your video card in windows ..
I'll fix this ASAP.. No use in leaving a build that's parly broken ..
It's fixed. I've updated this location: http://www.deadbugprojects.com/paddlenoid/paddlenoid.zip
It should contain version 1.3.Suggestions for the future of the game:
Some interest suggestions
I'll definitly make the online play, but only in that you can share highscores
Otherwise I'm afraid it would be to heavy / complicated / error prone for the kind of game I think this should be.
Currently it's easy to create your own levels. If the game would ever pick up I think I would pursue this before generating random levels .. Document the level making process and make it easy to share the levels.
Thank you very much for your feedback ! It's much appreciated and very helpful !
I don't know when I'll have another version that will show the improvements everyone has suggested. It may be some time since I can only work on this in the evenenings and weekends .. But I'll definitly let you know !